BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2014 6:29 pm  #121

Re: Letters Live

Le Bear Polar wrote:

So while we wait for more news from our reps, here's Ben reading the Bronze medal winner's story from 500 Words. He appears at 1:40. He stepped in as a last minute replacement for Amanda Abbington. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b044j89g

snory-story. XD

Well, if that is bronze, I now wonder about silver and gold. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 30, 2014 9:52 pm  #122

May 30, 2014 10:04 pm  #123

May 30, 2014 10:31 pm  #124

Umph. Good night. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 30, 2014 10:45 pm  #125

Well we have just got back from Day One. And what a day!!

Benedict read four letters from the Christopher and Bessie series, as well as one from Ted Hughes to his son and the most heartbreaking of all, a goodbye letter from Scott of Antarctica to his widow and young son. He had to pause at one point to choke back a tear, as well as the rest of us.

It was incredible. And we do it all again tomorrow!!

I'm clueing for looks

May 30, 2014 11:07 pm  #126

Sounds like you've had a fab day.
I imagined him reading the Scott letter when I first read the book  - I'd love to have seen that.
I'd imagined you'd all be nervous wrecks by now!! Glad you still have your sanity

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 30, 2014 11:23 pm  #127

I'm now safely back home as well (or rather home away from home). What a fantastic day! Unfortunately Ben was nowhere to be seen after the reading, so no chance for autographs or any other exchange, but it was still wonderful to experience him live.

It's late, and I don't have much time to sort through my photos (early day ahead tomorrow), but let me just post one I picked rather randomly. Even though were very much at the front of the queue, the first seven or eight rows were already taken (by privileged people they let it earlier), so we settled for the second row in the elevated part towards the back.

We were maybe 15 meters away from the stage, but at least we had a good view without backs of heads in our way. (Or at least not overly so.)

So, uhm, let me grab a random picture of those 80 or so I took. (Which are of course not remotely as good as those official ones that were posted earlier since we were a lot farther away, and my tele lens isn't that great.) I will be posting a best-of at some point, but I can't promise that I can make that happen tomorrow. Just bear with me. (With any luck, the two videos turned out okay as well, but I have to do some work on them first.)

And without further ado, Ben and two fellow performers, at the very end shortly before they left the stage:

May 30, 2014 11:29 pm  #128

Oh, and I hope you girls have a fab time tomorrow at the second reading! I'm a little envious, I must admit. I do hope you get to speak to him somehow tomorrow! How great would that be?! *fingers crossed*

May 31, 2014 1:53 am  #129

TeeJay that is an AMAZING picture! 

Eee Clare and Bex I'm so happy you met James RHode! TELL US EVERYTHING WHEN YOU GET BACK.

May 31, 2014 2:28 am  #130

May 31, 2014 7:51 am  #131

Polar, I guess you could call that review a declaration of love to Benedict.... you certainly can't praise the guy more in one article. Fab!

And girls: keep enjoying that extraordinary experience! Two days in a row, you really must be close to a heart attack...!
Beautiful pic, Teejay!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 31, 2014 8:24 am  #132

It does feel like a declaration of love, Solar! I love it when people or in this case, the writer, finally understands why the world is in love with him. "What the event reminded you was exactly why he has such appeal." 

I'm happy to know that there is at least one more journalist in the world who finally sees and recognizes his enormous talent beyond all the crazy fangirling and stupid otters and that his fame is not a hollow thing. It sounded like the writer had a epiphany or a moment, when everything fell into place, when she finally gets it--just the kind of magic Ben weaves on strangers, the epitome of a great performer. And she captures it in words beautifully. 

May 31, 2014 8:49 am  #133

Thank you Teejay for posting that beautiful picture
So glad you had a good experience.
Polar, I agree - the writer got what he can do - I want more of that kind of coverage of him!;)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 31, 2014 9:19 am  #134

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 31, 2014 9:33 am  #135

This is heartbreaking. Wish I had been there. He turns a letter into a poem. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 31, 2014 9:36 am  #136

He is amazing. It's as if those words come right from his very own heart.

May 31, 2014 10:35 am  #137

Alone is what I have. Alone protects me.

May 31, 2014 10:37 am  #138

Sweet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 31, 2014 10:43 am  #139

Thanks Clara's sis! 

Things are heating up at Hay, with James, Ben and Loo scheduled to appear! Sounds incredibly exciting. 

May 31, 2014 10:44 am  #140

Yay!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera