BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2013 1:46 pm  #81

Re: Third Star

Besley: God, your man must have a very sexy voice then, hehe! As far as Northener accents are concerned, I've got a soft spot for Liverpool accent. Love that accent, that town, those folks... Well, I've been a very huge fan of the Beatles since childhood, and as a teenager, I was sooooo deeply in love with a scouser... awwww.... lol. Anyway, no offence, but God, the Scottish accent! Don't get me wrong, I like it, it's just... well, when I was in Edinburgh, I felt like my English was very bad! I had to make a hundreds of calls as the airline had lost my luggage, and I was like "Huh?"  The first Scotman I spoke to at the airport pronounced every "s" like a "sh", ie. "Your bag, is it hard or choft?", I thought he had some kind of lisp but then other people did the same thing while speaking. Oh well...  I live in the North of France and the accent here is horrible. People from other regions always make fun of us...

Solar: oh, danke schön! Morrissey's voice in that song is particularly "bewitching", so I guess it doesn't help  Glad you like my video!

Just like old times...

August 5, 2013 1:46 pm  #82

Amazing video! I've never heard this song before, but now I like it so much, the lyrics suit there indeed. It could be something that James wanted to tell his friends before his death. Quite sad, though... Good job.

The Road goes ever on and on...

August 5, 2013 1:51 pm  #83

Ah thank you Deilenn! Yes, Asleep is a very beautiful song, yet very sad. I think it fitted the story perfectly, because James was fed up with suffering and wanted to "go", but didn't want his friends and family to be sad about it ("there is no tragedy in this")

Just like old times...

August 6, 2013 11:11 am  #84

I agree, no tragedy but not for his loved ones that he had to left... It's a part of our humanity that we miss those who passed away after all, so James' friends didn't want him to die earlier than necessary. 

Btw, may I know which program did you use to make this video? :]

August 6, 2013 11:10 pm  #85

Yeah, that's right. I guess that even if they knew nothing could be done, they still hoped he could be saved, or at least could live a while longer. Like I said before, I lost my husband last year. Had to agree to stop all the machines as nothing could be done anymore and he would have died within a few days, it was just to let him go "peacefully" and not in pain. And it was such a terrible thing to do. Even if I knew it was the best solution for him, it was the worse one for me because I felt like I had "killed" him. So poor Miles who has to maintain his friend's head under water until he goes away... A brave but horrible thing to do which will haunt him for the rest of his life (well, that is, if he were a "real life person" huh!)

Oh, and I use the simplest video editor aka "windows movie maker"  It is very simple to use. What takes a lot of time is looking for the best clips, the best music to go along, synchronize the clips to the lyrics etc.

Got Vegas pro 12 lately but haven't had time to really try it. Got a quick look and it felt like it was to WMM what Photoshop is to Paint. lol. I guess it'll take me quite a long time to get familiar with it, though it's got so many more options (meaning more fun!) than WMM!

Just like old times...

August 6, 2013 11:27 pm  #86

That was beautful Punch.  But if you don't mind it may be a while before I watch it again.

Gonna sit quietly for a bit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 7, 2013 7:41 pm  #87

Punch me in the face wrote:

Yeah, that's right. I guess that even if they knew nothing could be done, they still hoped he could be saved, or at least could live a while longer. Like I said before, I lost my husband last year. Had to agree to stop all the machines as nothing could be done anymore and he would have died within a few days, it was just to let him go "peacefully" and not in pain. And it was such a terrible thing to do. Even if I knew it was the best solution for him, it was the worse one for me because I felt like I had "killed" him. So poor Miles who has to maintain his friend's head under water until he goes away... A brave but horrible thing to do which will haunt him for the rest of his life (well, that is, if he were a "real life person" huh!)

I didn't know that, I feel terribly sorry for you...  Yeah it's the hardest to do for us and probably less for dying people, because that's us who grieve over their death afterwards, while they don't feel it anymore... And life goes on, after all.

Oh, and I use the simplest video editor aka "windows movie maker"  It is very simple to use. What takes a lot of time is looking for the best clips, the best music to go along, synchronize the clips to the lyrics etc.

Got Vegas pro 12 lately but haven't had time to really try it. Got a quick look and it felt like it was to WMM what Photoshop is to Paint. lol. I guess it'll take me quite a long time to get familiar with it, though it's got so many more options (meaning more fun!) than WMM!

Ah thanks, I asked because I'm looking for a good editor to make a video :] I once tried in WMM, it's a simple editor I know but then something went wrong with settings and I got upset and had to use a different program, it was annoying :/ I'm considering Sony Vegas, with hope I manage it

Last edited by Deilenn (August 7, 2013 8:12 pm)

September 13, 2013 8:32 pm  #88

So I finally watched the movie for the first time tonight and I gotta say: Oh damn it, that was a rollercoaster ride through and through. I'm still a bit lost for words.
At times I could almost feel the pain Jim was going through... god, that moment when one of his friends was carrying him up that hill and suddenly let him drop and he was crying out from pain... I almost couldn't bear it. And then for the last twenty minutes I had tears in my eyes, the whole time, it was just... so unutterable sad.
All four actors did a wonderful job, there was so much emotion, tension, love between the four characters... just beautifully portrayed. And of course Benedict, what can I say... just look into his face, into his eyes, and it's all there, the whole story, the whole character, the whole pain. It's amazing how easily he seems to be able to tear up... even at the end of the movie in the water... he's wet, his face is wet and you still can see tears running down his face. This guy is breaking my heart with his tremendous acting...

Last edited by SolarSystem (September 13, 2013 8:43 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 13, 2013 8:36 pm  #89

I could not agree more. When I watched it the first time on my computer I cried non-stop for the last twenty minutes. Such a beautiful, heartbreaking film. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 13, 2013 8:49 pm  #90

Yes, and I have to say that it's one of the best films I've seen in quite a while - and I watch a lot of films. It's amazing what you can achieve when you have a good story and good actors.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 13, 2013 9:10 pm  #91

Broke me into a million pieces.  I mean, this kind of story is designed to break you but with Ben in the lead it was devestating.  

And at least I know you guys believe me when I say I'd love him for his talent even if I had not fallen for his fine self.    There are those that doubt me.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 13, 2013 9:24 pm  #92

tonnaree wrote:

And at least I know you guys believe me when I say I'd love him for his talent even if I had not fallen for his fine self.   

So true. He is so versatile, so talented... and yes, of course you would expect that from an actor, wouldn't you. But there are actors and then there are... actors. I mean, what he does in Third Star is so not Sherlock... maybe apart from one or two teensy seconds in which he spits out some not so nice things towards his friends. But on the whole this is so different, so unique... and yes, that's how it should be, but Benedict delivers this so superbly...!

September 13, 2013 9:29 pm  #93

He could act circles around many I might name without even uttering a word.

*cough*  Tom Cruise *cough*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 13, 2013 9:48 pm  #94

tonnaree wrote:

He could act circles around many I might name without even uttering a word.

*cough*  Tom Cruise *cough*

Tom who?!

September 15, 2013 8:25 am  #95

Just watched Third Star. Not sure I can live with that truth. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 15, 2013 9:22 am  #96

Mary Me wrote:

Just watched Third Star. Not sure I can live with that truth. 

I thought it was a fantastic film, but it will be a long time before I ever watch it again.

It left me shaking.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 15, 2013 11:44 am  #97

I really really love that film with a special notion to how their friendship is presented. It could be actually me and my friends, that is so beautiful. And in the end I didn't even cry but there was such a huge silence inside me. As if I was just taught a life-changing truth and I was not sure how to deal with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 15, 2013 11:46 am  #98

I just hope if I was in a similar position, my friends and I could deal with it the same...
Well not entirely, you wouldn't catch me anywhere near water!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 20, 2013 10:56 am  #99

I was a bit biased about this film and didn't watch it untill a few day ago because I expected stereotypes about dying and a friendship that saves the day.
But I was wrong about that. 

I watched it in the German dubbing version first and several times in the original afterwards.

The film is surprising and funny, moving but genuinely true to make you experience the pain and sorrow.
I like the scene when the boys meet the funny man at the beach who spent years searching for something he never found. I like the scenery and the performance of the cast. I also appreciate that James is shown being angry and in severe pain.
Mr Cumberbatch is wonderful in his character and I recognised his different voice. Much higher voice than in Sherlock.
I also discovered JJ Feild  who's character Miles did prove to be the bravest friend.

I will watch it again soon.

November 20, 2013 3:31 pm  #100

I like the film very much and they really manage to avoid many clichés. James does not hide his anger  that the world goes on without him and that his friends seem to waste their lives whereas he has nearly no time left. And I agree, it is wonderful that his difficult friendship with Miles is transformed in the end when he is the only one who sticks with James and helps him to fulfil his wish. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera