BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2014 8:08 pm  #101

Re: Letters Live

Yep, because of the weather apparently...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 29, 2014 8:17 pm  #102

And for those who may not have gotten the e-mail, let me post the details:

WET WEATHER PARKING IN HAY
Wet weather parking will be in full operation tomorrow at both Clyro and Gwernyfed School.

PARKING IN CLYRO
The hardstanding car park at Baskerville Hall Hotel in Clyro, will open at 8.30am and is signposted on the approach from the Hereford direction. There will be extra shuttle buses running from Clyro to the festival site via Glasbury, avoiding the congestion in the town. Journey time is approximately 15 minutes. Baskerville Hall Hotel is on the A438 at Clyro, HR3 5LE, 150 yards west of the Texaco garage. The shuttle bus stop is by the main gate by the road.

PARKING IN GWERNYFED
The hardstanding car park at Gwernyfed High School will open at 8.30am and is signposted on the approach from the Brecon direction. There will also be shuttle buses in operation to bring you to the festival site. Journey time is approximately 15 minutes. Gwernyfed High School is in Three Cocks off the A438, LD3 0SG.

TRAVEL TIME
In case of traffic congestion, please allow an extra hour to reach the festival site in good time for your event(s). All events on Friday 30 May will start 15 minutes later than advertised.

PARK WITH CARE
Please park with consideration for local residents. We ask you not to park on the highway or grass verges.

Last edited by TeeJay (May 29, 2014 8:19 pm)

May 29, 2014 8:36 pm  #103

Apparently there are tickets left!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 30, 2014 9:01 am  #104

So while we wait for more news from our reps, here's Ben reading the Bronze medal winner's story from 500 Words. He appears at 1:40. He stepped in as a last minute replacement for Amanda Abbington. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b044j89g

snory-story. XD

May 30, 2014 9:05 am  #105

This is so lovely. And the girl can write. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 30, 2014 9:34 am  #106

Oh yes! So much maturity in a nine year old. 

May 30, 2014 10:08 am  #107

She's most adorable! Can we cast her as Shirley Watson for S5?  Since the series is currently filling up with lots of superbrains we will be needing a smart cookie!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 30, 2014 12:47 pm  #108

That story really is quite poetic... wow! And Benedict did a lovely job reading it. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 30, 2014 3:05 pm  #109

Twitter is abuzz with excitement as the crowd starts to move in! Sounds exhilarating. 

May 30, 2014 3:29 pm  #110

I'm dying to know what he's reading!!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 30, 2014 3:36 pm  #111

May 30, 2014 3:44 pm  #112

I hope he takes the shower cap off before he goes on!
Looks like quite a big script.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 30, 2014 3:46 pm  #113

He's on! https://twitter.com/baddabyng/status/472403026355822592/photo/1

Looks like he heard you about the cap. XD

Last edited by Le Bear Polar (May 30, 2014 3:48 pm)

May 30, 2014 3:48 pm  #114

So excited for the girls!
Hope he's good and that they're sitting nice and close
( I reckon he wears the cap to tame his hair;))

Last edited by Tinks (May 30, 2014 3:49 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 30, 2014 3:55 pm  #115

Clare thudding live at Hay festival.  https://twitter.com/clarenewman/status/472405584948760577/photo/1 

May 30, 2014 4:24 pm  #116

One of the letters that Ben read out today. Sounds like quite the heartbreaker From http://www.lettersofnote.com/2010/11/to-my-widow.html

To: My widow

Dearest darling — we are in a very tight corner and I have doubts of pulling through — In our short lunch hours I take advantage of a very small measure of warmth to write letters preparatory to a possible end — the first is naturally to you on whom my thoughts mostly dwell waking or sleeping — If anything happens to me I shall like you to know how much you have meant to me and that pleasant recollections are with me as I depart — 

I should like you to take what comfort you can from these facts also — I shall not have suffered any pain but leave the world fresh from harness and full of good health and vigour — this is dictated already, when provisions come to an end we simply stop where we are within easy distance of another depot. Therefore you must not imagine a great tragedy — we are very anxious of course and have been for weeks but on splendid physical condition and our appetites compensate for all discomfort. The cold is biting and sometimes angering but here again the hot food which drives it forth is so wonderfully enjoyable that we would scarcely be without it.

We have gone down hill a good deal since I wrote the above. Poor Titus Oates has gone — he was in a bad state — the rest of us keep going and imagine we have a chance to get through but the cold weather doesn't let up at all — we are now only 20 miles from a depot but we have very little food or fuel.

Well dear heart I want you to take the whole thing very sensibly as I am sure you will — the boy will be your comfort I had looked forward to helping you to bring him up but it is a satisfaction to feel that he is safe with you. I think both he and you ought to be specially looked after by the country for which after all we have given our lives with something of spirit which makes for example — I am writing letters on this point in the end of this book after this. Will you send them to their various destinations?

I must write a little letter for the boy if time can be found to be read when he grows up — dearest that you know cherish no sentimental rubbish about remarriage — when the right man comes to help you in life you ought to be your happy self again — I hope I shall be a good memory certainly the end is nothing for you to be ashamed of and I like to think that the boy will have a good start in parentage of which he may be proud.

Dear it is not easy to write because of the cold — 70 degrees below zero and nothing but the shelter of our tent — you know I have loved you, you know my thoughts must have constantly dwelt on you and oh dear me you must know that quite the worst aspect of this situation is the thought that I shall not see you again — The inevitable must be faced — you urged me to be leader of this party and I know you felt it would be dangerous — I've taken my place throughout, haven't I? God bless you my own darling I shall try and write more later — I go on across the back pages.

Since writing the above we have got to within 11 miles of our depot with one hot meal and two days cold food and we should have got through but have been held for four days by a frightful storm — I think the best chance has gone we have decided not to kill ourselves but to fight it to the last for that depot but in the fighting there is a painless end so don't worry. I have written letters on odd pages of this book — will you manage to get them sent? You see I am anxious for you and the boy's future — make the boy interested in natural history if you can, it is better than games — they encourage it at some schools — I know you will keep him out in the open air — try and make him believe in a God, it is comforting. Oh my dear my dear what dreams I have had of his future and yet oh my girl I know you will face it stoically — your portrait and the boy's will be found in my breast and the one in the little red Morocco case given by Lady Baxter — There is a piece of the Union flag I put up at the South Pole in my private kit bag together with Amundsen's black flag and other trifles — give a small piece of the Union flag to the King and a small piece to Queen Alexandra and keep the rest a poor trophy for you! — What lots and lots I could tell you of this journey. How much better it has been than lounging in comfort at home — what tales you would have for the boy but oh what a price to pay — to forfeit the sight of your dear dear face — Dear you will be good to the old mother. I write her a little line in this book. Also keep in with Ettie and the others— oh but you'll put on a strong face for the world — only don't be too proud to accept help for the boys sake — he ought to have a fine career and do something in the world. I haven't time to write to Sir Clements — tell him I thought much of him and never regretted him putting me in command of the Discovery.

May 30, 2014 4:31 pm  #117

I just hope, there will be something to find on YouTube again. Would so LOVE to see it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 30, 2014 4:49 pm  #118

How odd! When I read that letter in the book, I could really picture Ben reading it aloud - I bet it was heartbreaking to hear.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 30, 2014 6:13 pm  #119

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 30, 2014 6:15 pm  #120

Cool.

Board footera