BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2014 8:22 am  #141

Re: Third Star

Because of my age, I'm hoping it's something  I never have to see.
But stop bloody smoking, Benedict.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 26, 2014 10:10 am  #142

TeaTime wrote:

I don't think I could call the film uplifting.  I'm honestly still not able to process it... I sort of can't figure out what emotion it is I'm feeling, I don't like it and yet I want more.  It's weird.  Of course even the general point of the film is a bit conflated with having to watch Benedict suffer and die... which I suppose I would find upsetting regardless.  

Interesting. And it sounds a bit like what I always feel when I watch the movie... it hurt's so much, especially the last 20 minutes, but at the same time I always feel like 'oh, this is so good, this feels so true, I wanna see it again right away'. And apart from the pain and the loss there also are those moments where I'm just laughing out loud or where I think 'yes, that's a good way to go, maybe the best way to go'. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 26, 2014 7:02 pm  #143

besleybean wrote:

Because of my age, I'm hoping it's something  I never have to see.
But stop bloody smoking, Benedict.

You're right about the smoking thing.  I wonder if he realizes how quickly it's aging him?  I was watching the Sherlock season 1 and he looks like he's about 27 (although I think he's really 34) but by season 3 which is what, only 5 years later? He looks closer to 40.  Definitely needs to stop with the smoking.

January 26, 2014 7:08 pm  #144

Couldn't it be the huge amount of work and the fact he is indeed almost 40? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 26, 2014 7:25 pm  #145

Well I suppose that could have played a role.   But honestly it's not something I would normally have noticed, and I did notice so... er, that's not good.  Right?  

January 26, 2014 8:22 pm  #146

Anyway, beautiful treatment of the subject...
And I only hope real life doesn't reflect the art.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 26, 2014 8:32 pm  #147

TeaTime wrote:

Well I suppose that could have played a role.   But honestly it's not something I would normally have noticed, and I did notice so... er, that's not good.  Right?  

I'm certainly with you when it comes to stopping smoking.
But just take a look into the Favourite Benedict Pictures Thread and you will see that even in S3 there are moments when he still looks like 27.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 26, 2014 8:45 pm  #148

But he won't forever...

January 26, 2014 9:03 pm  #149

Why should he? It is okay to get and look older. Besides, none of us knows how much he really smokes, sleeps, if he eats healthily and so on. And he is old enough to decide how he wants to live. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 26, 2014 9:07 pm  #150

This isn't really the place for this discussion and so I'm sorry.
I hadn't honestly thought of it when I watched Third Star, but others mentioning it, it's brought it to my mind ...
Losing Benedict.

Last edited by besleybean (January 26, 2014 9:07 pm)

January 27, 2014 12:02 am  #151

SolarSystem wrote:

TeaTime wrote:

I'm certainly with you when it comes to stopping smoking.
But just take a look into the Favourite Benedict Pictures Thread and you will see that even in S3 there are moments when he still looks like 27.

Amen.  Those Sherlock curls alone can take of 5 or 6 years.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 8, 2014 8:49 pm  #152

I just saw this. I knew the subject matter and because of it, it's taken me time to bring myself to watch. Mainly because my husband's brother, James, died of cancer far earlier than any person should have to die, and because my grandfather died six months ago from the bloody disease.

God did it make me cry. It made me think of my own life, and not to waste a minute of it. Benedict's portrayal of someone in the final stages was brilliantly/horribly accurate, and brought back a lot of memories that I thought I'd dealt with. I cried with him, I cried for him. And for his friends who, for all their faults and slightly off-kilter lives, loved him.

As a piece of cinema it was very good, it had a nice pace, was beautifully shot. But it wasn't about that, it was about the performances and the characters. And more than anything, the message. If you don't come away from it reviewing your own life and your outlook on it, then you've not watched it properly.

That's my take on it anyway. I won't be wasting my time in future. Or shooting just wide of my dreams.

I'm clueing for looks

February 8, 2014 9:14 pm  #153

I agree with you. It can be quite a life-changing view. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 10, 2014 9:04 pm  #154

Finally, finally got to watch Third Star. A week ago.
And it is still fresh in my mind today. At the end, I called up my best friend of 35 years and put her on the spot.
She still thinks I've gone completely bonkers.

An excellent movie, not usually the type I would choose from a list, but I am glad I finally took the time to view it. It asks a lot of very important questions about the heart, friendship, and loyalty. I will admit that I don't really cry at movies too much, but this one brought me very close to the edge. Those boys going out of their way to care for their friend like that--even when the going was extra tough? That's loyalty. Believe me, I've seen families where they don't even give half that much respect to ill members.
Touching-absolutely. Ultimately, he chose to face the inevitable in his own fashion: we can only hope that we would all be as brave.

A+++

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

February 10, 2014 9:14 pm  #155

And allowed to.

March 5, 2014 10:23 pm  #156

I bought it in UK to have english subs... it was even cheaper in Germany (with both german and english on it), but the german one doesn't have english subs... So I thought the english would have... but no...
bit strange... I had this: Third Star (2010) Movie Script | SS  and read there all the time... propably missed much because of that but it was really hard to listen, because the voices are not loud enough...

Brilliant acting though. Benedict really makes you think that he has physically pain... like he was brilliant in Hawking too...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

March 6, 2014 9:29 pm  #157

I don´t know if it´s been mentioned before (I didn´t find anything), but I just stumbled across this most interesting blog about the making of Third Star: http://mug7.com 
Great pictures from behind the scenes, descriptions of the filming, Ben and so on! 

March 14, 2014 10:11 pm  #158

I realy enjoyed this movie. It didn't make me sad, quite to the contrary. I see it as a portrayal of a 'good death'. James is spending his last days out and about, doing what he wants to do, surrounded by friends, his symptoms relatively well controlled. He has as much control as he can under the circumstances. This is in a striking contrast to how most people die (we are a bit better at getting it right for people then we used to be though with growing emphasis on good palliative care).

March 16, 2014 2:09 pm  #159

I just found this movie in my mail box, and I've just finished watching it. I won't lie. I'm a sobbing wreck. This was such a special movie. Beautiful. Fun, but so, so heartbreaking. I don't think I've cried this hard in years! It is clever writing and brilliant acting. The end... oh my. the end. I don't even know what to say. I think I'm going to watch this a thousand times...

My only complaint is that the DVD I got was without texting for the hard of hearing. I couldn't hear some of the dialouge because of my ears... so I might have missed something. 

This film has made me feel like a bit of a brat to be honest. Most of my relatives have died of cancer the last 6 years. In the end I always had an excuse to leave the funerals early or not to show up at all... always stood in the back when doing hospital visits, sometimes having my mother sign my name on cards for flowers to be sent. I stopped listening when my family talked about who was sick with what and how they were doing... I've pretended like everything was perfect and just used my status as the young person in the family who was too busy living her own life to deal with something so 'grown up'... 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 16, 2014 2:14 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 16, 2014 3:31 pm  #160

Just a few posts ago zeratul posted a link to a script, if that helps a bit 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera