BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2014 2:56 pm  #221

Re: Black Mass

Hopefully more details tonight.  Since I wasn't able to get any good pictures of Ben, I'm so glad of the pictures and the little video that was posted here on this thread so you could see for yourself what was going on yesterday.
I can't even begin to tell you how many times they had that parade marching up the street. It was over and over and over again all day long.  Ah, the glamour of show biz! All those poor people as extras, cheering and clapping and waving little Irish flags in the hot sun, and all those marching in the parade (bag pipe band, fife-and-drum group, the BU Marching Band, Miss Southie riding in an 80's car, people walking with banners reading, "England get out of Ireland" and "South Boston Against Forced Busing", a guy playing St. Patrick in full vestments riding on a float, a fire engine - around the corner and up the street - all from early morning into the early afternoon. There was a stand-in for Ben so he didn't have to do this all day; but once they got the shot the way they wanted then he would go in.  God, he's so recognizable, even from a distance!  Just the angle of his profile and the way he carries himself is so unmistakable. It was so easy to tell the real Ben from the fake look alike Ben (poor guy).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 24, 2014 4:21 pm  #222

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 24, 2014 4:50 pm  #223

I love those pics. But it's definitely not Benedict nor Sherlock nor Assange nor Khan nor Tietjens nor James nor ... whoever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 24, 2014 4:59 pm  #224

Awesome pictures!!

And you're right, I can't see any of Ben or his past roles in this character!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 24, 2014 5:00 pm  #225

No, it's the character he's playing in Black Mass...tee hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 24, 2014 5:12 pm  #226

besleybean wrote:

No, it's the character he's playing in Black Mass...tee hee.

Funny. 
You know what we mean. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

June 24, 2014 5:19 pm  #227

I'll reserve full judgement until I've actually seen the film, but I can't imagine it being any less than brilliant...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 24, 2014 5:31 pm  #228

He looks like a Kennedy! I hope he sounds like one, too...

This is the first film coming out that I'm excited about expressly because Benedict's in it. I doubt I would have seen it otherwise. Just goes to show how a cast change can bring in new audience members.

He really is a master of melting into his characters and becoming someone else. Looking at these pics, I really don't see the guy who collapsed at 221B (rewatched HLV last night )  or the psycho who crushed a man's head or the pervert who raped a little girl or the sweet boy who wanted to die on his own terms or the writer who befriend a junkie or... Yup, he looks the same in every movie. Don't try to convert those morons, ladies, because it means more for us!

Mary

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 24, 2014 5:49 pm  #229

It's ridiculous when people make that charge against Benedict.He's neevr been the same in any movie I've seen him in and I've seen nearly all of his films.

June 24, 2014 6:36 pm  #230

I still remember hitting the pause button during the scene in Mycroft's office at the beginning of TEH and going. "OMG. That's Khan!" I was alone, which makes it even more disturbing.

Put a picture of Benedict as Khan next to a picture of him as Little Charles  and most people wouldn't even know it was the same guy, the two are at such extremes physically, never mind the voices being completely different.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 24, 2014 6:37 pm  #231

Well yes there is that oh and oops...the Creature in SIB!

June 24, 2014 7:20 pm  #232

He looks so awesome!  And thanks for the just as awesome story, KP!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 24, 2014 9:13 pm  #233

Thank you, KP, fot telling us all those details! It sounds quite exhausting for everyone involved. I hope you had a good time though - given the heat and the standing around for hours. I was there with you in my mind!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 25, 2014 12:40 am  #234

It really was an exciting day.  I got there at around 10 in the morning and heard the band playing and thought, "Oh no, I missed it!"  Little did I know that this would go on all day and into the evening over and over again. 
There are two things that stand out in my mind as exceptional about the whole experience yesterday- other than having Ben acknowledge us of course, which was wonderful.
The first was getting to observe him become his character when he started marching. It was subtle but amazing. When "action" was called it was like he somehow elongated his neck but at the same time arched his chin down - sort of like a proud peacock preening before the crowd.Probably any one of us could put our shoulders back and lift our heads and pretend to be a politician, but that's what it would be, "pretending".  Ben "transformed" and "became".
The second thing was that this whole event took place on the street right in front of the building where our candy store used to be.  I mean, it was the place where I spent almost my entire adolescence and early adulthood.  It amazes me to think that of all the places in the world where Ben would end up standing, it was right there on that street in front of that building. The odds just slay me.  I mean, I went to London a couple of years ago hoping I would see him on the street somewhere - but never in a million years could I have guessed the place this would happen would be Lynn, Massachusetts on Union Street!!! No way!!! I guess you would have to be me to know how this feels exactly but I'm still shaking my head over it.
So here are a couple of pictures.  Nothing with Ben - just proof I was there.  The one of the marching band I call "Take 57" People were starting to get a bit weary by then. 
Union Street

Take 57

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 25, 2014 4:19 am  #235

Fantastic, KP!
(What do we say about coincidence?)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 25, 2014 4:22 am  #236

KeepersPrice wrote:

The first was getting to observe him become his character when he started marching. It was subtle but amazing. When "action" was called it was like he somehow elongated his neck but at the same time arched his chin down - sort of like a proud peacock preening before the crowd.Probably any one of us could put our shoulders back and lift our heads and pretend to be a politician, but that's what it would be, "pretending". Ben "transformed" and "became".

That really sounds amazing, thanks for sharing this experience. I guess watching this would have send shivers down my spine... seeing him getting into character and, like you said, becoming that person... must be a bit like magic. I'm sure there are a lot of actors that wouldn't give you such an experience in a similar situation, just because you will always see them acting to a certain degree.

And well, experiencing this right in front of a building that contains so much personal history for you... must have been extra special and exciting.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 25, 2014 6:32 am  #237

Wonderful, KP, I am very happy for you. To see him at work and then in a place that personally means so much to you - great! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 25, 2014 6:38 am  #238

Brilliant, KP! I don't think that I will ever have the chance to see him in action like this but I grant you that so much.

Last edited by gently69 (June 25, 2014 6:39 am)

(Tony Hadley)

June 25, 2014 6:46 am  #239

That´s so exciting, KP! Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience with us.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 25, 2014 7:37 am  #240

KeepersPrice wrote:

.Probably any one of us could put our shoulders back and lift our heads and pretend to be a politician, but that's what it would be, "pretending". Ben "transformed" and "became".

I fall in love with this expression Thank you for sharing such amazing story

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

Board footera