BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2014 6:58 am  #61

Re: Der leere Sarg (TEH), German TV ARD, May 29, 2014

We discussed this in another thread and as far as I remember Germany was the only country that waited so long for them to use the informal way of address. It is really quite ridiculous and makes me wonder if the distance created by this for so long is in some way responsible for the fact that the show was never such a big success over here. If we assume that their relationship is at the heart of the show, much is lost in this regard. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2014 8:09 am  #62

I guess we will never know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that was a reason for "Sherlock" not being all that successful in Germany. That in combination with the fact that they don't air it during prime time. 
The show definitely feels different when you have them address each other in such a formal way for such a long time. I do feel the friendship when I watch the dubbed version, but there is another quality to that friendship.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 25, 2014 8:29 am  #63

True. There is far less intimacy even though the looks etc. are all there. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2014 8:51 am  #64

I blame a little bit the late hours of airing. Everytime i found it by chance and not by knowing that is on TV. I hope one day Pro7 or RTL put the series prime time. 

I didn't realise that they use "sie", but really, SIE? They should have let it aside from the moment they meet outside 221b. Seeing multiple times in english, i feel that they lost a lot "in translation", like some jokes are kind of flat in german and a lot of banter. I also don't like the voice of the german Sherlock, i adore Benedict's voice and the german one is so far away....

August 25, 2014 9:28 am  #65

Yes, we have talked about this again and again, and the moment when they meet in front of 221B would have been perfect to introduce the "Du". I think someone here from another European country (Poland? I'm not sure...) once mentioned that that was the moment when they switched to the informal adress in their dubbed version. 

As for the voice: I have gotten used to the German voice of Sherlock, I think the actor is doing a pretty good job. But of course it is not and will never be comparable to Benedict's voice.
And speaking in general, the voice is such an important instrument of every actor... take it away and replace it by another voice, and you diminish the actor's achievement.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 25, 2014 9:44 am  #66

I was really really happy with the chance they grasped now in TSoT. The scene was so lovely and thich with meaning and emotions and dubbed actually my favorite in the series. Ben and Martin just bounce each other off so wonderfully and the German voices did a fine job this time.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 25, 2014 9:47 am  #67

That's true. Ironically this scene is even more charged with meaning in the dubbed version now than in the original version. 

August 25, 2014 10:24 am  #68

I think that the german version pictures the relationship between Sherlock and John more cold then the original. Perhaps was the Sie, perhaps are the original voices more warm, perhaps the sexual jokes are not so clear in german. 

August 29, 2014 9:44 am  #69

Thanks to my tech wizard brother I've now watched some clips from the German S3, and happily the "best man question" was among them. Well done, is all I can say! There's actually a moment when Sherlock stumbles over the Du/Sie thing, starting a sentence with Sie and then switching very deliberately to Du. Very poignant indeed!

I must admit - although of course it's not Benedict's real voice and there is nothing on earth (including Germany) to compare to Benedict's voice, I thought the German voices weren't bad at all! Sherlock's is suitably posh and nonchalant and John's got a suitable edge to it.

I have another question about the Du/Sie thing. Until TSOT they say Sie but they do address each other by their first names. Who, in 21st century Germany, ever does that?

Last edited by La Jolie (August 29, 2014 9:45 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 29, 2014 9:47 am  #70

Very good question - very few people, I would say. It is a construct, the attempt to find a way between the formal and informal address. But it does not sit right with me for all those episodes because it is basically artificial. And I am quite sure that the "Sie" creates a distance which changes people's perception of the show as a whole. 

August 29, 2014 10:00 am  #71

SusiGo wrote:

And I am quite sure that the "Sie" creates a distance which changes people's perception of the show as a whole. 

Yup, it do it to me. 

August 29, 2014 10:09 am  #72

I felt the same.
Hubby said, it was kind of "special" and it felt right to him.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 29, 2014 10:26 am  #73

If you are used to it and don't know the original version, I am sure you don't miss something.
Until autumn last year I only knew the dubbed version as well and it was okay for me. Then experiencing the original was a complete change.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 29, 2014 10:47 am  #74

La Jolie wrote:

I have another question about the Du/Sie thing. Until TSOT they say Sie but they do address each other by their first names. Who, in 21st century Germany, ever does that?

Hardly anybody. Especially not flatmates or friends.

Plus, the use of first name and Sie is not common in Germany at all.
Some teachers address their highschool students that way.

If you are friends with a person it's most often Du, if you are not, it's Sie and family name.

Last edited by Harriet (August 29, 2014 10:50 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 29, 2014 11:06 am  #75

Harriet, jetzt reden Sie mal keinen Unsinn...!
See, I'm friends with you and would never say "Du" to you!

August 29, 2014 11:10 am  #76

Read carefully: "most often". But don't ARD-Sherlock me! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 30, 2014 12:21 pm  #77

Harriet wrote:

Yes, I seem to remember that.

Not quite the sort of relationship I picture for Sherlock and John (either way).

What about the other characters then, do Sherlock and John "ARD-Sherlock" them, too (since this seems to be our new word for "first name plus Sie")?

Mycroft? Greg? Molly?

Let me guess: Sherlock duzes Mycroft and Molly and ARD-Sherlocks Greg, and John ARD-Sherlocks them all?

Last edited by La Jolie (August 30, 2014 12:22 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 30, 2014 12:36 pm  #78

As far as I remember, everybody says "Sie" to everybody, except for Sherlock-Mycroft.

August 30, 2014 7:54 pm  #79

Harriet wrote:

La Jolie wrote:

Hardly anybody. Especially not flatmates or friends.

Plus, the use of first name and Sie is not common in Germany at all.

The combination of first name plus Sie is not very common indeed but it still exists. The first time I heard it was at university, and I learned that this term of address is called "Hamburger Sie"
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_Sie

I am quite fond of this and would be happy to use it more often. Sometimes Sie + family name is too formal yet Du + first name would feel too close. Why don't we use the subtle nuances that our language offers to express the different kinds of formality or closeness in a relationship? I particularly remember the time when someone who is very dear to me switched from Sie + family name to Sie + first name. Later on we progressed to use Du but somehow the time when we used the Hamburger Sie stayed in my memory as a particularly beautiful stage of our relationship. So maybe I am biased by my personal experience but I thought the use of Sie + first name was quite appropriate at least in the first series of Sherlock. I admit that it sounded a bit formal when they stayed with it but then again it offered them a great opportunity to make the best man request even more meaningful when John finally changed from Sie to Du.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

August 30, 2014 8:03 pm  #80

SolarSystem wrote:

As far as I remember, everybody says "Sie" to everybody, except for Sherlock-Mycroft.

Not quite - I checked it.
In "Der leere Sarg" say "Du":
John - Mary
Anderson - Laura
Sherlock - Mummy
and, as you mentioned, Solar,
Sherlock - Mycroft

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera