BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 25, 2014 8:39 am  #81

Re: The Lost City of Z

I believe for long-term US shows the actors also sign a contract that binds them to the show for at least x number of seasons. Usually that means they don't make plans for other shows or roles that would tie them up for an extended period of time, and thus restricts them in terms of other projects they commit to "on the side".

It's my impression that Sherlock keeps it a lot looser and allows the actors a certain freedom for other roles they may want to pursue outside of Sherlock. Which is probably a good thing for the actors, and may also be a condition which they insisted on before signing any further Sherlock contracts.

So, yes, it's annoying for the fans, but I can also understand that Benedict and Martin would want enough latitude in order to do other things than Sherlock, and that this may cause delays in getting more Sherlock produced in a timely manner.

June 25, 2014 8:48 am  #82

Exactly; TeeJay, better expressed than me.

Last edited by gently69 (June 25, 2014 8:48 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 25, 2014 8:55 am  #83

In my opinion it would also allow the actors and everyone else involved to pursue other projects if the BBC said: Okay, we're gonna have three new episodes of "Sherlock" every two years. One could argue that this might put a bit of pressure on Mofftiss, pressure that they might not like to have. Nevertheless it might make things a little bit easier in terms of schedules, because everyone would know how much time they have for other projects and so forth.
But maybe it doesn't really work like that on a show like "Sherlock".  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 25, 2014 8:57 am  #84

I agree with you both, gently and teejay.
In fact I can't think of one long running US show I've not given up on - too many episodes each season and the seasons so close together mean the shows quickly run out of interesting storylines.
And when they come to an end, most of the Actors find it hard to get work because they're so typecast.
I'd much rather have just a few episodes every 18 months or so, to keep it interesting.
I just find it odd that there's always a "don't know" attitude surrounding Sherlock's scheduling, rather than a committment to a certain deadline, even if it's a loose one, such as Autumn 2016, or whatever!
But Solar is right, too - clearly Sherlock doesn't work that way!

Anyway, back on topic: I really must read this book before the Movie is released. I feel like it would help to know the story before watching it.

Last edited by Tinks (June 25, 2014 8:59 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 25, 2014 9:07 am  #85

Tinks wrote:

I just find it odd that there's always a "don't know" attitude surrounding Sherlock's scheduling, rather than a committment to a certain deadline, even if it's a loose one, such as Autumn 2016, or whatever!

It's getting way off topic now, but: I sometimes feel it's not even just a "don't know" attitude anymore, but a "don't care" attitude. It sometimes seems to me as if especially Mofftiss and Sue Vertue think that there are so many other, much more interesting things to do for them (with Moffat it always seems to be "Doctor Who")... and maybe there are. But then they could just say it - or are they afraid that could close certain doors for them?
I'm really sorry, but I'm getting a bit sick of this "We are determined to talk about schedules" stuff... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 25, 2014 9:15 am  #86

Oh Solar, I feel so glad you've said that! I've been kind of walking on eggshells and trying to say the exact same things but haven't been able to find a tactful way of putting it! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way; and yes, I too, wish they'd stop blaming others' schedules and hinting that Benedict (who is the only one that hasn't worked properly so far this year) will become "too big" for the show.
Anyway - ridiculously off topic now, as you say - I shall make up for this by going off to download the book of LCoZ!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 25, 2014 9:18 am  #87

SolarSystem wrote:

I'm really sorry, but I'm getting a bit sick of this "We are determined to talk about schedules" stuff... 

This! Nothing to add.

And back on topic: Yes, the book is on my wishlist too. But I still have so many things to read and stuff to watch ... really don't know how to cope with it at the moment. Argh!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

June 25, 2014 9:23 am  #88

We can always continue to talk about this in the "All things lovely..." thread. 
Just one more thing: I might be naive, but in my opinion it's unlikely that Benedict will ever think he's "too big" for the show. To me (and I might be unfair now, but what the heck) it sometimes seems they are mentioning this because they kind of hope for a self-fulfilling prophecy... they aren't as keen on continuing with the show as they were two years ago, so they constantly talk about their two big stars and that they don't have time for something like "Sherlock" anymore... you know what I mean?
Benedict is doing "The Hollow Crown" for television, Martin did "Fargo". So don't tell me they're not interested in television anymore. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 25, 2014 9:23 am)

June 25, 2014 9:28 am  #89

I second this again, Solar. Also don't think that Benedict and Martin consider themselves as "too much star" for telly productions.

And ... just ordered the book "The Lost City of Z" second hand. I am absolutely crazy!

(Tony Hadley)

June 25, 2014 10:05 am  #90

You are making me very depressed, girls. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 25, 2014 10:08 am  #91

Oh, Susi, no ... sorry. Everything will be okay. For sure!

(Tony Hadley)

June 25, 2014 10:09 am  #92

*sniff* Really?  It sounds all so hopeless. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 25, 2014 10:11 am  #93

Oh, no, seriously ... we all are amateurs ... we don't really have a clue what we are talking about. It's just guessing and stuff. Don't be worried, Susi.

(Tony Hadley)

June 25, 2014 10:13 am  #94

Sorry, Susi. I have no idea where this came from, I probably shouldn't think about it too much... because the more I think about it, the more I suspect that Mofftiss and Sue have other things on their minds right now than "Sherlock". And I have no proof whatsoever, so just ignore me. 

June 25, 2014 10:14 am  #95

Of course I keep thinking about all this. IMO the BBC would have to be the first to announce something, not the creators themselves. After all the BBC commissions the series not the other way round. And I find the silence on their part quite strange. I do not expect fixed dates, just a definite announcement that series 4 is going to happen. But we did not get even that. 

June 25, 2014 10:17 am  #96

Sorry Susi
I do share Solar's thoughts on Moftiss, and I'm wondering about the motives behind some of the things they say, but it doesn't mean I don't think there will be a season 4; I do think it will happen eventually.
As for the BBC, unless they announce that they want to axe Sherlock, then I would think it's an ongoing series that they fit into the schedules when the writers have a script ready; it's far too popular at the moment for the BBC to turn down new episodes.

Last edited by Tinks (June 25, 2014 10:20 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 25, 2014 10:18 am  #97

Susi, do they usually do that? Did they do that for S3? 

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 25, 2014 10:18 am)

June 25, 2014 10:20 am  #98

Reading here that you assume they don't want to do Sherlock anymore (at least not as much as at the beginning), makes me sad, too. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 25, 2014 10:21 am  #99

Sorry to stay of topic again ... but how did the BBC handle it with S3? When did the confirmation came for it?

(Tony Hadley)

June 25, 2014 10:25 am  #100

Mattlocked wrote:

Reading here that you assume they don't want to do Sherlock anymore (at least not as much as at the beginning), makes me sad, too.

I'm sorry... but at the moment I see no indication at all that they are too keen on giving us another series, at least not very soon. Or if they are, they are very, very contained about it. Six months have passed and nothing has happened, for crying out loud! 

Board footera