BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2013 3:50 pm  #121

Re: Third Star

Yes, by any means. When I watched it the first time I cried non-stop for the last twenty minutes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 22, 2013 4:02 pm  #122

I watched "Third Star" because of Benedict, but ended with loving the film even more than him, although his performance is absolutely fantastic. It is one of the most moving and profound movies about death and friendship I have ever seen and I absolutely don't get some reviews which judged it as "unoriginal" or even "boring". I was full for admiration both for the scriptwriter and the director: although apparently fragmented and episodic, the plot is very tight, every scene adding some layer of meaning to the climax in the end. I loved the symbolism: the opening scene in the cemetery floors me every time I watch it (and I've watched TS at least five times!). The encounters with boy-angel, ferry-man, beachcomber, the way they shoot the landscape... And yet the movie never becomes heavy handed or sentimental.  

November 22, 2013 4:39 pm  #123

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, by any means. When I watched it the first time I cried non-stop for the last twenty minutes. 

I was crying so hard I actually had to muffle my sobs because hubby was sleeping in the next room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 22, 2013 8:31 pm  #124

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I was crying so hard I actually had to muffle my sobs because hubby was sleeping in the next room.

Same here, the last twenty minutes kill me every time I watch this film.

And miriel, I totally agree with everything you've said.

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 22, 2013 8:34 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 22, 2013 8:46 pm  #125

Aw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 22, 2013 9:18 pm  #126

Another one I like:

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 22, 2013 9:20 pm  #127

Oh, that is beautiful, Susi 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 22, 2013 9:46 pm  #128

There are so many beautiful pics from beautiful scenes...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 22, 2013 9:54 pm  #129

So this is going to be the next foto thread? Fine. 

November 22, 2013 10:35 pm  #130

I'm totally fine with that, Susi.

November 23, 2013 5:18 am  #131

PIcstures from Third Star are beautiful but they also make my heart hurt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 23, 2013 3:09 pm  #132

ekhem... pics are beautiful, but going back to the text and the meaning of the beachcomber Be was wondering about: I had been wondering about it too and IMO there are several layers of possible interpretation here.Firstly, this is the most important Davy in-depth scene: he doesn't have much of them in the film, Miles and Bill ambitions and frustrations are mentioned many more times, but Dave, although always present, doesn't get much attention. So this is a way of casting more light on his character and also, may-be, on the problematic that may arise from his being gay. What is exactly his friendship with James? Friendship only or is he a bit in love with him? ("platonic" love, since James is presumably straight). but on the more general level, beachcomber's motive add to the theme of "worthy" pursuit in life, and that of "heroic" quest: what does it mean, how do you achieve it. It is a kind of Greek chorus comment to the existential situation of 4 friends, in syntony with ferry man (Charon) reference (Hell) and angel-boy (Heaven)

November 24, 2013 3:11 pm  #133

SolarSystem wrote:

Same here, the last twenty minutes kill me every time I watch this film.

Finally made it. Watched the film today and guess what I did in the end.
How can ever get from planet BC back on earth? He's simply brilliant. And these pics... sigh...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 24, 2013 4:00 pm  #134

Oh, I know what you mean......

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 25, 2013 9:34 am  #135

I like it that some things are left to the imagination. In the script there is a scene on the cemetery that didn't make it into the film. I think that was good because the glimpse of the grave is really enough.

Last edited by Be (November 26, 2013 8:57 am)

January 25, 2014 6:44 pm  #136

Oh my.  I just saw this film.  I cannot even begin to describe how much it affected me.  My heart literally hurts, mostly because I kept forgetting to breath while I was watching it.  I have never seen such a sad film.  I basically lost a whole night's sleep over it.  Normally I would call that bad thing, but the film is so amazing and so well done I can't be sorry I've seen it.  Sad is the right word to, it's not maudlin, and it's not tragic... it's propery sad.  Benedict's performance is just searing.  I almost couldn't bear it.  His expression holds such boyish job, and then such infinite sadness.  I have never even considered writing a fan letter before, but after seeing this film I'm really quite tempted, if for no nother reason then to just get the feelings off of my chest!  If he didn't get an award of some sort for that role then he was robbed.  

January 25, 2014 6:49 pm  #137

I think he did not get one which is really sad. Honestly, it was the only one of his films that made me cry. His performance is so moving and never sentimental. 

January 25, 2014 9:25 pm  #138

well, this is the difference between a small indie film and a hype you get when you make a film with big stars, big producing company behind it and a lot of promotion - such as AOC, for example. Third Star easily one of the most important films of my life (there aren't too many of them), not because of Benedict's performance (which is may be his finest to the date, btw) but because of the depth it tackles the theme of death and friendship.

January 25, 2014 10:26 pm  #139

I agree.
A wonderfully, uplifting and affirming film...and I didn't get that out of a book!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 26, 2014 1:06 am  #140

I don't think I could call the film uplifting.  I'm honestly still not able to process it... I sort of can't figure out what emotion it is I'm feeling, I don't like it and yet I want more.  It's weird.  Of course even the general point of the film is a bit conflated with having to watch Benedict suffer and die... which I suppose I would find upsetting regardless.  

Board footera