BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2015 5:11 pm  #361

Re: Black Mass

The Black Mass trailer to me was very good.  In a film like BM I don't think it is important that they set up the plot (the background of the protagonist) and the elements of drama involved in the film (the fact that he is a notorious gangster who was "recruited" by an FBI agent). It's a biopic which makes it entirely different than giving away plot points in a fictional story like the Dr. Strange film.

I want to see the actors' interactions in Black Mass.  I'm not going to find out what happened to Whitey Bulger - I can look that up in Wikipedia if I wanted to.  A flim like BM to me is entirely about the actors and how they portray the characters and how the creative types behind the film bring this story to the screen.  The preview gives us a taste of the ingredients but it doesn't give us the finished cake with the blending of those ingredients in the right proportions and skill (and it certainly doesn't give us the icing... full scenes between two actors like Cumberbatch and Depp).

For me the trailer works absolutely.  It is fast paced, intriguing, and well edited (with its quick flashes of scenes especially at the end).  For a biopic film it is just what is needed to pique the interest of a viewer like myself.  I love crime dramas and biopics (two of my most favourite genres) and I can say that this trailer had my heart racing, and although I was going to see it anyway, it made me even more excited to watch it when it was over.

While I totally agree that trailers (especially trailers to comedies) often give too much away this one doesn't seem to be guilty of this particular sin - at least not to me. 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

August 2, 2015 8:32 pm  #362

Did we have a link to the German trailer yet? It's not new, but I haven't seen it before.
No dialogue for Benedict, so it remains to be seen which German voice he'll have this time around...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudpdUHO1hQ

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 7, 2015 7:20 am  #363

Poster!

Last edited by ukaunz (August 7, 2015 7:20 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 7, 2015 8:17 am  #364

This looks awesome. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 7, 2015 8:19 am  #365

I like it!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 7, 2015 8:20 am  #366

I want this. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 7, 2015 1:21 pm  #367

This looks great!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 7, 2015 6:10 pm  #368

He kind of looks to me like he's trying to make himself look like he's got the beginning of some jowls.  His face looks wider than usual in that poster photo.  Probably to look more like the real person he's playing.

Last edited by Yitzock (August 7, 2015 6:10 pm)

Clueing for looks.

August 7, 2015 7:20 pm  #369

I think they used prosthetics on his face. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 7, 2015 9:51 pm  #370

Could be, but I know that sometimes actors are able to create that just with what they've got, although the only example I know of was a much older actor than Benedict.

Clueing for looks.

August 7, 2015 10:54 pm  #371

Amazing poster! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 17, 2015 9:01 am  #372

I don't think this one has been posted yet?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 17, 2015 9:09 am  #373

LOVE it!

This picture... wow! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 17, 2015 9:12 am  #374

the screen cap.

And there's a TV spot but Ben only appears for about half a second
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjMZxJRh6I

August 17, 2015 9:59 am  #375

ukaunz wrote:

Poster!

I want that poster too though there is no way to hang it up in our flat anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 17, 2015 2:02 pm  #376

Come on, gently, show a bit more determination...!

August 17, 2015 2:32 pm  #377

What about on the ceiling?

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 17, 2015 2:36 pm  #378

Or the inside of a closet?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 17, 2015 2:37 pm  #379

Lily, ceiling... brilliant idea. Above the bed... hubby will be delighted.

Solar, you know the situation...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 17, 2015 2:38 pm  #380

The inside of closets are the place for posters of John Watson! :-P
-sorry nothing to do with Black Mass, but I couldn't resist ;)

Board footera