BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2014 9:34 pm  #121

Re: Favourite Quotes from Fan Fics *warning - possible adult content*

It took me that long, too, tonnaree    It turned out to be one of the best I've ever read.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 31, 2014 11:04 pm  #122

Well since I just finished The Slashman last night I guess I know what I'll be reading at bedtime tonight.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 1, 2014 11:44 am  #123

Enjoy, tonnaree! There is plenty to discover in it 

The Progress of Sherlock Holmes - ivyblossom

The new client. What I love about Mary here is that the writer so anticipated Amanda's way of acting - intentionally or not 

Fifteen minutes into this case, and I can already see where it will end. An empty box, a solved case, and a new woman in John’s life. A perfect excuse, a perfect solution.
Better than mine, I must admit. A more complete distraction, a barrier. Something to remind John of his total normality, his perfect heterosexual future.
Relegate me (whatever he felt for me, feels for me, might have come to feel for me) to its rightful place in the shadows. Not as invigorating as cocaine. Just as many nasty side effects (probably).

She flirts a lot, this one; more than most. More than she realizes. Flirts with me even, and no one flirts with me.
(Why would they? My default reaction to flirting is to glare. Flirting is a form of manipulation, and I will not be manipulated. Insulting.)
She knows she’s flirting with John, though, she’s doing it on purpose, and John is flirting back.
Tight feeling in my chest. It hurts. Emotions are useless. Get in the way.
(I never imagined it would go any way but this.)

“He’s got a gift,” John explains. “It’s amazing, isn’t it? He can tell almost everything about you just by looking at you.”
Mary looks decidedly uncomfortable. You can divide the world into two kinds of people (were you so inclined); the people who are uncomfortable and/or afraid at the idea that I can determine most (if not all) of the major themes of their lives within the first two minutes of our acquaintance, and those who relish it. The latter group is very small. So far it consists of one.
“Not a gift,” I say. “Just observation.”
“Definitely a gift,” John says. He’s smiling at me now. “Sherlock’s a genius.”
“So,” Mary asks, dropping a hand onto John’s knee as she leans a little toward me across the table.
“What else can you tell me about myself, then?” It’s a challenge. There’s an edge of something in her eyes; it’s not fear, it’s defiance. Who am I in this game of Impress Daddy?
The father that remained distant, the successful businessman, the one with the brilliant ideas that (probably) got him killed?
Clearly. John is the soft part of him, the fantasy, the part she invented in her loneliest moments, the loving part she hoped existed and so craved.
And I am the part that kept him from her. The part she hated. The obstacle.

Last edited by Harriet (September 1, 2014 11:48 am)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 1, 2014 12:22 pm  #124

Really amazing. And she cannot have anticipated it, the fic was one of the first I read and it was completed in March 2011, long before it became known that Amanda would play the part. There are not many fics around that portray Mary in a negative light but they are usually quite good. Because they went for the less obvious choice, I suppose. 
She writes so beautifully. There are passages that are absolutely perfect, not just as fanfic, but as literature in general. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 1, 2014 12:26 pm  #125

It fits Amanda's acting so well, in my opinion. And who knows, ivy might have had her on her mind, not as the To-be-chosen Mary actor, but as her own imaginary one for the fic 

September 1, 2014 2:11 pm  #126

Read the first few chapters last night.  Already in love.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 5, 2014 5:21 pm  #127

Finished "The Progress of Sherlock Holmes" and it was lovely.  I really liked the way she wrote Sherlock's thoughts.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 5, 2014 7:20 pm  #128

You were quick, then. Glad you enjoyed it. A gem, isn't it? 

And more from there: Mary at a crime scene

Burst of anger: why is John contaminating crime scenes with his amorous affairs?
I’ll never be able to remember this murder fondly, at this rate.

“That crumble is burning.” Mary, walking across the kitchen, a bloodied towel in her hand. “Aren’t they going to arrest her?”
“For burning a crumble?” I ask. Curious.
“For killing her husband, of course.” She rinses the towel in the sink, twists it to get the water out. “I presume his body is locked in the cellar or something. Did you check?”
A wry look. She’s surprised me. Would have thought this little domestic scene would fool her, her own desperate shame would hide the results of such obvious infidelity.
But apparently not. (The woman has removed her wedding ring, thrown it at the wall. There is a condom under the couch, a pair of knickers stuffed in the bin. So obvious what happened.)

Mary is not as fastidious with her clothing as I am with mine, nor is she as neat and tidy as John. Someone else he needs to clean up after: I sense a pattern.)

Last edited by Harriet (September 5, 2014 7:35 pm)

September 5, 2014 7:33 pm  #129

The humor in the piece was wonderful!  It's always nice to have a few giggles in with the angst.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 5, 2014 7:40 pm  #130

The only thing I didn't like too much was the way they got rid of Mary. But that is a minor issue.

September 11, 2014 10:36 am  #131

The Progress of Sherlock Holmes (ivyblossom) - This time: Mycroft! 

My icy glare is pointless; he’s not looking at me. He’s reading from a notebook he’s holding aloft as though he’s Lord bloody Byron. Trying to get my attention. He always has it. It’s infuriating.

Mycroft requires a very specific response: Piss off. SH

September 12, 2014 10:54 am  #132

The Progress of Sherlock Holmes (ivyblossom)  Sherlock and John in front of the TV - hilarious!

In about twenty-five minutes, a documentary about socially destructive sexual behaviour in Bonobos is going to come on the telly. John unlikely to watch the whole thing, but since the thrust of its argument is present in the introduction, it will set the proper tone. John sitting on the sofa with me, eating an apple, watching some chat show. I have a report on my lap, which I am perusing.
(Clearly: can watch a documentary and verify some lab results at the same time.)

He gets up to dispose of the core, and when he sits back down, he is partially sitting on my toes. I wiggle them.
He goes back to watching his show, but wraps his right hand around my ankle, absently, and strokes his thumb back and forth from the top of my instep up, across the soft point between my talus and calcaneus bones. Catches me; didn’t expect that. A strangely intimate touch. (Breathe. Breathe.) Feel my phone buzz: a text. Don’t care.

In the Chinese tradition, stroking this spot is thought to stimulate the groin. While I know very well that the body’s organs are not mapped out in the feet, linking this particular spot to the groin might have been done for real physiological reasons; must research this phenomenon later. Concentration is shot. Vision goes a bit blurry. Retain enough awareness to avoid drooling. Pretend to be absorbed in the report all the same. Blissful. When he stops, I notice he’s switched the channel without my noticing. John may or may not have seen the documentary at all.

Last edited by Harriet (September 12, 2014 10:55 am)

September 12, 2014 1:30 pm  #133

"Retain enough awareness to avoid drooling."

LMAO

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 14, 2014 4:36 pm  #134

The Progress of Sherlock Holmes (ivyblossom)

A nice glimpse of Harry during John and Mary's wedding ceremony:

Harry and I both sign as witnesses, while Mary’s two giggly friends look on and snap photos. John looks sharp and serious in his dark suit; Mary looks happy in a green dress (she has the decency not to wear white, which is atrocious anyway). Harry looks marginally perturbed; either she doesn’t approve any more than I do (and if so: perhaps I have met a new friend), or she’s concerned about how long it will be until her next drink. (She looks like John; same sharp eyes, plastic, endlessly readable face.)

And these three (they belong together) made me hold my breath and laugh and cry 

“You’re late.” Hold out the weapon, still in the evidence bag.
“Took me a while to get here,” John says, sheepish, and moves toward me. Limping. Limping badly, using a cane. (New one now: wooden. Gift. Oh. Gift from Mary. She had to purchase it recently because John’s limp returned while they were away from London. She picked it out for him, thinks he likes it. He hates it. Makes him feel like an old man with an old man’s cane. His grandfather had a cane like that. The ugly metal one was better, more medical, less geriatric. More hopeful that the limp is temporary. This one suggests that he’ll just have to live with the limp, pretty it up a bit with a gnarled and bourgeois-polished stick of wood. No. It won’t do at all.)

“John.” He’s at the door now, he stops. I don’t need to see him to know that he’s fiddling with that pretentious wooden monstrosity. “Give me your cane.”
He limps toward me. I extend my hand back, don’t look behind me. Don’t need to see; I know how he looks, just now, a bit ashamed of the limp, confused by it, frustrated. Hoping against hope that I don’t mention it. (I don’t. I never do.) Hiding a little behind his over-long fringe (as if he can). He slips it into my palm. “Thank you.” Moment of indecision; axe? handsaw? The simplest is clearly the chainsaw. Walk over, pick it up, John’s dreadful cane in my left hand.
“Sherlock?”
Tuck the cane under my arm and pull the cord on the chainsaw. It starts up on the first try. Hold it in my right hand, drop the cane into my left. One single slice, right in the middle. The bottom half of the cane hits the floor. (Tacky golden tip, all chipped and ugly. Looks like someone’s chewed on it. Been getting far too much use.) I shut down the chainsaw.
Look over at John. He looks stunned. Confused.
“That’s terrible,” I say. “Tragic accident, your dear cane. What a shame.”
He starts to laugh.

I walk over to the door and pick up the plain black metal cane I brought with me, Hand it to John, handle first. “That will have to do instead.” It’s the perfect size for him; I ordered it to fit. (It helps, of course, that I know the exact length of his legs and arms, the choreography of his gait; I was able to specify the precise right size to suit. He will discover at some point later on that I had his initials engraved on it, just under the handle. Small letters: JHW, placed so he can run his fingers over them when he’s bored. He won’t notice now. He’ll notice later on, when he’s at home, and runs his fingers over the brushed metal.) Not quite as workaday as his original one (given to him by the hospital, no doubt, scuffed from previous use), but solid, unpretentious, and (above all) obviously temporary. “It couldn’t be helped.”
“Thank you.” He smiles at me. Surprise written on his face. Gratitude. Affection.

September 15, 2014 4:31 am  #135

Well picked, Harriet. The cane incident is one of the scenes I remember most vividly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 15, 2014 4:40 am  #136

maryagrawatson wrote:

The entire fic was so quotable, but my absolute favourite line was '‘I’m so tired, John,’ said Sherlock.' Out of context, doesn't mean much. In context, it's heart breaking.

Absolutely. So much heart breaking from the first chapter on, but very well done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 18, 2014 8:37 pm  #137

Sherlock diagnoses John ...

“You need to see me about twice a week.”
I tell John this while he’s sitting in his armchair across from me. He’s reading a medical journal. (His subscriptions still come to Baker St., even though he is no longer paying half the rent.) It’s a Thursday evening and Mary is meeting with her book club. He has a cup of tea in one hand. He needs another haircut. He looks up, through his fringe.
“What?”
“I’ve been tracking the progress of your limp.”
He blanches a little. I have not mentioned it at all until now, in spite its prominent appearance and disappearance over the last few months. He prefers to pretend it’s not happening, but this will be our singular conversation on the matter. I will get through it quickly and change the subject. “You require exposure to danger, or exposure to the potential for danger. I provide that. Somewhere between four and six days away from exposure to potential danger brings on the limp. If you see me at least twice a week, the limp will not return.”
Pause. He looks startled. I look down at the newspaper on my lap. Glance over the news. Looking for crimes involving ball bearings. (Important.)
“Of course, if you go on holiday or are otherwise barred from seeing me, I suppose you could put yourself in some danger once a week. That might work, it’s unclear. Easier to just see me though, I suspect.”
“I...” John doesn’t appear to know what to say.
“Mary has at least one night shift a week, and meets with her friends at least one evening after work. If you spend those evenings with me, you shouldn’t need to use a cane at all.” Don’t look up. I can hear him relax in his chair. He exhales in a laugh.
“I...see.” he say. I look up. He’s grinning at me. Impressed. Flattered. Still slightly embarrassed. I solved another problem for him. (Didn’t he realize?) “Amazing. You’ve got it tracked to the hour, don’t you.” He shakes his head. “That’s...amazing.”

... and what cripples John actually

His face doesn't clench up with frustration (anger, hurt?) when he's with her (like it does so often when he's with me). She smooths out his face (his shoulders, the long muscles in his back, the small ones in his hands, the complications of his post-war life). She speaks; he laughs. Full, unrestrained, confident, unafraid.
(The lack of fear: his body doesn't like it. His body feels tension where his mind believes there is none, invents injury in the face of its deliberate and steady absence. The war broke John. The thing he wants (happiness, stability, comfort, love), this thing that he has is what cripples him.)

September 21, 2014 4:34 pm  #138

Mary and John pay a visit in Baker Street kitchen

“...Are these...” The beginnings of a question. What could she be looking at? The pigeons (preserved in formaldehyde; not that interesting)? The sliced asphalt? Oh of course: the fingernails.
“Yes.” Best nip that in the bud. “Yes, they are, human fingernails. Don’t worry, they were removed postmortem.”
John, opening up a crate, is stifling a laugh. “So, how shall we do this?”

“Honestly, James, do you eat food that’s come out of this kitchen?” Mary, the hard heels of her shoes (heels, not blue) pecking at the tile as she walks around the kitchen table. She hasn’t noticed. James. An amateur’s mistake. Switching out names. Names placed in the same mental category: loved ones, children, pets, colleagues, friends, lovers to whom I am lying. Still hasn’t caught it. “You must need regular doses of penicillin.”

John: his face moved from amusement, contentment, tired but resolved peace, to absolute agony in the space of a few seconds. His whole body is tensed up. His hands in fists, his mouth squeezed tight into a sharp white line. The colour is gone from his face. Even his knees are tense. That was like a physical blow; John wasn’t prepared, didn’t have his guard up. Mary can’t see him; there’s a stack of crates between them. She is wandering through the kitchen like its some kind of department store display, and John is self-destructing.

September 22, 2014 4:35 am  #139

Harriet wrote:

Reading the quotes you post is like readng the best parts of it again. Keep them coming!

October 3, 2014 6:15 pm  #140

Here's a little Silent Auror for a change - Vena Cava

Sweet John guards Sherlock in hospital after Mary's murder attempt

When he gets back to the room, Sherlock has fallen asleep again. John gently slides the cannula back into place and sits down, taking Sherlock’s hand again. Hand-holding can be very therapeutic for a patient with this level of injury, he reminds himself.

Hospital food vs Home-cooked 

Sherlock goes on painstakingly eating his soup.
“This is rubbish,” he says after awhile, and gives up on it. “Your soup is much better.”
“It was tinned,” John says, not looking up.
“Always?”
“Every time.”
“Oh.” A silence falls...

Getting ready for going home to 221b

The Belstaff goes on next, then he tells Sherlock to sit down in the visitors’ chair (John’s chair) and puts on his socks and shoes for him. It feels odd to do this with a grown man, dressing him as though he’s a child. He’s decidedly not a child, and it shouldn’t in any way be at all arousing to be putting clothes on another person. He’ll ignore that thought, thank you very much.

If only...

Sherlock is dismissive, clearly having what he considers more important things on his mind. “John, I – ” he stops, nudges his nose against John’s.
“Yeah?” Good God, if he’d known Sherlock was a cuddler years ago…

Heartbreaking Sherlock - after the first time ...

“That’s better,” he says. “I wanted to do that. I’ve wanted to for a long time. Particularly since your stag do.”
“Really?” John says. “If you had, I probably wouldn’t have protested. I would have known that I should have, but… who knows what would have happened. You thought about it?” He adds, unable to keep from asking, wanting to hear it.

“A lot,” Sherlock says. He puts his fingers on John’s scar, touching it lightly. “I used to masturbate thinking about it, in fact.”

A hot prickle goes through John. This is incredibly arousing, something he’ll definitely need to think about again, and frequently. “You used to?” he asks, though. “You don’t any more?”

Sherlock shakes his head. “After you got married and the fantasy became impossible, it lost its allure.” He pauses, seeming to be searching for words, then says, “Look, John. I know that I’m… no replacement for Mary. I know I’ll never quite be enough to fill that gap. But I can learn this. How to do this. I can be better than I used to be. I promise.”

Last edited by Harriet (October 3, 2014 6:18 pm)

Board footera