BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2014 1:31 pm  #61

Re: Black Mass

I am torn between "Yay, more Benedict!!!!" and "More Benedict demonstrating that he can't do an American accent if his life depended on it"... (Have you seen him in "The Whistleblower"? ) and "Why is Benedict doing this instead of Sherlock series 4???!!!")

The movie itself sounds pretty interesting. Not a huge Johnny Depp fan, but the subject material sounds interesting.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 24, 2014 3:08 pm  #62

Thanks for the video KP. Having Ben involved in this has gotten me curious about this story. It's an interesting choice for Ben, broadens his repertoire yet again. The film is already underway which means he's got to slip into William Bulger's boots pretty quick if the decision of his involvement was only recently made. 

Mary - Was his American accent all that terrible? XD I listen to his audioworks doing an American accent and I find it alright.

May 24, 2014 3:11 pm  #63

Yes, I would like to know that as well because I cannot judge his American accents. What about 12 Years and August Osage County? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 24, 2014 3:16 pm  #64

This compilation contains more than a few American accents Ben does, and it sounds decently done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixaxZcB-4MA

May 24, 2014 3:30 pm  #65

Mary, I'm assuming you're American?
I always thought his American accents were quite well done, even paying attention to region and period?
Oh, I hope he does this OK!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 24, 2014 3:49 pm  #66

He's always sounded convincing to me, but then I don't have the advantage of being American.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 24, 2014 6:02 pm  #67

Tinks wrote:

Mary, I'm assuming you're American?

Canadian.

The Whistleblower accent was BAD. It was supposed to ba flat, average North American accent like what I have. I kept getting annoyed when the Kaufmann character showed up because his voice set my teeth on edge. (I wasn't a Benedict fan yet and didn't know till the credits rolled that it was him.)

August: Osage County was passable, definitely a big improvement. I haven't spent enough time in Oklahoma to know if it was a good Oklahoma accent or not, but I've heard that's it's bad to middling. There were some moments where he lost the accent, so minus points for that.

I'm not sure what he was doing in 12 Years a Slave, something like a cross between a British accent and a stereotypical Southern accent. I've spent more time in Louisiana than I have Oklahoma and whatever he was doing was not the local accent, but considering the time difference, I'm not sure that what he did was bad or wrong. I'm not really counting this one in my opinion because Louisiana at the time was such a mix of British and French and Southerners and Spaniards that it's impossible to know what someone like Ford would have sounded like.

From what I've read about Black Mass, he's going to have to do a Boston accent, which is apparently notoriously difficult. Based on how he's handled other two other specific contemporary accents, I expect to grit my teeth.

(For Brits who really nail the average North American accent, look at Hugh Laurie, Damian Lewis, and David Harewood.)

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 24, 2014 6:51 pm  #68

Ah, OK.
I must say, I honestly don't get hung up on accents, as long as the performance itself is good, but given that he's seemingly only got a short time to learn this one, I hope he does OK with it - would hate to see him getting the kind of criticism poor David Tennant is getting at the moment :-/

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 25, 2014 2:45 am  #69

I've been listening to Boston accents on YouTube and it does sound wickedly difficult to replicate and be consistent at! I'm sure Ben would have an accent coach to get it right. 

For those, like me, who are unfamiliar with the accent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVVX4fQzhDc Sounds like Carmine Falcone's accent in Batman Begins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7196gTmPOck

May 25, 2014 4:21 am  #70

Watching The Whistleblower I was never distracted by Ben's accent.  Didn't even pay it that much attention except at the begining.  Just thought, oh hey, he's American in this.

And I'm American.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 25, 2014 7:26 am  #71

At the beginning?
He was in it for all of 2 seconds!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2014 8:39 am  #72

I would assume that if he screwed up all those American accents he had to do in the past completely, nobody would have cast him for this. The question is, why do they cast a British actor when there are lots of American actors around who certainly could have played this role as well? I guess he had to do the required accent in the casting process - or maybe the director deems other aspects to be far more important than the accent.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 25, 2014 8:54 am  #73

Well said, Solar. 

May 25, 2014 9:29 am  #74

In 12 Years the accent they chose to give Ford was an educated southern accent of the period. This is in direct and deliberate contrast to Epps' accent which was uneducated southern accent of the period.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 27, 2014 2:34 pm  #75

Hear an update - filming will be starting soon. Keep your eyes open, KP!

For the record - there is a mistake in the article. The female characters mentioned are Whitey Bulger's wife and girl friend, not Billy's. 

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-05-27/johnny-depp-and-benedict-cumberbatch-to-begin-shooting-black-mass-in-boston

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 27, 2014 2:46 pm  #76

Oooh I'm all excited now!! I am really hoping for a picture or something... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 27, 2014 2:47 pm  #77

Hm, I could imagine that Benedict will only join them after he did Letters Live... otherwise he'd have a lot of flying to do...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 27, 2014 2:50 pm  #78

Yes, I think so. They can start shooting the scenes for which they do not need him (not too many, I hope)

May 27, 2014 4:59 pm  #79

So, I'm thinking I'll try to leave work early each day and head over to the North End - which is luckily near my train station - so maybe, just maybe, I could catch a glimpse.

*Running to the ladies room right now to apply lipstick in the hopes that it will "work for me"* 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

May 27, 2014 5:18 pm  #80

KeepersPrice wrote:

So, I'm thinking I'll try to leave work early each day and head over to the North End - which is luckily near my train station - so maybe, just maybe, I could catch a glimpse.

*Running to the ladies room right now to apply lipstick in the hopes that it will "work for me"*

Oh, you are naughty! 
But good luck! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera