BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2014 8:43 pm  #1

Will the series be the same for those watching it later?

I found the series only in 2012 when both the first and second series where available for me to watch so the cliffhanger at the end of series 1 did not have the same effect to me as it may have had for those who watched it when it originally aired.
So I just wondered especially about episode 3.1 which plays a lot with what was going on with the fanbase during the two years break and so I feel it won't be the same for those watching the episode without knowing about all the speculating that was going on and having experienced that.
These people won't know what the Mini-episode meant for us as a first sign of life from the series after a two years wait, so I have no idea how this piece will be looked at without this background.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

May 29, 2014 9:53 pm  #2

Re: Will the series be the same for those watching it later?

The cliffhanger was resolved much faster in 2.01; in 3.01 it takes up most of the episode. Also without knowledge of how much fan creativity was happening between 2.03 & 3.01 makes it les rewarding to see the show's explanation. But it will still be a lot of fun to watch

May 29, 2014 10:26 pm  #3

You're right, it won't be the same. My dad started watching Sherlock recently (he's already watched Scandal) and I'm sure he won't be enjoying The Empty Hearse as much as I did; he probably won't notice some subtexts or understand Sherlock's and Moriarty's kiss... Well, what can you do I'll tell him about fans' activity during hiatus (a part of it - I dont want him to think we're crazy) but he'll never feel like I feel when I watch this episode.

After the Great Game, he just played Scandal, watched the beginning and turned it off. I laugh because he can't do it with the second cliffhanger 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 29, 2014 11:29 pm  #4

Marta wrote:

You're right, it won't be the same. My dad started watching Sherlock recently (he's already watched Scandal) and I'm sure he won't be enjoying The Empty Hearse as much as I did; he probably won't notice some subtexts or understand Sherlock's and Moriarty's kiss... Well, what can you do I'll tell him about fans' activity during hiatus (a part of it - I dont want him to think we're crazy) but he'll never feel like I feel when I watch this episode.

That's exactly what I am now doing with some people, I inform them about the two years hiatus and the fanbase that went crazy about some theories and then I let them watch TEH, but still it won't mean as much to them as it did for us and I think very much of the 'magic' of TEH came from the relief we had when finally the waiting was over and we got some new Sherlock.
So for me the waiting in between the series is also part of the whole experience that is Sherlock and though I do hope everybody enjoys watching the episodes I guess it won't mean the same to those who can watch the episodes one by one.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

May 30, 2014 3:19 pm  #5

I've started to watch Sherlock in February this year and I agree that not waiting 2 years for another season maybe (for a little) lower the enjoyment of watching TEH because, well, when I ended watching The Reichenbach Fall I just immediately turned on the next episode. I also, when I finished all seasons, was a little bit confused and astonished when I found out this huge amount of discussions, theories about Sherlock's fall and other crazy things that fans were making. It took me some time to realise "Damn, why am I surprised, I have waited about 5 minutes before watching TEH, other people have waited 2 years! It was sooo long time to wait." That time I thought I was lucky that I didn't have to wait but when I think about it now, it occured to me that perhaps I am note quite full in my experience of watching Sherlock because I have missed all this... well I don't know how exactly should I call it... "union" with fandom. So, to some extent, I'm happy that this time I will wait next couple of years and will be inside this big, great Sherlock's family.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 30, 2014 3:32 pm  #6

I see what you mean. The hiatus is somehow part of the attraction even if it is very hard to wait so long. But it is funny to see the silly and hilarious gifs and photoshops popping up on tumblr when people start getting really mad with waiting. So this time you will be part of it, for better or worse. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 30, 2014 3:58 pm  #7

SusiGo wrote:

I see what you mean. The hiatus is somehow part of the attraction even if it is very hard to wait so long. But it is funny to see the silly and hilarious gifs and photoshops popping up on tumblr when people start getting really mad with waiting. So this time you will be part of it, for better or worse. 

Exactly! Waiting for any tiny clue about air date, compulsive reading of producer's twitter hoping that they will give us any information, watching (and making) all this funny photoshops, sharing joy and happines but also sadness and disappointment with other fans - I think that's somehow good compensation for our patience and waiting.

Last edited by MartaSt (May 30, 2014 4:02 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 30, 2014 5:09 pm  #8

The joy when you see Benedict's dyed hair, first photos from the set, waiting for the three words... It's all a part of the expierience. It's like when you marry a man/a woman, you marry his/her family, too. When you decide to watch Sherlock, you don't "marry" only the episodes, you "marry" hiatuses, too. And everything what is going on on that time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 30, 2014 7:07 pm  #9

There's nothing like the wait full of impatience, making up more and more crazy theories, confusion and excitement about all vague hints given away by the creators, countdown to the air date and at last rejoicing when the new episodes come out! :D

The Road goes ever on and on...

April 21, 2015 11:52 am  #10

No, the impact is not the same when you don't have to wait between seasons. I know - I watched all three seasons more or less continuously (TRF and TEH on the same evening).

But worse, I think that in a few years time, when the visuals are no longer as stunning, because the camera "tricks" have been re-used in other shows, people will wonder what all the fuss was about. All that will remain is some fabulous acting - and who watches the fabulous tv actors of the last decades?

April 21, 2015 12:33 pm  #11

No, I don't think it's the same. I saw this happening with Harry Potter. The kids finished book one, and went to buy book two. And some even watched the films first, before reading the books! They have no idea how the waiting felt, the storming of bookshops, the casting process for the film, the first glimpse of scenes... I definitely know it's not the same, and I'm very sure with Sherlock it's the same. I didn't need to wait really long for series 2, and the end of Great Game will never capture me as much as that of Reichenbach Fall, because the wait will always echo somewhere when I see the last minutes of Reichenbach - even knowing the next episode is on my DVD next to me.
The experience carries the films, in a way. I think having to wait two years for a film changes the experience of finally watching it. The setting, the build-up, it all matters.

I do think you're right, Kittyhawk. But that's just how things are. And some TV series stay famous, some don't. Who knows, maybe Sherlock becomes a "classic" one day.

Are there actually other films that hint as much to the fanbase as TEH? Because fandoms become visible nowadays, I wonder if other film makers went the same direction, acknowledging their fandoms. Probably there is already a thread about that here?

Last edited by Whisky (April 21, 2015 12:39 pm)

"It is what it is."

April 21, 2015 2:53 pm  #12

The last big fandom I was somewhat involved in was Highlander. And there the makers didn't acknowledge them directly as "fans" in the show (would have been difficult, as Immortals are supposedly living mostly unrecognized amongst us). But they did introduce a society of "Watchers" who observe and record... And they most definitely catered to the fans with first VHS tapes, then DVDs with bonuses, tie-in novels, episode guides, conventions, imitation swords - you name it, they did it. Actually I think the BBC could learn a thing or two from Davis-Panzer...
For lack of tv I've no idea what's going on right now, though...

April 21, 2015 7:11 pm  #13

Kittyhawk wrote:

No, the impact is not the same when you don't have to wait between seasons. I know - I watched all three seasons more or less continuously (TRF and TEH on the same evening).

But worse, I think that in a few years time, when the visuals are no longer as stunning, because the camera "tricks" have been re-used in other shows, people will wonder what all the fuss was about. All that will remain is some fabulous acting - and who watches the fabulous tv actors of the last decades?

The visuals mean nothing to me. For me, it's about the characters and the storylines, and those are what will stand the test of time. (Although not TEH which is terrible, IMO).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 22, 2015 11:02 am  #14

Sorry to disagree, but I do not think that the storylines will stand the test of time. For me they don't even work now. Which I can live with because the characters are great and the visuals new and amazing. I really wonder what would have become of the show if they had aired the pilot...

April 22, 2015 12:19 pm  #15

Whisky wrote:

Are there actually other films that hint as much to the fanbase as TEH? Because fandoms become visible nowadays, I wonder if other film makers went the same direction, acknowledging their fandoms. Probably there is already a thread about that here?

I’m a fan of both Scrubs and Cougar Town by Bill Lawrence. Both shows are quite meta and reference what went on in the fanbase at a given time a lot. It actually adds a whole other layer to the comedy.

For if the show depends on its visuals: I think in the beginning it did. I am personally not sure if I would have ever become as obsessed with the show if everything had been shot in the style of the pilot. But the aired episodes are something I just cannot take my eyes off from. I think by now the show is just a phenomenon in itself, like shows like Lost, Breaking Bad, GoT. Is there any other show that has so few episodes and has created so many stars? I think by now it’s the total package: see the break-through of still largely unknown talent, the fantastic visuals, the marvellous acting, the well-known-yet-surprising storylines, the unbelievable music and yes (bringing this back to topic) the frustratingly long hiatuses which push the fandom into creative overdrive. For new viewers the experience is different (I am one of them) you still see the visuals, the acting, the storylines and the music, but you also see the stars in their breakthrough roles and you get your answers when you ask the question, not two years later. So no, it’s not the same, but it’s still good. I am glad that I found the show and the fandom while the show is still being made, I love the probably eventually pointless discussions that get way too passionate, I love the elaborate theories, I love the fanfic and fanart, but I think the show will still be enjoyable after the final episode has aired. If it will become a classic? Who knows? It will have its place as one of the great British Sherlock Holmes interpretations, but for the rest only time will tell.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

April 22, 2015 12:33 pm  #16

Wonderfully said, Lola. I would sign all this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 22, 2015 2:08 pm  #17

I second that. Very well said.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 22, 2015 7:35 pm  #18

Kittyhawk wrote:

Sorry to disagree, but I do not think that the storylines will stand the test of time. For me they don't even work now. Which I can live with because the characters are great and the visuals new and amazing. I really wonder what would have become of the show if they had aired the pilot...

Why do you watch it then? Just for the visuals and the characters? Surely there's got to be a bit more to your interest than that? Otherwise you wouldn't be here on a Sherlock forum posting about it.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (April 22, 2015 7:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 23, 2015 12:00 pm  #19

I watch it for the characters and the visuals (in that order). I'm on the forum for the fun of "error-hunting" which then leads to learning all sorts of things - from the legality of pocket knives to human anatomy.

(I am perfectly capable of watching absolute crap - like Moonlight - if I like the characters whereas I'll switch off recognized "works of art" - like Last Tango in Paris - if I don't like them.)

Back to visuals: Does anybody understand when I say that for me the pilot could just as well have been filmed in 4:3 aspect ratio (you remember, back in prehistory that was what tvs looked like...) whereas I'm really, really happy to have a nice big 16:9 screen for the series as it is now?

Last edited by Kittyhawk (April 23, 2015 1:38 pm)

April 23, 2015 3:15 pm  #20

I think I get what you mean. To me the pilot looks and feels like television. The aired episodes look like they have been made for cinema. They are just a whole different beast. Not only the visuals, too, but also the acting and the pacing has profited from the rework, everything seems a bit more spot-on (though Ben might sometimes wish he could still deliver his long monologues at a half human speed). It’s quite unlike what you usually get to see on the small screen.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

Board footera