BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2014 3:22 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock fan fiction tropes about food, sleep, and injuries

SusiGo wrote:

I agree, being a h/c fan as well. Just wanting to add that I have read fics in which a character has to be helped to the toilet but usually is left there alone. 

Yes, I know (and I've done that in Hazard Control too, after all). Don't want to see anyone's butt being wiped though.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

May 22, 2014 3:55 pm  #22

Uh oh, now I feel very self-conscious about the Sherlock h/c stories I've written... I hope I didn't overdo it, but in my defense I always try to make them as canon-compliant and realistic as I can with the knowledge I have.

(There's this one story where Sherlock has food poisoning and John finds him spewing bile into the toilet. Does that count? Although Sherlock refused help, and John quielty slunk away as per Sherlock's request.)

That said, does anyone have any good h/c story recs other than "Triage"? Even though I'm not a Johnlocker, I don't mind a bit of mild slash if it's not explicit and not the predominant story focus.

May 22, 2014 4:10 pm  #23

TeeJay wrote:

Uh oh, now I feel very self-conscious about the Sherlock h/c stories I've written... I hope I didn't overdo it, but in my defense I always try to make them as canon-compliant and realistic as I can with the knowledge I have.

(There's this one story where Sherlock has food poisoning and John finds him spewing bile into the toilet. Does that count? Although Sherlock refused help, and John quielty slunk away as per Sherlock's request.)

That said, does anyone have any good h/c story recs other than "Triage"? Even though I'm not a Johnlocker, I don't mind a bit of mild slash if it's not explicit and not the predominant story focus.

Here you are:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7742535/1/I-m-Not-In-Shock

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8469317/1/A-Little-Leverage

If I may attempt some shameless self-advertisement, you could also have a look at these:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8672952/1/Not-an-Island-After-All

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8717927/1/Rising-to-the-Occasion

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 22, 2014 5:18 pm  #24

Kerkerian wrote:

since no one would want to read about someone needing to be helped in the toilet, for example

That reminds me of another good fic I read. Sherlock gets kidnapped and hooked on drugs and John gets him through detox. The writer really knew their medical stuff and it felt so in character. There's a scene where, well, it's coming out of both ends (not graphically, thank goodness) and John is helping Sherlock and being totally professional about it while Sherlock is ashamed. Sherlock's a good patient in it. It's called The Edge of Sanity.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 22, 2014 5:41 pm  #25

Kerkerian wrote:

Here you are

I have all of these bookmarked already! Rise to the Occasion has a quote that always makes me laugh, about Sherlock avoiding small talk with Sarah ("So been to the circus lately?").

There is another inadvertently funny moment in this fic, and I don't mean to insult you, but I'm pretty sure Sherlock meant to help John out of his trousers, not his pants...

Mary

May 22, 2014 5:44 pm  #26

Great, I've downloaded all of these and I'm gonna put them on my eReader for my England trip next week. Yay! I might actually have already read some of them, but I'm happy to re-read a good h/c fic any day.

May 22, 2014 8:22 pm  #27

maryagrawatson wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

Here you are

I have all of these bookmarked already! Rise to the Occasion has a quote that always makes me laugh, about Sherlock avoiding small talk with Sarah ("So been to the circus lately?").

There is another inadvertently funny moment in this fic, and I don't mean to insult you, but I'm pretty sure Sherlock meant to help John out of his trousers, not his pants...

Mary

Hehe, I watched too many American sitcoms, apparently.

TeeJay: Are you going to be at Hay festival?

May 22, 2014 9:05 pm  #28

Kerkerian wrote:

TeeJay: Are you going to be at Hay festival?

I didn't even know there was such a thing, so I guess that's a no. I'm visiting my best friend who lives in Banbury. I timed it for this week so I could also meet a Canadian friend who I will visit in Ludlow for a day. And I might meet one of the French Sherlock fans from this very message board in London, but we're not sure yet if that's gonna work out.

I might have planned to include the Hay Festival if I'd had a bit more notice, since it's not that far from Ludlow, but I don't think I can squeeze it into my current plans. Hey, maybe next year. Are you attending? Is there anything Sherlockian going on there that I'd be missing out on?

Last edited by TeeJay (May 22, 2014 9:06 pm)

May 22, 2014 9:48 pm  #29

Ouch, ouch!

This story is like the epitome of every cliche I hate in Sherlock hurt-comfort fanfiction. 

