BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2014 6:59 am  #21

Re: The Lost City of Z

You are right, of course. Maybe if we didn´t observe his career that keenly, the pause would not seem so long to us.
Still, I hope that some project will find it´s way to Benedict before the end of this year. To not have him acting is like having a golden treasure and leaving it to uselessly rot in the cellar.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 15, 2014 7:50 am  #22

Perfectly put

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 15, 2014 12:07 pm  #23

I only hope he's happy with his own work and or lack thereof, I am sure there's a reason behind it all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 15, 2014 1:27 pm  #24

nakahara wrote:

To not have him acting is like having a golden treasure and leaving it to uselessly rot in the cellar.

I agree with all your comments, especially with that one, but we have to consider one thing. Begining of shooting film / series doesn't depend only on actor's free time at this particular moment. There are lots of other factors - is the srcipt ready, has the director been chosen (and has free time), has the producer made all findings, is all crew collected and many, many more. So, fact that actor is available at the moment actually means very little (to some extent of course) if other factors are not ready. All we, as fans, can do now is to wait patiently

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 15, 2014 1:29 pm  #25

Coming back to the actual topic - if Gray manages to pull it off, it could be an amazing film. I was very impressed by the book. I wonder what they will do about Benedict's make-up as in the crucial period of his life Fawcett was much older than him. But the story itself is gripping. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 9:28 pm  #26

From Twitter:

STUDIOCANAL Aus @studiocanalaus  ·  Jun 1
Excited for @TheLostCityOfZ which will star Robert Pattinson and Benedict Cumberbatch about a British explorer lost in the Amazon jungle.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 11:02 pm  #27

Oh darn. I swore to avoid any Pattinson movie at all cost because I just don't like the guy. Looks like Benedict will have make me reconsider... 

June 4, 2014 4:38 am  #28

So Studiocanal is producing this film? I'd like to believe that it can't be all that bad then...
I'm not a huge fan of Pattinson, either, but he was rather good in "Cosmopolis".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 4, 2014 6:23 am  #29

TeeJay wrote:

Oh darn. I swore to avoid any Pattinson movie at all cost because I just don't like the guy. Looks like Benedict will have make me reconsider... 

As long as he doesn´t sparkle I don´t have any problems with him .

So something is moving now? Is this an official confirmation? It doesn´t really say anything except for someone being excited..

June 4, 2014 6:26 am  #30

Aren't we all?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 4, 2014 6:30 am  #31

Bit of a paperchase, this film. They are dropping hints here and there but never anything definite. Planning Benedict's schedule must be a nightmare. 

June 4, 2014 6:31 am  #32

Yes, and I got all excited for nothing about some twitter feeds/click baits lately, so I´m a bit sceptical now..

June 4, 2014 6:33 am  #33

Yes, recently even the director did not seem to be sure when his film was to be made. I suppose it will not happen this year as there is "Black Mass" to do and then the Hollow Crown films in autumn. (Don't think of Sherlock, don't think of Sherlock …)

June 4, 2014 7:13 am  #34

I thought it was supposed to be filming in January?
I've only seen Pattinson in a Harry Potter film so I don't have any strong feelings about him either way, other than the fact that I think he looks too close in age to Benedict to play his Son, so I guess it'll be another Movie where Benedict will be made up to look less than his best 
I suppose having RP in it will ensure there are plenty of bottoms on cinema seats.

Last edited by Tinks (June 4, 2014 7:21 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 4, 2014 7:20 am  #35

Yes, it seems so, but the director himself said only days before that it would start filming in September. It seems there was some confusion about the dates. And the first date I heard about at all was this June. 

Yes, it is a bit strange to cast him as Benedict's son as they are only ten years apart in age. I watched him in HP, some of the Twilight films with my daughter and a drama the title of which I have forgotten. He is not that bad but as an actor he has nothing on Benedict.

June 4, 2014 7:25 am  #36

Ah, so maybe the scheduling of the Hollow Crown was responsible for this being pushed back to January?
The strange thing is, no one else appears to have been cast yet - BC and RP can't be the only ones in it??

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 4, 2014 7:33 am  #37

Yes, I thought of that, too, and I am very glad he accepted the Richard part. The whole project still seems very vague and the recent interview with the director (http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/james-gray-says-lost-city-of-z-will-shoot-next-talks-his-sci-fi-project-dances-with-brad-pitt-more-20140506) sounded a bit strange as well. On IMDB it is still only listed as "in development" which is the vaguest stage a project can have AFAIK. 

A pity because it is a fascinating story. Although I had my doubts about Benedict's casting because in the crucial period of his life Fawcett was considerably older than him. I therefore wonder why they chose him at all and not an actor closer in age and better suited to play Pattinson's father. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 4, 2014 7:40 am)

June 4, 2014 8:00 am  #38

Brad Pitt was originally cast wasn't he? This project has been dragging its feet for ages!
Maybe Benedict's transformation to Assange convinced them, but I do think it's odd casting.
I'm sure both BC and RP will give great performances but it's a similar scenario with Black Mass; I can understand directors wanting Depp in their Movie, but there must be plenty of great Actors out there who are the right age to play Bulger without being aged with makeup?!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 4, 2014 8:13 am  #39

Yes, sometimes you think they want to have a certain actor or actress in a film even if there might be others better suited for the part. 
Btw, I just read a report from Oz Con where Benedict still expected the filming to start in June. Sounds like the planning is really quite a mess. 

June 4, 2014 8:58 am  #40

I would think that Benedict wouldn't have taken on that role if he thought that he didn't fit or that it somehow didn't make sense for him to be in that movie. Even if his agent or management might have a say in decisions like that to a certain extent, I just can't imagine that he would be willing to play a role he didn't feel comfortable with. So something about this role and project must have convinced him to do it.
Btw, you should have a look at pics of Martin from the most recent episode of "Fargo". I have no idea what they did, but he looks so young...! So maybe they'll work some similar magic on RP and make him appear much younger? Look at Martin right here:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/5be07cfb163a31da809e01132c90015c/tumblr_n6mokk19X41ro9ezbo1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/f87f2d2f851cb680df64435b1c3b14cb/tumblr_n6mn9fACjH1rp68cjo2_500.gif

Oh, and Susi, I think "rumour" is the vaguest stage a project can have on the imdb.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera