BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 14, 2014 7:43 pm  #1

The Lost City of Z

Looks as if we do not have a thread for this yet (please correct me if I have overlooked it). Here is news from director Gray about the film (you have to scroll down a bit). 

http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/689081-the-immigrant-james-gray-on-being-beloved-by-the-french

So this does not bode well for Sherlock except they would manage to do it before January. Which does not seem realistic. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 14, 2014 7:48 pm  #2

Re: The Lost City of Z

Thank you, Susi!
January, huh? This just adds to the mystery of what BC will be doing later this year (yes, I admit I'm one of the people who are still hoping for a Sherlock Christmas special, even though it seems unlikely at this point)...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

May 14, 2014 7:57 pm  #3

Martin will finish Richard at the end of September. And Benedict seems to have no plans.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 14, 2014 8:19 pm  #4

SusiGo wrote:

Martin will finish Richard at the end of September. And Benedict seems to have no plans.

Don't get my hopes up, I'll be all giddy! But honestly, if Downton Abbey can make a Christmas Special every year, Sherlock can at least do one!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 14, 2014 8:22 pm  #5

I agree with you. They could give us at least this.

May 14, 2014 8:33 pm  #6

A Christmas Special would be great - but it just wouldn't be enough if it means we'd have to wait for a real S4 for more than two years...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 14, 2014 8:44 pm  #7

SolarSystem wrote:

A Christmas Special would be great - but it just wouldn't be enough if it means we'd have to wait for a real S4 for more than two years...

I'm afraid we'd have to wait that long anyway, whether there'll be a Christmas Special or not probably won't influence it.

May 14, 2014 9:03 pm  #8

I think it could be a risk to let the audience wait for more than two years. Two years is already a very long time. 

Actually it is not quite fair that we are discussing Sherlock again in here. But the long wait and the toing and froing about this film is getting a bit boring. Not that I am not interested in watching it, the story is amazing, but apparently not a single film in 2014 and then next year everything at once ...

Last edited by SusiGo (May 14, 2014 9:14 pm)

May 14, 2014 9:09 pm  #9

Exactly Susi! This is the point that bothers me.
Even the most loyal viewers could move on and find other things to watch, or simply not bother to take time to watch three episodes of a show where they'll have to wait over two years for the next instalment.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 14, 2014 9:11 pm  #10

Yes. I think two years is trying people's patience yet manageable. But longer than that … well. 

May 14, 2014 9:15 pm  #11

SusiGo wrote:

Yes. I think two years is trying people's patience yet manageable. But longer than that … well. 

Even two yuars is too long!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 14, 2014 9:18 pm  #12

Of course it is. And to think that they were talking about doing it sooner in January. And now we still have not even a confirmation. 
Not a single film in 2014 (apparently) And then suddenly they want to do LCoZ and "Blood Mountain" and "Hamlet" in a period of ten months? Really. 
Not Benedict's fault, I suppose, but it seems some things went terribly wrong. 

May 14, 2014 9:21 pm  #13

It´s like bewitched! 
Please, Benedict, contact an exorcist, some evil eye fell on you! 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 14, 2014 9:24 pm  #14

Good idea. And to think what it means for him. He cannot be really happy about this. 

May 14, 2014 9:26 pm  #15

It always sucks to wait, but can I just throw in that, as actor fandoms go, Benedict's is actually quite rewarding to be in. It seems he appears at events with a certain regularity, there's tons of photos and online available short films and videos and animated gifs and lots more to play around with.

Some of the other actors I really like aren't remotely as active as Ben. They pretty much never appear at events, they're not in the limelight at any kind of regular frequency, there's few (if any) press junkets or interviews, and it becomes a serious undertaking to find any new material online without digging very deep and being very patient. And sometimes they don't shoot movies or projects for months or even years, so if I'm lucky, I get to see one movie or TV guest role every year, sometimes not even that.

Let me just say: We're all very lucky that Benedict is quite high profile right about now. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to remember that.

May 14, 2014 9:28 pm  #16

What might have went especially wrong could be the BBC not officially comissioning S4 of "Sherlock". Benedict/his management have no idea if and when S4 will really happen, so then at some point decisions for other projects have to be made.

edit: I'd gladly pass on new pics and seeing him at events or in interviews for quite a while if that would give us a definite date for S4, for example. New pics and stuff like that are nice, but I want to see him acting.

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 14, 2014 9:31 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 14, 2014 9:29 pm  #17

That´s true, but it´s still a sin to have such a good actor at hand and to not use him in films more. 

May 14, 2014 9:30 pm  #18

TeeJay, I understand your arguments. However, I prefer to see him act instead of walking red carpets or attending Windsor Castle or cons or flower shows. After all this is not the reason I am his fan but his work as an actor. 

And, yes, it seems to be a waste of his time not to have him work as an actor for such a long time. You would think that directors etc. would queue to have him in their projects. 

Last edited by SusiGo (May 14, 2014 9:31 pm)

May 14, 2014 9:33 pm  #19

Oh yes, I'm with you there. I'd also very much prefer to see him in a film or TV show rather than the next gala, award show or convention.

May 15, 2014 6:30 am  #20

Just wanted to say that I agree with you both - I'd rather less red carpets and more acting and I'm convinced he would, too! (I never think he looks 100% comfortable at these things;), but just like many other careers, you have to do a fair amount of networking and keeping your profile up if you want your career to progress, and it's the same with acting.
With Sherlock, I'm not convinced it won't film this year even if it's not shown this year.
I can't think of any other TV network that would have a show as popular as this, that would allow everyone to walk away at the end of each season, without agreeing a date for the next series to be ready.
They plan TV schedules months in advance, not weeks, so I find it hard to believe they've no idea when they'll be ready to show it.
What I would say is, if it doesn't film this year, then I hope we don't hear that it can't film next year because Benedict's too busy. That wouldn't be fair, when we all know there have and will be, windows this year when he and Martin were available.
Also, lack of filming work this year isn't Benedict's fault - I know that's not thought by anyone on here, but I've seen elsewhere, other "fans" talking as though he's chosen never to act again!
If he pulled out of Crimson Peak (and personally, I'm glad he did), then yes he'd have a few months with nothing on, but at the beginning of the year, he believed he had two other projects set to film - one was LCoZ - he must be as frustrated as anyone that they've fallen through.
Someone on a forum for Robert Pattinson made the very intelligent and respectful comment that Ben's "fandom" is relatively new, so are not used to the delays and falling through of projects in the way other Actors' fans are, but in fact these things happen all the time. She also said that this is essentially Ben's Movie, so when it does start filming, the schedule will suit him first and foremost.
Another high profile Actor pulled out of a project recently just days before filming was to start, giving no reason, with his fans having no clue as to his next project, so it's not just us that suffer!
I do wonder how Ben will fit in LCoZ, Blood Mountain(?), Hamlet and possibly Richard next year as well as Sherlock if they do film it then, but I think/hope that suddenly things will start moving again for him and we can see him on screen and stage again soon.
(Sorry for the very long post)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

Board footera