We are not a minute in the story and here it is: 

„I don´t want to go to bed,“ Sherlock whined, like a child

And just four sentences later: 

You remember what happened the last time he was in Casualty?“„Oh, yeah. I had to give a formal apology to those nuns. Fair enough.“ 

Tradada! „Sherlock as a patient from hell“. Exactly what I was criticising before. 

It was quite unbelievable in the show itself that John and Lestrade didn´t take Sherlock into hospital after he was injected with an unknown substance after which he lost consciousness (he could have died!), but it´s even more absurd here. Yeah, like Sherlock is the first difficult patient they ever saw in the hospital. Of course, they never treated anyone drugged or out of it before (sarcasm). 

And it´s something absolutely proffesional not to help the injured person because he was snarky to you before – like the policemen in this story did. It´s perfectly OK to amuse yourself while your friend is loosing consciousness every minute because he was poisoned by a potential murderer. Lestrade and John were supposed to be like, „smart“, in this? They were positively imbecilic. 

I´m not even sure this was really a hurt-comfort story. It had no comfort side, no real care about Sherlock from the characters we were supposed to identify with. It was a classical „Sherlock as a stupid madman“ story with some „mediocre characters are having fun at Sherlock´s expence“ sprinkled in it. 

It fully OK to have vomiting, throwing up into a toilet or having a bowel problems in a hurt-comfort story, if the characters are treated with respect and if  the medical treatment is described with realism or at least poetically, so that „it provides a substitute for being close to the person one is putting into peril by projecting one's own emotions/desires/concerns etc. onto the caring person in the story (usually)“ and „it makes the "victim" more accessible because they are vulnerable and sometimes helpless to a certain degree whereas they usually show strength and independency“. 

But this was not it, I´m afraid. It was the very opposite. 

Last edited by nakahara (May 22, 2014 9:49 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 22, 2014 11:24 pm  #30

Nakahara, if I ever decide to jump into the pool and write fic, I want you to be my proofreader.

Here's a link to one of the first fics I read and which made me want more. It is so beautiful, sad, and leaves you wishing for more: Sound of Silence.

And here's another story I love: Sherlock with a baby: Innocent. Not H/C or anything, but just a fine example of a writer not giving in to tropes.

Mary

Last edited by maryagrawatson (May 22, 2014 11:33 pm)

May 23, 2014 5:19 am  #31

nakahara wrote:

Ouch, ouch!

This story is like the epitome of every cliche I hate in Sherlock hurt-comfort fanfiction. 

We are not a minute in the story and here it is: 

„I don´t want to go to bed,“ Sherlock whined, like a child

And just four sentences later: 

You remember what happened the last time he was in Casualty?“„Oh, yeah. I had to give a formal apology to those nuns. Fair enough.“ 

Tradada! „Sherlock as a patient from hell“. Exactly what I was criticising before. 

It was quite unbelievable in the show itself that John and Lestrade didn´t take Sherlock into hospital after he was injected with an unknown substance after which he lost consciousness (he could have died!), but it´s even more absurd here. Yeah, like Sherlock is the first difficult patient they ever saw in the hospital. Of course, they never treated anyone drugged or out of it before (sarcasm). 

And it´s something absolutely proffesional not to help the injured person because he was snarky to you before – like the policemen in this story did. It´s perfectly OK to amuse yourself while your friend is loosing consciousness every minute because he was poisoned by a potential murderer. Lestrade and John were supposed to be like, „smart“, in this? They were positively imbecilic. 

I´m not even sure this was really a hurt-comfort story. It had no comfort side, no real care about Sherlock from the characters we were supposed to identify with. It was a classical „Sherlock as a stupid madman“ story with some „mediocre characters are having fun at Sherlock´s expence“ sprinkled in it. 

It fully OK to have vomiting, throwing up into a toilet or having a bowel problems in a hurt-comfort story, if the characters are treated with respect and if  the medical treatment is described with realism or at least poetically, so that „it provides a substitute for being close to the person one is putting into peril by projecting one's own emotions/desires/concerns etc. onto the caring person in the story (usually)“ and „it makes the "victim" more accessible because they are vulnerable and sometimes helpless to a certain degree whereas they usually show strength and independency“. 

But this was not it, I´m afraid. It was the very opposite. 

Wow, this seems to rile you!
As I said, I'm not at all a fan of terms like "whined", but in this story, since Sherlock is drugged and not his usual self, it was fitting in my opinion, because the story is quite humourous. Also, I think we all know what sarcasm is, thank you; I understood the bit about apologizing to the people in A/E differently, namely that Sherlock was acerbic, probably deduced them in a rather unkind manner as one's wont of him. I don't think John actually apologized, he probably just said it to Lestrade to make his point (sarcasm).
I could go on, but I don't have the time now and frankly, I find it a little unnecessary to kick up so much ado about one single story. Let's just bear in mind that everyone reads things differently.

May 23, 2014 7:56 am  #32

Kerkerian wrote:

Wow, this seems to rile you!
As I said, I'm not at all a fan of terms like "whined", but in this story, since Sherlock is drugged and not his usual self, it was fitting in my opinion, because the story is quite humourous. Also, I think we all know what sarcasm is, thank you; I understood the bit about apologizing to the people in A/E differently, namely that Sherlock was acerbic, probably deduced them in a rather unkind manner as one's wont of him. I don't think John actually apologized, he probably just said it to Lestrade to make his point (sarcasm).
I could go on, but I don't have the time now and frankly, I find it a little unnecessary to kick up so much ado about one single story. Let's just bear in mind that everyone reads things differently.

There´s no reason to be insulted by my post - I was not criticising you or your reading choices or the author of the piece, I was criticising the tropes I hate in this kind of fiction. On the forum, this is the best topic where I can express my disgust of them with impunity ().

And yes, the tropes used in this particular story rubbed me the wrong way. I am alergic on the plot device of "people having fun at the expence of a sick/injured/drugged up person". Exploiting the weakness of physically or mentally incapaciated people in this manner never amused me in real life and ceases to amuse me in fiction as well.

I would maybe see things in a more favourable light if those cliches I mentioned weren´t used like in 99 stories out of 100. But seeing the same shit over and over is tiring. It´s like an equivalent of cream cakes being thrown into people´s faces in comedies of the foregone era of silent films - it was funny 100 years ago, but this kind of humour is quite old now.

But I don´t want to sound like an old fusspot all the time, so here are some hurt-comfort stories I liked:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9403162/1/Shatter

This one had an interesting premise and the author managed to avoid all of the above-mentioned cliches. He/She doesn´t do this in all of her stories, but she pulled it off successfully in this one.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/366227

"Mental" by Boeshane42 is a very beautiful story, exactly to my liking. Some slash on John´s part (in his dreams), but those scenes can be skipped.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 23, 2014 8:18 am  #33

And I forgot to metion one of the best sick fics I read on Sherlock:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8249826/1/Electric-Pink-Hand-Grenade

It´s quite slashy and wordy, I´m afraid, but it´s worth your time. The author, "beautiful fiction", is very skilled in writing beautiful characterisations of her heroes and believable, touching situations. She is probably already known to you, but I must cite her as an example of the author whose fiction is precisely what I like to read in "hurt-comfort" stories. 

May 23, 2014 8:35 am  #34

Oh, this is one of my favourites. Could read it again and again. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 23, 2014 9:19 am  #35

Yes, that is definitely one of the best fics I've ever read.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 23, 2014 1:48 pm  #36

Why am I only discovering this fic now?! Thank you. In another thread, I commented on how I hate John's temper and resorting to violence when he's frustrated with Sherlock. The first time, in SIB, was almost funny, but it became a pattern in series 3 and really bothered me. I love and feel just as protective of the character of John as I do Sherlock, but I hate this side of him and think that he needs help. I wish this fic was canon.

Mary

May 24, 2014 2:39 am  #37

OMG h/c is one of my favourite tropes - although I share many of the views here about needing it to be in character. You've posted all these links and recs and now I need to go and read them!!! YAY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 24, 2014 7:17 pm  #38

maryagrawatson wrote:

Why am I only discovering this fic now?! Thank you. In another thread, I commented on how I hate John's temper and resorting to violence when he's frustrated with Sherlock. The first time, in SIB, was almost funny, but it became a pattern in series 3 and really bothered me. I love and feel just as protective of the character of John as I do Sherlock, but I hate this side of him and think that he needs help. I wish this fic was canon.

Mary

That´s exactly why I liked the story as well. I read tons of fics where John punches Sherlock into his face and it´s treated like nothing happened - this author is almost the only one who realised that such violence comes with consequences. A very dire consequences.

But if this story ever becomes canon, I wish they would let John injure Sherlock on some other part of his body - I would hate to see his beautiful face marred.

May 24, 2014 7:21 pm  #39

I loved the story as well. Fresh perspective, very well written. But you are right, nakahara, he should avoid the face. And I think in the series he has physically attacked Sherlock often enough. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 24, 2014 8:06 pm  #40

Yes, Sherlock was beaten by his friends enough by now.
The authors should finally turn the table and make this a canon:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/990555/chapters/1954960?view_adult=true

Board footera