BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2013 7:59 am  #61

Re: Third Star

After watching the trailer I can honestly say I'd want to see this movie even if I had no idea who Benedict Cumberbatch was.  

I may have to up my meds before I watch it though.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 23, 2013 9:08 pm  #62

Just watch Third Star for the first time.

Utterly gutted.

Going to have a lie down.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 23, 2013 9:12 pm  #63

I'm feeling for you. It's hard to watch. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2013 9:31 pm  #64

My husband was sleeping while I watched.  Had to hold back sobs for the last 30 minutes.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 2, 2013 10:45 am  #65

I've seen this movie last week... It was quite good, Benedict played the role of a guy suffering from cancer absolutely wonderfully. And the end of the movie... just heartbreaking 

The Road goes ever on and on...

July 2, 2013 7:24 pm  #66

My parents watched this last night and loved it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 13, 2013 9:48 pm  #67

"Remember that you were loved by me, and you made my life a happy one. And there is no tragedy in that." - James, Third Star. 

------------------------------------------------------------------
-Mystie Holmes

When you walk with Sherlock Holmes you see the battlefield.-M.H.

Are you ready for the story?-J.M. xx

Pray give my greetings to Mrs. Watson, and believe me to be, my dear fellow, 
Very sincerely yours,
Sherlock Holmes

July 28, 2013 8:18 pm  #68

Well, I watched the movie a couple days ago, for the first time. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful, but just an incredible bad timing for me. I think I'll appreciate it much when I watch it a second time. Later.

My father had leukemia in 1997/1998, my grand-father who was like a second dad to me as I had been seeing him practically everyday since my birth died of general cancer in 1998 and I"m the one who found him dead. My mother had a breast cancer in 2005 and had an ablation and we learnt recently that she had a recurrence after all these years, she starts a new chemio next week. Add to that that tomorrow, it will be exactly a year since my husband committed his tenth and last suicide attempt of the year (that also was the last time I talked to him then) before spending 3 weeks in intensive care and that I finally had to agree to stop the machines and hold his hand until his heart stopped. 

I'm not really the crying type but let's say that movie really had me in tears.

Like some people here, my dvd is an English import and doesn't even have hard to hear subtitles so I think I missed quite a lot (I had found that script someone mentioned in that post, but from what I understood it was a draft of the script so it wasn't exactly what was in the movie and it was so annoying to pause and get back to the script whenever I didn't get a sentence that I gave up the script quite quickly)

Otherwise, Benedict is incredible in this (and I'm not only talking about his looks though it's true he's extremely attractive in this), and so are all the other actors (his friends, I mean), they all were endearing in their own way, and there was a great alchemy between them all.

On an purely esthetical point, that movie's one of the most beautiful I've seen. It's wonderfully filmed. The landscapes, the portrayals of the characters... it's utterly beautiful and full of poetry.

The story was very simple yet very touching.

The actors and the way the movie was filmed made me feel like I was part of the journey, that I was travelling with them, sharing their life, their laughs or their "fights"...

And the end... well............................................

And yes, I still think there is a tragedy. That's a tragedy when someone that young dies, and it's a tragedy for those who stay.

My husband thought his life was a tragedy, and did everything he could to end it. I guess it was a relief for him to go away, but it's awful for me, and it's unfair to our son who will grow up without his dad...

But I understand what James means. He wants to comfort those who stay, to show them a positive way of remembering him. He knew he was comdemned and it's only fair he wanted to leave the way he wanted to: in his favourite place, with his friends around him, in the nature... and not on a hospital bed after having suffered like hell for too long...

A very beautiful movie that I'll definitely watch again. Just not now...

Just like old times...

July 28, 2013 8:39 pm  #69

I understand that it must be especially hard for you to watch this after the losses you experienced. It's not an easy film to watch at the best of times. And I agree that there is tragedy in James's death no matter that he tries to comfort his friends and decide to end his life on his own terms. 

Maybe you should wait until a better moment to watch it again (btw, I have the same problems in understanding much of the dialogue). My heartfelt wishes for you mother and much strength for you and your son. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 29, 2013 10:57 am  #70

Ah, thank you Susi

Yeah, I'll definitely watch it again. I may make a video out of it as well, i'll see... It's just that I feel low these days. Should have watched Life of Brian for the 35465871th time instead, lol. No, just kidding, I'm glad I've watched it, but it made me feel even more depressed, that's all. It reminds me many painful memories. I felt for Ben, but I also felt for his friends for I've been there before.

All the vital organs  of my husband had been damaged (lungs, kidneys, liver, intestines and possibly his brain, we don't know to which extent, but at least he understood what we were saying and remembered what had happened before hospital. Only his heart was quite ok), and there was this last chance surgery when his colon was pierced. It was a very tough surgery with high chances for him to die while it was taking place. He didn't but lost all his blood and the surgery had to be stopped. We still had 48h ahead of us for a chance to finish the surgery, but he was too weak and even the transport would have been enough to kill him. They explained that even if he was in an artificial coma, with morphine and all, if I waited for him to die "naturally" in the next few days (or less as he had already made 2 heart attacks that day), he still would have suffered a lot "inside". So it was that or stop everything and let him go in peace and in a less painful way. It's been a terrible decision to make...You don't want to let him go and yet you know that it's just a question of time and that he'll end up dying anyway, and you have to think what's best for him, and not for yourself...

So I cried so much with that scene with James friends in the water, and Miles finally agreeing to let his friend go, and actually help him to go... That's probably one of the best proof of love you can give someone, but it's so hard... and then you spend the rest of your life asking yourself whether you've made the right choice or not, thinking "and if he could finally have been saved?", feeling guilty, and having the feeling you have really killed the person.........

Knowing all that, in that scene, I cried for James because life was so unfair with him and it must be terrible, but I also cried for Miles...

Still a very beautiful movie... Even if Ben wasn't in it and that the story would suck, I'd still watch it just for the beauty of the images!

Last edited by Punch me in the face (July 29, 2013 11:05 am)

Just like old times...

July 29, 2013 11:05 am  #71

Yes, it's the ultimate proof of Miles' friendship although things have been difficult between them before. 

What I also like is that James isn't pictured as a suffering martyr, that he gets quite beastly at times and behaves harshly towards his friends. All this just makes him more human. 

Just choose the right moment to watch it again. 

August 2, 2013 8:01 am  #72

For whoever would like to have this movie in a dubbed German version as well: I've just seen that it will be released in Germany in September. I've just preordered it, because my boyfriend needs a German version, his English isn't too good. (Star Trek Into Darkness and this movie in the same month, sounds like Christmas!)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 2, 2013 8:56 am  #73

Wow, that's great news. Thanks, SolarSystem. 

August 2, 2013 9:42 am  #74

You're very welcome, Susi!
And it's obviously thanks to Sherlock, because on the cover of the DVD it apparently says "With Sherlock-Star Benedict Cumberbatch".
So hopefully he will have his usual German voice...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 5, 2013 6:01 am  #75

I've already posted this in the "fan videos" board but I thought It could be posted here as well sooooo...

Here's a video I've just made on Third Star.

I really put much effort into this, to choose which clips to use, how to string them together "smoothly" (choice of colours, landscapes...), how to fit the song, the lyrics, of course, but also what you can hear in that song (i.e: you can hear the wind blowing and I've put the scene of a seagull for example). I also tried to give an all symbolism, i.e at the end, when after he drowns, I used the scene with him catching a feather to show he is now relieved from pain and as light as a feather, ready to fly away, then I used the wild horses scene to symbolise freedom. Get the idea?

Well, if you want, just see for yourself!

and here are the lyrics to the song Asleep, by the Smiths. I think it fits the story perfectly :

Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
I'm tired and I
I want to go to bed

Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
And then leave me alone
Don't try to wake me in the morning
'Cause I will be gone
Don't feel bad for me
I want you to know
Deep in the cell of my heart
I will feel so glad to go

Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
I don't want to wake up
On my own anymore

Sing to me
Sing to me
I don't want to wake up
On my own anymore

Don't feel bad for me
I want you to know
Deep in the cell of my heart
I really want to go

There is another world
There is a better world
Well, there must be
Well, there must be
Well, there must be
Well, there must be
Well ...

Bye bye
Bye bye
Bye ...

Just like old times...

August 5, 2013 6:46 am  #76

Oh. Deep breath. This is truly one of the most beautiful videos I have ever seen. I know the song, The Smiths are one of my all-time favourite bands, and it sounds as if it was made for the film. Thank you very much for this. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 5, 2013 6:46 am)

August 5, 2013 6:48 am  #77

Very beautifully done.
Not easy to bear - on a sunny morning...... But somehow calming the same time.
You took over the idea of the movie, I think. Very good!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 5, 2013 6:58 am  #78

Aww, thanks Susi & mattlocked! It means a lot to me, because I worked really hard on it, I know maybe no one but me may notice those details, or the symbolism (i.e "there is another world" and you see migratory birds flying to "another world" etc). I chose each extract very very carefully, so I'm so glad you like it

And The Smiths also are my favourite band along with the Beatles, the Kinks, and Ocean colour scene. This song usually reminds me of my husband for obvious reasons and I can hardly listen to it without being overwhelmed with emotions, but when I saw Third Star lately, I thought that song was perfect for the movie...

Just like old times...

August 5, 2013 7:04 am  #79

The Smiths rock.
My hubby's from Manchester.
First time I spoke to him on the phone, I thought I was speaking to Morrissey!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 5, 2013 7:24 am  #80

Really beautifully done. I couldn't take my eyes away for just a second, it was sort of hypnotizing.

Btw, I was a fan of Morrissey first and only later discovered The Smiths. And of course now I'm a fan of both and always will be.

Board footera