BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2015 1:04 pm  #341

Re: Black Mass

That poster looks great.
And the fact that the actors aren't listed in alphabetical order might mean that Benedict's role isn't that tiny after all.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 30, 2015 1:07 pm  #342

I LOVE how he looks on the poster! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 30, 2015 1:26 pm  #343

And it's not easy to recognise Johnny Depp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 30, 2015 1:34 pm  #344

...which I don't have the slightest problem with...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 30, 2015 6:56 pm  #345

Johnny Deep looks a bit Sherlockian in the thumbnail for the new trailer, currently on the front page of IMDB.

Clueing for looks.

July 30, 2015 7:29 pm  #346

And here is the link for the new trailer. There seem to be indeed various scenes with Benedict:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2_-SyK50Tw

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 30, 2015 7:50 pm  #347

Oh gosh!! He sure does seem to have quite a lot of screen time!

And I really like that hint of an accent I heard! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 30, 2015 8:21 pm  #348

Oh, this looks very nice indeed. I had to do a quick screencap...

July 30, 2015 8:28 pm  #349

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 30, 2015 8:32 pm  #350

Although I have to say that I don't like the trailer all that much because it gives me the impression that after seeing it I already know far too much about the film. Maybe the impression is wrong, we'll see, but at the moment it feels as if I knew the whole film already.

July 30, 2015 8:32 pm  #351

Oh my!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

July 30, 2015 9:03 pm  #352

This will be in my local theatre 23.10 - two days after my birthday! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 31, 2015 12:22 pm  #353

I've watched the new trailer and I really want to see that film!
I have to admit I'm a bit intrigued by Benedict's accent., so here's hoping he'll have a  good amount of screen time during which he speaks -though, when you know what part he plays I rather think he'll have some.
However, I didn't think that Johnny Depp was that difficult to recognise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 31, 2015 7:51 pm  #354

Last year I took a photo of the location in Boston that now can be seen in the trailer:

Apparently, today it looks quite the same like back in the Seventies...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 31, 2015 7:52 pm  #355

This is great. Very similar, just a little prettier today. 

July 31, 2015 11:21 pm  #356

The Boston accent I heard him use in the clip wasn't too bad at all - but it did sound a little too blue collar "Southie". I need to hear more of it to be sure, but Billy Bulger, at least in public, does have a more elevated quality - what we would call a Boston Brahmin accent.

Wikipedia says this about it:

The Boston Brahmin accent is a New England accent associated with the Boston Brahmins and is therefore quite different from the accent associated with most working-class Bostonians.

Examples of people with this accent include Charles Eliot Norton,[1] Henry Cabot Lodge, T.S. Eliot, Leverett Saltonstall, John Brooks Wheelwright,[2] Katharine Hepburn,[3] George C. Homans,[4] Robert Lowell, McGeorge Bundy,[5] Elliot Richardson,[6] William F. Buckley, Jr.,[7] George Plimpton,[8] and John Kerry.[9][10]

I'll probably be the only one who cares about this; but nothing aggravates us more in this area than an actor affecting a Boston accent and failing miserably. I guess this is sort of like some of the German fans immediately knowing that some of those actors trying to be German tourists or "jurors" in Sherlock just weren't.

Last edited by KeepersPrice (July 31, 2015 11:21 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 1, 2015 2:12 pm  #357

It's hard to tell from just a few seconds how he will sound in the entire film, so we'll see about that, but I can understand why that might bother you, if you can tell the difference.I guess it's kind of like how I can often tell a Quebec french accent from other french accents.  However, I'm sure it depends not only on Benedict but also what his diction coach instructs him to do.  

I personally didn't like the trailer too much, but then again it's probably because Goodfellas kind of made me never want to see another gangster movie (I didn't like it at all), so if this movie has a similar feel I probably won't like it either.  Might check it out because I sometimes like Johnny Depp and I like Benedict, but I'll probably wait and see what the reviews say, thugh if the violence is very brutal I will just wait and watch it on TV.

Clueing for looks.

August 2, 2015 2:45 am  #358

Wow!   Looks interesting...

SolarSystem wrote:

Although I have to say that I don't like the trailer all that much because it gives me the impression that after seeing it I already know far too much about the film. Maybe the impression is wrong, we'll see, but at the moment it feels as if I knew the whole film already.

Ha, interesting!  Just found it intriguing you said that, since I just read an article in my regular movie magazine about that very trend.  It's interesting to consider, that there's such a thing against 'Spoilers!' with most people, and I remember in the past thinking some trailers pretty much already showed me all the best bits of the movie……  but even more lately, the article was talking about how marketing pushes more and more semi-spoilery bits in the trailers since that's apparently what audiences want.  To know what they're getting into, since there was some backlash for trailers 'selling' a different kind of movie than they thought they were getting (i.e. thinking Osage County seemed more comedic than it was), and getting to see some of the awesome selling points that maybe even the director didn't want to give away (like the clip of Pratt revving on his cycle alongside the Jurassic World raptors) that end up bringing more people in.
Not sure what to think of Black Mass and 'knowing' the story from it's own trailer, other than to agree it's cool it seems to have a balance of the different sides of the story with brothers, gang, and FBI.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 2, 2015 9:16 am  #359

Interesting, Russell.
Personally, I think making good trailers is basically an art form of its own. You want to give the audience a good idea about what they're getting themselves into, at the same time you don't want to give away the plot or important parts of the plot. Having a trailer with a running time of almost three minutes makes it difficult to beat around the bush, but since we got a new trailer trailer for "Spectre" a few days ago let me just say: That trailer has pretty much the same length as the "Black Mass" trailer, and still I feel that after seeing it I have a basic idea about what the film will be about - but at the same time it feels as if there still is a whole lot to discover.
With "Black Mass" it's different: It seems that the trailer is told in a chronological order, so I get the feeling that I already know where the climax will be and how we will get there. The trailer feels more... concrete, if you know what I mean.
But to mention something positive as well: The trailer also gives me a good idea about what the film will feel like, about the atmosphere - and yes, because of Benedict I will watch it anyway, but in general I can say that if a trailer doesn't reach me on an emotional level, I most likely won't watch the movie.

August 2, 2015 10:13 am  #360

Well, the problem with the trailer is that even if you try to avoid them, you are still exposed to them when you go to the cinema and indeed, they more often than not rather put me off than encourage me to see the film. They are a bit like the prefaces to the volumes of scientific papers: there is a detailed summary, so why bother to read the papers themselves, lol.
It's true, trailers are kind of separate art - when they are art, that is. Like posters, which should be art, but very rarely are, going usually for the most obvious and repetitive motives.
I will go and see BM, obviously, because I want to see B. playing a character different from his last roles, but I cannot say I am impressed by the trailer.

Board footera