BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2015 3:02 pm  #401

Re: Black Mass

Thank you so  much for those videos! I really enjoyed watching it. 

He's fascinating to listen to when he gives interviews... I always find myself totally mesmerized by him and usually I can struggle to concentrate... but never with him!

Hearing him with that accent feels a bit weird for me, not in a bad way though! But it's because I know how he talks and suddenly a completely different sound is coming from his lips... he does it well, and I think that's why it feels 'weird'. 

Ugh. It seems I have to wait for the DVD release for this It's not showing in any cinemas close to me and I can't afford a trip to Copenhagen for this... I'm already going there too many times! 

My friend (who I also got Benaddicted and Sherlocked) is getting a tattoo done in Copenhagen 3 days before the film premiers and I'm going to go hold her hand... gah. Bad timing!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 10, 2015 3:37 pm  #402

Should have gotten her to go a few days later! You and the movie will be like ships passing in the night (I think that's the right expression.)

I hope whenever you see the movie that you enjoy it! Or maybe an opportunity to see it will come up.

Clueing for looks.

September 10, 2015 3:45 pm  #403

It premeires here in the states the end of next week.  I do hope it opens nation wide and not just in LA and New York.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 10, 2015 4:04 pm  #404

September 18th here, probably because it's premiering at TIFF first.

Clueing for looks.

September 11, 2015 5:03 pm  #405

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 11, 2015 8:01 pm  #406

That was fun.

Clueing for looks.

September 11, 2015 11:08 pm  #407

I smile whenever I see an interview with Benedict where he actually looks quite comfortable and relaxed. But I want more!

We don't get Black Mass until October 15th here in Austalia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 17, 2015 4:14 pm  #408

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 18, 2015 12:27 am  #409

Can't wait for tomorrow!!!! 

BRAINY IS THE NEW SEXY

September 18, 2015 11:52 am  #410

Yes, I hope to go see it this weekend.  Happy it's getting good reviews because I'm also a big fan of Johnny Depp and he deserves a big dramatic hit.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 19, 2015 8:48 am  #411

Reviews for Black Mass are rolling in. This one http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/09/17/black-mass-review compliments Benedict's accent

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 19, 2015 9:56 am  #412

Yet another BC movie that I can't watch. I suppose he enjoys doing these dark characters, maybe thinks of it as an acting exercise or something, but if I went and saw a movie like BM, I wouldn't sleep for a week. Ugh.

September 19, 2015 9:59 am  #413

ukaunz wrote:

Reviews for Black Mass are rolling in. This one http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/09/17/black-mass-review compliments Benedict's accent

I wonder what real Bostonians will think. Doing a good Boston accent when you don't have one already and haven't heard it much is very hard. One of the reasons I liked "Good Will Hunting" is because Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were born and raised in Boston, so their accents in the movie were authentic. Most actors fail miserably at the attempt, but I hope Ben had better luck with it.

September 19, 2015 10:20 am  #414

ancientsgate wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

I wonder what real Bostonians will think. Doing a good Boston accent when you don't have one already and haven't heard it much is very hard. One of the reasons I liked "Good Will Hunting" is because Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were born and raised in Boston, so their accents in the movie were authentic. Most actors fail miserably at the attempt, but I hope Ben had better luck with it.

The author of the review is apparently a native Bostonian. To quote the article, "Cumberbatch's nasally, highfalutin accent with hints of a phony Irish lilt is actually accurate to how Billy spoke". He also says Joel Edgerton's accent is "flawless"

September 19, 2015 10:29 am  #415

ancientsgate wrote:

Yet another BC movie that I can't watch. I suppose he enjoys doing these dark characters, maybe thinks of it as an acting exercise or something, but if I went and saw a movie like BM, I wouldn't sleep for a week. Ugh.

I'm still unsure if I want to see it. I don't usually enjoy violent gangster movies either. I think it's great that Benedict is trying different types of roles, and possibly he likes this genre (I read somewhere that he liked The Sopranos), so I guess it's natural that he would want to be part of a movie like Black Mass himself.

September 19, 2015 11:13 am  #416

I like Ben, and would like to see the location shots where I watched them filming, but am really worried about the violence. Just not my cup of tea. Still debating whether or not I'll go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 19, 2015 1:49 pm  #417

Good to hear the accents are good.
To respond to the other posts, I'm with you guys there.  I don't like stuff with brutal violence a lot of the time and when I saw Goodfellas last year (which had some unecessary violence and I just found boring and I hated all the characters of), I've been put off gangster movies.  I might wait until this comes on TV or something, or I might see it.  I'm not sure about it either.

Clueing for looks.

September 19, 2015 5:15 pm  #418

KeepersPrice wrote:

I like Ben, and would like to see the location shots where I watched them filming, but am really worried about the violence. Just not my cup of tea. Still debating whether or not I'll go.

Yes, I live near where you do and would love to see the Boston locales and hear their attempts at the accent, and I'm disappointed that I feel I shouldn't subject myself to this terrible tale--  knowing it all actually happened and reading about it is bad enough, but to see it in full living color, ugh. Not only not my cuppa, but I feel that seeing it would be dangerous to my soul (hard to put this in words).

Same thing with "12 Years a Slave".  I tried to watch it, I really did, but as soon as those half-wits snatched that poor hapless black man off a public street and threw him down in that dirty, dark hole, with plans to sell him, I had to back away.  I guess I just can't bear to see man's inhumanity to man, and I don't consider it entertainment.

And to haul this back on topic, I understand why an actor would take on a challenging role, maybe in an effort to stretch their acting wings.  So I get why Ben takes these parts. I just wish he'd do a nice rom-com..... unfortunately, they don't seem to make many of them anymore, and the ones they do are sophomoric.

September 19, 2015 5:22 pm  #419

Yitzock wrote:

Good to hear the accents are good. To respond to the other posts, I'm with you guys there.  I don't like stuff with brutal violence a lot of the time and when I saw Goodfellas last year (which had some unecessary violence and I just found boring and I hated all the characters of), I've been put off gangster movies.  I might wait until this comes on TV or something, or I might see it.  I'm not sure about it either.

There's something to be said for waiting for the DVD release and just fast forwarding over everything except the Ben parts. What we need is a Ben Cumberbatch highlight reel, one for each of his movies we can't watch in their entirety, lol. I couldn't watch Osage County, either, too much of a downer for me.

I read a short review of BM in the latest People magazine a couple of days ago, and they said it was a tough one, but that you will see the face of Whitey Bulger "in your nightmares" and that Johnny Depp is "feral" and "shudder-inducing".  Makes me shudder, just thinking about it. The still photos and short clips I've seen make him look like a death-head, positively reptilian.

I saw one short clip of Ben doing one of his scenes, and the make up and hair and the expression on his face, not to mention that strange accent, made him (to me) almost unrecognizable as Ben.

September 19, 2015 8:06 pm  #420

Yes, I would agree that some movies are better at home.  My mom's been to movies where things got so intense she had to walk out of the cinema and come back after she had calmed down and a particular scene was over.  At home that's much easier to do.  So I might do that with Black Mass, on a smaller screen in my house.

But I hope anyone who does go see it enjoys it.

As far as rom-coms, I don't think there have many good ones lately, but I would say that The F Word with Daniel Radcliffe and The Proposal with Sandra Bullock from a number of years back are more stand-out and less childish humour-laden.  But that's another topic for another place.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera