BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2014 2:44 am  #1

Hello From Florida, USA :)

Hi, new here (obviously! teehee)

I just recently discovered BBC's Sherlock about.... 6 months ago?  The first episode I saw was actually Last Vow.  I only stumbled upon it because it aired after Downton Abbey one night and I was too lazy to change the channel as the remote was out of reach. Hooray for laziness! LOL. I was quickly intrigued by what I saw and boy did I have some catching up to do!  I ended up watching the show somewhat backwards... I quickly found the rest of S3 on the PBS website and then more recently bought S1 & S2 on DVD.  

And that's actually kinda how I found this forum.  By way of explanation, I am always looking for ways to improve my foreign language skills, both Spanish and German, so I bought the dubbed German versions of Sherlock 1 & 2 online (don't worry, I made sure the original English audio tracks were available on the disks!)  And let me tell you- it is so much easier to learn a foreign language when you don't mind watching the same episode over and over! LOL.  So, having now thoroughly watched all episodes that I can, (S3 apparently not available dubbed in German yet? I hope someone will tell me if I am mistaken about that!), I was curious what other fans thought of the dubbed versions and my online search for "Sherlock auf Deutsch" returned this site at the top of the results.  So, here I am!  After reading and enjoying the "auf Deutsch" thread as well as the "Dubbed Versions" thread I figured it was only polite to introduce myself as it seems I will be hanging around.

Everyone is welcome to call me polo.  And yes, I do play.  The real version.  With, you know, actual horses. ;)  Any equestrians on the board?

May 4, 2014 6:25 am  #2

Re: Hello From Florida, USA :)

Welcome to the forum Polo!

I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

May 4, 2014 8:11 am  #3

Thank you for that introduction polo! I hope you'll have a great time here

Yup, I'm a horse rider! But I don't play polo, I ride Icelandic horses!

May 4, 2014 8:28 am  #4

Welcome the the forum, polo! You've definitely found the right place, and I hope you settle in nicely!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

May 4, 2014 12:19 pm  #5

Hello and welcome to Sherlock world and 221B!

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

May 4, 2014 2:16 pm  #6

Hi, welcome polo! Interesting that after all the discussions about the german dubbing version, it has also such an advantage 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 4, 2014 7:30 pm  #7

Thank you Lady Grace, batchlock, rebecca, Bronte and Harriet for the warm welcomes. :D

And batchlock, how exciting!  I've never had the pleasure of riding an Icelandic myself, but I have seen them on TV in travel shows and videos on youtube and I am absolutely fascinated by the extraordinary way that they move! Do you own your own Icelandic?

May 4, 2014 8:16 pm  #8

You really should try it, it's so different!
No, unfortunately not. When I first began to take riding lessons it was on Icelandic horses. Then I went to a stable with "other" horses for five or six years, but a piece of me missed the Icelandic... So now I'm back on them, and oh how I love it! I'd love to own one myself, but I don't have enough money or time.
Do you have a horse?

May 4, 2014 8:44 pm  #9

Yes, I do.  A couple actually.  Retired polo ponies.  I have my own property out in a rural area, so that saves me having to pay to board them at a stable.  But, I know what you mean about the money part of it!

You should look into sharing or a partial lease of a horse you like.  It splits the burden of care, time and money, and it is every bit as good as owning your own outright!  That's how I got into horses years ago. Hey, it worked for Sherlock and John sharing a flat. :D

Oooo... I'm getting a crack idea for a fanfic... where could I post an informal poll on the board asking people which character is more likely to know how to ride a horse?  Sherlock or John?

May 5, 2014 5:05 am  #10

That sounds awesome! Ponies are lovely.
Yeah, I've heard that before. I'll see when I get some more time maybe

Hahah I don't know... have a look around in the forum. Personally I think Sherlock

Last edited by batchlock (May 5, 2014 5:06 am)

May 5, 2014 7:40 am  #11

Hi! Welcome to the forum! Another equestrian here. I don't ride at the moment, bad back and my little old pony is too arthritic to be ridden any longer. We also have a Belgian Warmblood showjumper (chestnut/sorrel mare). My daughter is at Uni so someone else looks after our horse and competes her at the moment. I've watched a bit of polo on TV  from time-to-time. I also run my own business, making and supplying rope halters, lines, reins, rhythm beads etc.

As for your question about who would ride a horse...well you know what Sherlock Holmes thinks about horses? Dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle. So I would say John. (Both Benedict and Martin can ride of course).

Oh..and using DVDs like that to learn a foreign language. Yes! I did exactly the same with episodes of Inspector/Commissario Montalbano to learn Italian!

Last edited by Davina (May 5, 2014 7:45 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 5, 2014 5:00 pm  #12

Yay! Another equestrian!  Nice to meet you Davina.  I used to make rhythm beads and rope halters myself and sell them on eBay.... oh, way back when, probably 15 years ago now.  I couldn't compete with the factory mass-producers of course.  It was too time/labor consuming to be truly profitable. But I did it during the summer months (which is the equestrian off-season here) really just for the fun of it and a little bit of extra money to supplement my seasonal income.  All my buyers were always the nicest people and it was fun interacting with people from all over the country.

PM me your web address if you don't want to post it here, I'd like to check out your stuff.

Now, as for which of our intrepid heroes would jump on a horse to chase down a bad guy, I see the poll officially stands at 1 vote Sherlock and 1 vote John.

Viewed within the confines of BBC's Sherlock, I would lean towards John myself.  I figure being a military man and all.  Maybe he put in some time in a mounted regiment?  But THEN I learned Martin Freeman can't drive a car in real life!  And of course we know Sherlock drove them to Baskerville.  So, then I'm like, hmm...  maybe John Watson can't drive either?  We've never seen him drive, have we?

I don't know why, but I think someone who never learned how to drive, *generally speaking*, probably wouldn't know how to ride either... but maybe that's just me!

Maybe Sherlock and Mycroft spent more time taking riding lessons when they were in grade school than I previously realized.  Hey, that's a fic in itself!

My vote remains undecided.  More research is necessary!

May 7, 2014 12:41 am  #13

Hi and welcome to the forum, Polo! I used to ride horses, and I'm hoping to start up again this summer. Two of my friends own horses, so I sometimes go and visit them. Enjoy hanging around here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

May 11, 2014 8:42 pm  #14

Thank you Miracle
Very nice to meet you.  Good luck fitting in some saddle time!

May 12, 2014 12:07 am  #15

Welcome, polomare!
I just wanted to say John Watson can drive - he drives a car in His Last Vow!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Board footera