BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2014 4:15 pm  #41

Re: Black Mass

To be honest I think that rumour was made up, too...what Mark Gatiss would refer to as "click bait"!!
Back to the Movie though - I wonder what his accent will be like in this?
I hope it's well received !

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 22, 2014 4:19 pm  #42

(I disagree, but I shouldn't be talking about it anywhere on the board!)
Looking forward to the film!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 22, 2014 4:31 pm  #43

Well I would prefer his part to be a big one, but as long as he's doing what he loves I'm happy! 

I can actually see a bit of him in that picture, but I'd hate for him to put on weight, not that I should judge or anything... but the strict diet he would have to go on to continue his other projects would scare me a bit! 

I can't wait to see pictures from the set, and to watch this film in the future!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 22, 2014 4:41 pm  #44

And Johnny Depp!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 22, 2014 5:24 pm  #45

Wiki entry for William (Billy) Budger:

[quote=]William Bulger's role in his brother's escape from authorities is a matter of some dispute. On June 19, 2003, he testified to a House of Representatives committee about an incident in which, while still President of the Massachusetts State Senate, he "went to an arranged location in 1995 to take a call from his fugitive brother, apparently to avoid electronic eavesdropping. He said that accepting the call from the gangster without bothering to inform the FBI was 'in no way inconsistent with my devotion to my own responsibilities, my public responsibilities.'"[7]During the hearing, when asked what he thought James (Whitey) did for a living, William Bulger said:
[quote888]I had the feeling that he was in the business of gaming and... whatever. It was vague to me but I didn't think, for a long while he had some jobs but ultimately it was clear that he was not being, you know, he wasn't doing what I'd like him to do.[7][/quote888]
He added that he loves his brother and hopes that the most brutal rumors concerning him will be proven false. As fallout from these remarks, he was forced out by then-Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney from his position as president of the University of Massachusetts in 2003.Bulger also testified that the FBI never asked if he knew of Whitey's location. Those remarks were disputed by a former FBI agent who claimed Bulger declined to submit to an interview with the bureau.[8][/url] Months later, the committee report found Bulger's testimony "inconsistent" about whether the FBI had contacted him in its search for his fugitive brother.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bulger#cite_note-Fox_Butterfield_2003-8][8][/url]Upon Whitey's arrest in California in June 2011, William Bulger issued a statement expressing his "sympathies to the families hurt" in the case, and asking for privacy for his family.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bulger#cite_note-9][9]

May 22, 2014 8:12 pm  #46

As for me, I'm super psyched that they are filming this in Boston - where I am!!!.  I will be on the look-out constantly
The Bulger story has been and continues to be HUGE news around these parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

May 22, 2014 8:13 pm  #47

How exciting, KP! Keeping fingers crossed for you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 22, 2014 8:15 pm  #48

Here's a little something about possible filming spotted recently on the Boston Common:

http://www.boston.com/entertainment/movies/2014/05/21/black-mass-filming-the-common-today/jgLUbh4ex3llmn6T51VkrN/story.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 22, 2014 8:17 pm  #49

SusiGo wrote:

How exciting, KP! Keeping fingers crossed for you. 

Hey Susi, wouldn't it be funny if after going to London hoping to catch a glimpse of lovely Ben, I run into him here in Boston. LOL!

May 22, 2014 8:24 pm  #50

Brilliant. Fantastic. Amazing. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 23, 2014 12:36 am  #51

Yikes!  One of our local newscasters mentioned on the news tonight that an A list actor had joined the cast of "Black Mass" - Benedict Cumberpatch.  OMG! 
I tweeted her and said it was Cumberbatch with a "B" and reminded her to be careful because he has a lot of fans out here.  She tweeted me back an apology and said she didn't know why she kept saying it with a "p" and that she promised never do it again.
I tweeted back and told her she was forgiven - as long as she let's us know where he's spotted around town.

May 23, 2014 6:48 am  #52

That's really cool, KP
Do please keep us posted if there's any other filming news!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 23, 2014 3:10 pm  #53

Yes, it will be SO nice to have some news from shooting... finally.

May 23, 2014 3:47 pm  #54

Tinks wrote:

That's really cool, KP
Do please keep us posted if there's any other filming news!

I'm beginning to wonder if he will actually come to Boston for filming. If most of his stuff is interior work there may be no need to be here.  Oh well, I'll keep my ear to the ground; in fact, I just emailed a Cumberwatch type person to see he/she knew if Ben would do any filming in Boston. 

Interesting that he's going to play Billy.  Billy was/is sort of a patrician Boston politician with a Boston partrician accent who probably worked hard to drop the South Boston working class accent so he could disassociate himself from his roots.  He sounds rather a Mycroft type when I've heard him speak. I'm sure Ben will do a great job pulling this character off.

May 23, 2014 3:49 pm  #55

And there could be some good brother-to-brother scenes depending on their relationship. I read that he had to resign his office as president of the University of Massachusetts because he phoned his brother while he was hunted by the FBI and did not tell the authorities. 

May 23, 2014 5:40 pm  #56

Bugger it.
Ordered the book.
Can add it and Yellow Birds to the pile.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 24, 2014 8:17 am  #57

It's the kind of film that I'd probably watch even if Benedict wasn't in it, though not necessarily at the cinema.
The only thing is, I don't think Johnny's films have been that great lately, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 24, 2014 8:39 am  #58

But the director of the film should give us reason to be quite optimistic that it will turn out rather good.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 24, 2014 9:53 am  #59

And Benedict is in it!

Last edited by besleybean (May 24, 2014 9:55 am)

May 24, 2014 1:13 pm  #60

Here's a look at the real Billy Bulger at the Congressional hearings. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOv3HSCRG0o

Board footera