BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2014 11:55 am  #1

Why Sherlock tricked about the bomb

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 13, 2014 11:59 am  #2

Re: Why Sherlock tricked about the bomb

Will have I look ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 13, 2014 12:36 pm  #3

This is really well done and detailed and I do agree.
We are dealing with Sherlock after all. John is not the only one who finds dealing with emotions difficult (and it is really surprising that in this series Sherlock seems to be more open about his emotions than John). Sherlock desperately wants John to forgive him and after having failed with the comic and the serious approach he seizes what he regards as his last opportunity. Of course this is extreme but we are talking about Sherlock. 
And speaking for myself - I have often laughed out of sheer relief. It is a tricky moment and I do not say that I really love this moment but I can understand Sherlock's reaction to a certain extent. 

(Btw - for me the inserted Anderson scene is maybe the greatest flaw of this episode and the only thing I really do not understand. For me it is still out of place and somehow vague because at least I have no idea when and if it takes/took place.)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2014 12:54 pm  #4

I agree with most that is said in that meta, although I'm still not so sure if Sherlock even tries to enter his Mind Palace when John tells him to - the way he acts at that moment really looks a bit strange to me, but that might just be my personal impression.
I don't even have such a huge problem anymore with the fact that Sherlock tricked John into believing that they both were going to die, because yes, by now I've understood why he did it. BUT I still absolutely hate the way in which he laughs at John - yes, sometimes people laugh because they are nervous or relieved, but this is just too much, IMO.
I actually love this moment, because here I see him to be true and honest and just absolutely loveable:

But before that... it's just too much. Sherlock's "I totally had you!" is not just nervousness, at least not for me. Can't help it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 13, 2014 1:01 pm  #5

SolarSystem wrote:

I agree with most that is said in that meta, although I'm still not so sure if Sherlock even tries to enter his Mind Palace when John tells him to - the way he acts at that moment really looks a bit strange to me, but that might just be my personal impression.

No, that's right, I think the same.
I even believe that he knew about the off-switch right from the beginning. The way he tells John later "There's an off-switch. There's always an off-switch." sounds so obvious!
Which also would mean that not much genuine is left - at least regarding the bomb. 

The laughter I have to see again. Not sure about it, doesn't sound like pure relief to me, either.

May 13, 2014 1:05 pm  #6

As I have said before - the real and genuine moment of reconciliation and forgiveness is in the hallway in Baker Street with Sherlock's "I heard you". 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 13, 2014 1:11 pm  #7

I think that the laughter we see in the gif above also looks pretty genuine and true - at least in comparison to the way in which he laughs shortly before that.
But yes, "I heard you" is the moment. And I also love Sherlock's third "sorry" when John comes to see him after the bonfire.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 13, 2014 1:14 pm  #8

MattlockedI even believe that he knew about the off-switch right from the beginning. The way he tells John later "There's an off-switch. There's [i wrote:

always [/i]an off-switch." sounds so obvious!
Which also would mean that not much genuine is left - at least regarding the bomb.

Exactly what I think.

And that he hided his excuse behind this trick was because he was afraid of another rejection? That's the way I understand it now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

May 13, 2014 1:15 pm  #9

SusiGo wrote:

As I have said before - the real and genuine moment of reconciliation and forgiveness is in the hallway in Baker Street with Sherlock's "I heard you". 

I don't have to think about the German dubbed version. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

(Tony Hadley)

May 13, 2014 1:29 pm  #10

I found this meta rather beautiful, it gave me a little peace about that scene:

http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/71892697613/in-which-sherlock-is-a-little-shit

May 13, 2014 1:32 pm  #11

"They needed COVER." (taken from your link, Zatoichi)

This!

(Tony Hadley)

May 13, 2014 1:47 pm  #12

gently69 wrote:

And that he hided his excuse behind this trick was because he was afraid of another rejection? That's the way I understand it now.

Yes. And "all or nothing". So he used that extreme situation to make John saying what he wouldn't say in normal life. Cover.
But he also took the risk of being rejected completely after that.

May 13, 2014 1:50 pm  #13

He saw his only chance in it ... Sherlock must have been really desperate.

(Tony Hadley)

May 13, 2014 2:05 pm  #14

SusiGo wrote:

I agree. But reg. the bomb scene I still wonder what's genuine and what isn't.
I'm right now watching it again. What I see:

"Go, John. Go now."  Genuine? They both should know it's too late to leave, like John says, so I don't know.
The mind palace. Not genuine. Strange behaviour.
The "almost-panic" while searching for.... the off-switch? Genuine? This panic is so unusual for Sherlock!
"I'm sorry." Genuine. But he didn't mean the bomb.
"I can't do it, John. I don't know how.  Forgive me...."  Feelings, again not the bomb. Genuine.
(Look at his face)
"....you'd still have a future. With Mary." He looks sad, hurt. Because of with Mary instead of with him? Don't quite understand this little part, as he knows they won't die.

John: "...yes, of course I forgive you." Sherlock's look afterwards is genuine, as we already saw in that gif above.

Then comes the totally misplaced Anderson-scene...

Then we see the shot again where Sherlock finds the off-switch. At first he really seems to be in trouble, but grins when he finally finds it. So, well, the panic before might have been genuine after all.

And, like Solar, I still don't get the laughing at John. Is a bit too much. A bit lack of respect or however you may call it.

Can he be so reassured by John's confession that he is back to being an arse again in one second? I've got a headache.

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 13, 2014 2:08 pm)

May 13, 2014 5:09 pm  #15

Unlike the Fall roof scene, which I have issues with because I can't trust if any of the emotions (shock, horror, grief, etc.) are genunine and therefore I can't get emotionally involved, I think that everything in this scene, except for the mind palace bit, is genuine.

Mattlocked wrote:

The "almost-panic" while searching for.... the off-switch? Genuine? This panic is so unusual for Sherlock!.

Actually, I believe in this bit becaues of the scene in Scandal in Belgravia where the Americans are threatening to execute John if Sherlock doesn't open the safe. I get very similar vibes in both scenes. You also get a similar vibe earlier in the ep as Sherlock is pulling John out of the bonfire. I think it's  established that Sherlock panics if John is in genuine peril and Sherlock's not sure he can save him.

As for the laughter, which I inappropriately think is hysterical because it's the first time we ever see Sherlock truly lose it in that manner, I'm thinking nerves plus a good amount of his not expressing emotions appropriately. It is so wrong but so Sherlock that I can just imagine John thinking, "I did want the guy alive again, didn't I? Be careful what you wish for! But it's good to have him back..."

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 13, 2014 5:53 pm  #16

maryagrawatson wrote:

Unlike the Fall roof scene, which I have issues with because I can't trust if any of the emotions (shock, horror, grief, etc.) are genunine and therefore I can't get emotionally involved, I think that everything in this scene, except for the mind palace bit, is genuine.

Mattlocked wrote:

The "almost-panic" while searching for.... the off-switch? Genuine? This panic is so unusual for Sherlock!.

Actually, I believe in this bit becaues of the scene in Scandal in Belgravia where the Americans are threatening to execute John if Sherlock doesn't open the safe. I get very similar vibes in both scenes. You also get a similar vibe earlier in the ep as Sherlock is pulling John out of the bonfire. I think it's  established that Sherlock panics if John is in genuine peril and Sherlock's not sure he can save him.

As for the laughter, which I inappropriately think is hysterical because it's the first time we ever see Sherlock truly lose it in that manner, I'm thinking nerves plus a good amount of his not expressing emotions appropriately. It is so wrong but so Sherlock that I can just imagine John thinking, "I did want the guy alive again, didn't I? Be careful what you wish for! But it's good to have him back..."

Mary

I really like your opinion on the matter. 
I also agree with the post above saying Sherlock created a cover for both himself and John, so they could say some things they normally wouldn´t.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 13, 2014 6:33 pm  #17

Interesting meta, but I'm sorry I still can't get over the fact that Sherlock lied to John, saying that they were going to die and manipulated John to forgive him. I don't care how desperate Sherlock was to hear John forgive him. That's not his call, but John's. The Baker Street scene before John gets snatched for the bonfire scene shows that John may have decided to forgive him and join him on the case. So making John forgive him is pointless and serves more for Sherlock's benefit than John's.

May 13, 2014 7:03 pm  #18

The scene you are talking about happened after he was kidnapped and saved by Sherlock. In this scene Sherlock says "sorry" three times. The last one is really serious and genuine and yet John does not react to it but goes on about the kidnapping. I do not think Sherlock is just thinking about himself. IMO his behaviour shows that he truly wants John's forgiveness.
And the whole of TSoT is an apology to John (and a declaration of love some might say). 

May 13, 2014 7:09 pm  #19

SusiGo wrote:

The scene you are talking about happened after he was kidnapped and saved by Sherlock. In this scene Sherlock says "sorry" three times. The last one is really serious and genuine and yet John does not react to it but goes on about the kidnapping.

Your comment just made me think of something. Sherlock has apologized a few times in this ep (and continues to do so through the series, which bothers me). Maybe what's going on on the train is that he finally has John's undivided attention and can force him to stop changing the subject and actually listen to what Sherlock is saying. Sherlock's methods are Not Good, but this is Sherlock we're talking about.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 13, 2014 7:12 pm  #20

Yes, that may be true. 

Why does it bother you? I do not mind him mentioning it at the wedding. It was a big moment of truth for Sherlock and he wanted to say everything about John he deemed important. 

Board footera