BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2013 9:44 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock dubbed versions

Lily wrote:

They used the formal "Sie for everyone - even for Molly.

I don't really understand the reason behind this. If the translaters weren't familiar with the use of "du" and "Sie" it would make sense. But why would German translaters working for a German company translate it like that? It is absolutely unusual nowadays to adress your friends with "Sie" and we don't use a combination of first name and "Sie".

I think they also use the formal "Sie" frequenty in other crime series like Tatort, for example, where cops work together as colleagues but are also friends. Nobody would address a friend that formally in real life, but on television it happens quite often.
It's probably deliberately chosen to point out the formal distance between the characters (so nobody gets a wrong idea and thinks they could be a couple ).

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (February 25, 2013 9:46 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 25, 2013 10:03 pm  #22

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

It's probably deliberately chosen to point out the formal distance between the characters (so nobody gets a wrong idea and thinks they could be a couple ).

And it is, of course, absolutely necessary to keep it that way until the very end - even it's the grave where no-one would listen to your soliloqui.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 25, 2013 10:11 pm  #23

Exactly, Tobe. 
A sentence that also confused me was: "I owe you a fall." In German the words for "fall" and "case" are the same. So I thought at first that Moriarty promised Sherlock some sort of case. I only got it when watching the original. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2013 10:36 pm  #24

I only watched a few scenes from the dubbed version but they already made me want to throw my laptop out of the window.
The scene where Molly talks to Sherlock in the lab - I just don't like the way they translated it at all.
To me "looking sad" means "traurig aussehen" (= the facial expression of the person indicates sadness), they translated it with "Sie gucken traurig", which just sounds so wrong. "Gucken" is an active verb, it indicates that Sherlock is looking (at something) in a sad way. Not that he himself is looking sad. And secondly "gucken" sounds somehow childlike - it's bit like "peeking", I think.
Maybe that's just my interpretation but it just sounds so wrong to me.
The same with Sherlock's note: When Sherlock says, "This phonecall, it's my note. That's what people do, don't they? Leave a note.", John replies with 'Leave a note when?'. The German equivalent of 'note' is a quite long word ("Abschiedsbrief" = "farewell letter"), so maybe they couldn't translate it properly without it being out of sync. But the translation they used it in the end just sounds utterly stupid. They let John ask, "Wie jetzt?", which is a very colloquial phrase indicating that you have no idea what is going on or that you simply can't believe what is happening. This phrasing is something I would expect teenager to use, not an itelligent adult.
These things make me think that the translators just don't understand this beautiful language that we hear in this show. The way the characters phrase things just sounds nice and eloquent. The translation makes it sound a bit... brassy? (Not sure if that's the right word.)

Last edited by Lily (February 25, 2013 10:39 pm)

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 26, 2013 12:51 am  #25

Oh, and they translated "It stings" with "Das stinkt" (= "smells").
Seriously.

February 26, 2013 7:28 am  #26

I suppose the use of polite form of address is a kind of tradition and translators just follow the established rule. It takes some courage to propose a new approach and it could be not so easy for a translator to impose their idea if the broadcasting policy is different. Italian language became very informal over last decades (people will often use informal "tu" even in a shop or a restaurant - personally I am not all that happy about being addressed in this way be a waiter or a shop assistant but this is the trend) and Italian films also use it freely. In dubbing however, polite form is always predominant and of course it can have relevant influence on the entire perception of a character/situation. In Sherlock's case changing Holmes/Watson into Sherlock/John relationship was a deliberate shift operated by M&G and very importanto for the interpretation of their friendship. I am curious about Spanish and French version.
And what about the titles of the episodes? Some were easy, but the Reichenbach Fall and Hounds of Baskerville were very problematic: there is no way to use ambiguity of "Falls" and "Fall" in Italian and they just left "Cascate di Reichenbach" (Reichenbach Falls) which makes no sense whatsoever. HoB became "Demoni di Baskerville" (Demons of Baskerville), but Henry Knights talks about the footprints of "mastino" (mastiff): not really archaic word, but established in Italian translations of ACD (and quite similar to the dog we actually see in the end of the episode).

February 26, 2013 7:36 am  #27

In German the titles are translated quite literally. Only ASiP becomes "Ein Fall von Pink" meaning " A Case of Pink". It doesn't really makes sense as the literal translation of "A Study in Scarlet" is well established in German. 
The nice thing about "Der Reichenbach Fall" is that - as I already mentioned - the words for waterfall, fall and case are one and the same in German. So you get three meanings in one word. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2013 9:12 am  #28

The whole German dubbing is tiring. I couldn't watch it with someone in German, I'd always try to explain what the more reasonable translation would be. I'm sure they did their best, but I'm so relieved that I'm able to understand English. Poor souls who don't!

Benedicts German voice is weird, the accent is so exaggerated.

I asked a friend to watch at least "Reichenbach" in English. She did and said the emotions are much more insistent, what a voice alone can do!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 28, 2013 1:35 pm  #29

I can't listen the German Sherlock... I miss Batchies voice so much! :'(

Also they just miss out so many jokes! e.g.

"Hung,  no... Hanged yess"
He says "here you get shot" but on german

When Lestrade asked, how many times the American had fallen out of the window, Sherlock doesn't say "I lost count" He just says, he doesn't know...

Lily wrote:

They used the formal "Sie for everyone - even for Molly.

I don't really understand the reason behind this. If the translaters weren't familiar with the use of "du" and "Sie" it would make sense. But why would German translaters working for a German company translate it like that? It is absolutely unusual nowadays to adress your friends with "Sie" and we don't use a combination of first name and "Sie".

That annoyed me. The said Sie to eachother until the very and. It almost hurts...
Saying the furst name and "sie"... -.-
I also think, the want the people from England to appear polite...

Also I hate the German on-screen-text! I miss the English one SO MUCH! D':

(slightly off topic: Once I had to watch Sherlock with russian subs... was sort of annoying...)

February 28, 2013 1:52 pm  #30

What really annoys me is that the on screen text on the German dvd can't be changed to English. So even when I watch it in English the texts are still in German. I didn't know that when I bought season one. I think I will sell the dvd some day and buy the English version instead.

February 28, 2013 3:38 pm  #31

Uhm, come on folks, the german dubbed version is not that bad 
I actually find it really interesting and somehow clever solved that they say "Sie" to each other. Not so ideal for Johnlock shippers but oh well 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 28, 2013 4:48 pm  #32

Maybe it's not that bad but I just don't like dubbing in general.
I always feel like the people who are responsible for the dubbing don't do the show justice, like they don't put enough effort in it and make mistakes that would have been preventable. And that just hurts me because I really love this show and it's as if it was ripped to pieces.

February 28, 2013 5:02 pm  #33

Mary Me wrote:

Uhm, come on folks, the german dubbed version is not that bad 
I actually find it really interesting and somehow clever solved that they say "Sie" to each other. Not so ideal for Johnlock shippers but oh well 

Disagree. It is not only "bad" for Johnlock shippers. It also doesn't show the deep friendship when they say "Sie". Not to mention the graveyard scene - for a while Tobe used it as signature.

That also reminds me of some tees I found yesterday in a webshop: shock blanket = Schreckdecke
Beruhige dich mit einer Schreckdecke
NO WAY!!!

Last edited by Mattlocked (February 28, 2013 5:04 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 28, 2013 5:24 pm  #34

Is there a web page where I could find German script? It would be really excting to read it.
I agree that formal/informal forms of address are very important and used deliberately in the film: for example in HoB John calls Lestrade "Greg" - obviously they moved to an informal friendship, while Sherlock doesn't even know Lestrade's first name and calls him "inspector" (It's his... Asperger speaking )

February 28, 2013 6:28 pm  #35

...and then Sherlock began to wonder if Mrs Hudson's first name was really 'Mrs'. 

Okay, okay, I'm aware of how much better the original version is. 
It just doesn't really bother me that they speak to each other in a formal address. 

Apart from all jokes that had been left out in the dubbed version, there is a line which I find funnier in the german version. That was when Sherlock said "No, she was leaving an angry note in german."  In the dubbed version he says: "Nein, sie war stinkwütend und wollte uns das auf deutsch mitteilen." 
Dunno, but in the dubbed version the line makes me laugh more 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 28, 2013 6:51 pm  #36

Jokes are always culturally contextualised they are therefore very difficult, if not impossible, to translate. Sometimes they are based on plays on words which just will not work in an alternative language. At other times they are based upon some kind of social norm or attitude which will not always apply in another country and another language.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 28, 2013 6:59 pm  #37

Yes, of course they are, but those two would have been possible!
Also Moriarty doesn't say "That's what people DO" he says "We all have to"
All those examples yould have been possible to translate more accurately, and I am sort of disappointed...

February 28, 2013 7:03 pm  #38

True. Anyway, I've got no idea how to translate it more accurately... for me it seems like a typical slang you can't translate to german word by word, or am I wrong?

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 28, 2013 7:07 pm  #39

You could translate it word by word but you're right, it would sound a bit strange.
I'd probably translate wit with "Das TUN Menschen nunmal!"

February 28, 2013 7:22 pm  #40

Okay, that would be a better translation imo, but I assume it wouldn't match the lips. Difficult thing.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera