BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2015 3:26 pm  #81

Re: Sherlock fan fiction tropes about food, sleep, and injuries

Yeah, for me it depends on what I'm looking for. Sometimes I want to read a good, long story with a slow development. Something that is 20+ chapters with interesting dynamics and development. In those stories, I might sometimes even just skim quickly through the sex-part because that's not why I'm reading it. 

Other times, all I want is smut. And then I don't care one bit for whatever cliche they have (except tounges battling for dominance, I will never get over it). Then I read it for the filth and nothing else, and care nothing about how much tea John makes and how little Sherlock eats. 

I don't mind fics where Sherlock is a virgin and not quite sure how to progress the relationship with him and John, but some fics tend to take that trope and run with it over the hill and far away. When Sherlock seem to be written like a wide-eyed kid that John has to spell everything out for (because "virgin" seemingly means "I have lived under a rock all my life and don't even know how to masturbate"), that's when they lose me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 7, 2015 7:40 am  #82

Kittyhawk wrote:

And now I wonder whether I am being unfair: This story comes very highly recommnended and it has been written two years ago. Were the cited overused tropes already overused then? Or were they orgininal at the time? 

I think this is an excellent question. I hope someone who's been into Sherlock fanfic since before The Fall will answer it. (I came late to the show, so I wouldn't know.)

In fairness, I think one has to distinguish between tropes or clichés that come from the show itself, and those that were created within the fandom. I personally often find that the latter ones jar terribly; but the former sort, why not?

I've recently written two scenes for a story of mine, one in which John makes tea for Sherlock, and one in which John (and not Sherlock) pays the taxi driver, so this recent discussion in here really got me thinking. But as long as that's what they do in the show, how is it unoriginal or annoying to write it in fanfic, too? The moment we see Sherlock paying for a taxi ride or making tea for John in the actual show, I'll be ready to revise my perceptions; but before that, I'll stick with what's canonical.

(That said, I do agree that it's great fun when writers manage to turn the clichés on their head. I love that.)

Oh, and btw, I HATE "clueless virgin Sherlock", too. If anyone ever made a very, VERY informed and deliberate decision to remain a virgin, it's him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

July 7, 2015 12:01 pm  #83

If he really did - all we have is Irene Adler's word for it, quoting Moriarty. Not the two most reliable sources of information, I'd think.

I don't think there's any need to stick too closely to what we see on the show: We know that Sherlock is able to make tea (he does so for Moriarty) and he has made coffee (or at least poured it) for John (Baskerville) - so why shouldn't he make tea for John every once in a while? Every now and then he might need boiling water for an experiment anyway - plopping teabags in two mugs and filling them as well isn't a big deal...

Proper cooking, on the other hand, is. So I completely understand if John and Sherlock prefer not to do it most of the time. And now I really should get around to prepare something for lunch...

As for the cabs: I'd like to see them using the tube more often (in fanfic - I do understand that cabs are easier to film than the underground). Not only for money reasons, but because I'm pretty sure that often enough the underground would be a lot faster than a cab in a traffic jam (given that you can catch up with a cab on foot....)

Last edited by Kittyhawk (July 7, 2015 12:20 pm)

July 29, 2015 5:21 pm  #84

There's another Sherlock food trope I've come across in many fics. Regarding how John has to more or less struggle to get Sherlock to eat anything, he will often solve it by making a larger than usual portion for himself seeing as Sherlock often tends to steal food from his plate.

I've seen this in a LOT of fics, and I wonder where it comes from? Sherlock never steals food from anyone in the show. Closest thing is nicking a mince pie from Mrs Hudson fridge once, but never from anyone's plate. So where does this come from?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 29, 2015 5:25 pm  #85

There's a tendency to make John the nagging housewife/mother and Sherlock the bratty/fussy/7-year old child in a lot of fic-- that's usually the trope that I've seen where Sherlock is constantly stealing John's food. Either that, or he's a fussy cat. :-)

July 30, 2015 12:18 pm  #86

Vhanja wrote:

....So where does this come from?

I have a feeling that fanfic writers get inspired as much by fanfic stories as by the show itself - consciously or unconsciously. And I'm expressly not critizising anybody or accusing of plagiarism - it's all fine, really (as long a writers don't copy whole paragraphs from other writers). It makes original ideas all the more interesting. Though by now I've read "cooking is just applied chemistry" (and variations thereof) so often that it gets old as well...

August 9, 2015 1:24 am  #87

Got another two tropes I come across quite frequently:

1. Sherlock using expensive shampoo. I reckon this is another one of those were fics are fueled by other fics, because I have no idea where this came from.

2. John coming from a divorced/troubled background, wanting to be with Mary to "set an example". This confuses me even more. The first one I can - almost - understand from Sherlock seeming quite "posh" and "public school" in general when it comes to apperance, but I have no clue where this idea stems from. Anyone know?

Team Hudders!

August 9, 2015 3:52 am  #88

And , here's another one-- Sherlock only gets into trouble when he "runs off on his own". as if he didn't take down Moriarty's organization "on his own" for two years-- and hadn't been a Consulting Detective "on his own", before he ever met John. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 9, 2015 3:52 am)

August 9, 2015 7:23 pm  #89

Vhanja wrote:

Got another two tropes I come across quite frequently:

1. Sherlock using expensive shampoo. I reckon this is another one of those were fics are fueled by other fics, because I have no idea where this came from.

I've always found that one a little strange.  I'm thinking it probably comes from the fact that he wears suits and nice shirts all the time, perhaps the fact that we know from interviews that the clothing for the show is expensive.  I always found it clashes with Sherlock's character.  I always thought he wouldn't bother paying a lot of money on something like that. Too tedious.

Clueing for looks.

August 9, 2015 8:05 pm  #90

While this is not mentioned in the show, I think it fits very well with his outward appearance. He dresses very well, not just expensively, but with class and style, and there is his carefully styled "un-styled" hair. And remember Janine hinting at the time he spends in the bathroom. And since he allegedly does not use "product" for styling - unlike John and Jim from IT - he might at least go for a very good shampoo. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 9, 2015 8:09 pm  #91

I suppose so, but I still think he wouldn't spend unecessary amounts of money on something if he didn't have to.  But it's pretty much all speculation, so who knows.

Clueing for looks.

August 11, 2015 11:01 am  #92

Yitzock wrote:

I suppose so, but I still think he wouldn't spend unecessary amounts of money on something if he didn't have to.  But it's pretty much all speculation, so who knows.

Well, I know for sure that one doesn't have to spend over a thousand pounds on a coat to stay warm ;)
(Though there's one thing to be said for (relatively) expensive clothing: It's much easier (and thus faster) to get good fit.)

Since Sherlock apparently doesn't do the shopping, but, judging from what we see of his hair, regularly goes to the hairdresser, he just might buy his shampoo there.

On the other hand, I could see Sherlock just as easily not bother buying shampoo at all and nicking John's instead.

August 11, 2015 7:58 pm  #93

I guess sometimes convenience can be something other than money (although just because the coat in real life costs a certain amoutn, doesn't mean it would in the realm of the show, it's also something you only have to buy once, even if you do have more than one like Sherlock alludes to).

But I can see that happening, him buying it if he's at the right place for another reason, and then if he runs out just using what's already there.

Clueing for looks.

August 12, 2015 4:22 am  #94

Vhanja wrote:

2. John coming from a divorced/troubled background, wanting to be with Mary to "set an example". This confuses me even more.

John is shown as a very angry, troubled character, especially later in the show. I think from wondering why he is like that to assuming he has some kind of troubled background it's only a small step.

I personally know the feeling of wanting to set an example. My parents got divorced after having a really unhealthy marriage, and for me it has always beein important to make my own marriage a better one. Therefore, I can see where that thought comes from.
And, for some writers it is not easy to get what ties John to Mary, especially after the events of HLV. The setting an example thing might be an expanation for them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 12, 2015 9:07 am  #95

Schmiezi wrote:

John is shown as a very angry, troubled character, especially later in the show. I think from wondering why he is like that to assuming he has some kind of troubled background it's only a small step.

I personally know the feeling of wanting to set an example. My parents got divorced after having a really unhealthy marriage, and for me it has always beein important to make my own marriage a better one. Therefore, I can see where that thought comes from.
And, for some writers it is not easy to get what ties John to Mary, especially after the events of HLV. The setting an example thing might be an expanation for them.

That is actually quite a good explanation. I think having a sister who's an alcoholic also leads to speculation about their background.

Team Hudders!

August 24, 2015 7:50 pm  #96

Schmiezi wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

2. John coming from a divorced/troubled background, wanting to be with Mary to "set an example". This confuses me even more.

This is a hard one for me. I just can't seem to get past the , "but she shot Sherlock", part. And the "She LIED to him, " part. Part of that might be because so many fics feature John really putting Sherlock through the ringer for having lied to him for two years-- it's like a litany..."Two years-- TWO YEARS!!!!" And then the pummelling begins. 

That sort of set up of John's character is hard to put aside when trying to write John being happy (or just being at ALL) in his marriage with Mary. 

August 25, 2015 4:23 am  #97

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

This is a hard one for me. I just can't seem to get past the , "but she shot Sherlock", part. And the "She LIED to him, " part. Part of that might be because so many fics feature John really putting Sherlock through the ringer for having lied to him for two years-- it's like a litany..."Two years-- TWO YEARS!!!!" And then the pummelling begins. 

That sort of set up of John's character is hard to put aside when trying to write John being happy (or just being at ALL) in his marriage with Mary. 

Absolutely. I am trying something inside my mind for my next fan fic, and I just realized yesterday that "unhappy marriage" is the closest I can get to describe John's and Mary's relationship. Everything else just does not make sense to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera