BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2014 7:57 pm  #1

Seminar paper on Sherlock

I've chosen the best topic for my English lexicology seminar paper. I will compare the translations (official and unofficial Czech subtitles) with English original. I can choose one extract and compare the versions generally or I can choose one problematic aspect, for example language humour, and choose individual lines from all six episodes (no official subtitles for Series 3 yet). So I have a dilemma... If I choose the first option, how will I decide which extract? And if I choose language related problems (I can't think of any other aspects), will it be enough to write 15 pages? Nevertheless, I'm super excited!

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

April 29, 2014 8:03 pm  #2

Re: Seminar paper on Sherlock

That's great news, Pav! I'm not sure, do you want us discuss your options? Or rather sharing your excitement? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 29, 2014 8:12 pm  #3

Both I would love to hear your ideas.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -

April 29, 2014 8:24 pm  #4

15 pages altogether, I had to smile - did you check the german air date thread? I wonder if 15 pages will be enough ... 

How much time do you have for your decision?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 29, 2014 8:37 pm  #5

Pav, I think I would go for the second option - but of course that decision would be related to the problems I see with the German translation. I have no idea if the Czech subtitles involve similar problems.
But I agree with Harriet, if the German dubbing is anything to go by, it won't be a problem to fill 15 pages.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 29, 2014 8:39 pm  #6

I don't have a deadline but I would like to start as soon as possible. Anyway, I think I won't have time until Friday, so I have a few days to decide.

April 29, 2014 8:45 pm  #7

Sounds to me that you would prefer language related problems... is that right?
And why do think you would like it better?

April 29, 2014 8:55 pm  #8

That's right I slightly prefer the language related problems because I'm really indecisive and I can't see myself choosing only one extract. If you think there are enough problems... I'll count them and I'll let you know

April 29, 2014 8:57 pm  #9

Well, I personally see a lot of problems, at least in the German translation... sometimes one problem leads to the next... there would be enough material for at least 25 pages, I'm sure.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 29, 2014 9:08 pm  #10

Now, this seems to me now that you'd actually rather do one extract and just can't decide which one..

You could make a lottery.
Or chose your favourite scene.
Or the one with the most interesting aspects.

April 29, 2014 9:21 pm  #11

Pav, what an amazing subject. In my thesis I compared different Germans translations of "Jane Eyre". My focus was on emancipation and female self-image. So I chose some important passages and compared them throughout 8 or 9 translations. 

I agree with Harriet - if there is a scene you love best, take this. Or if there is one aspect - humour, forms of address, cultural aspects - that is most interesting to you, take that. It could also be interesting to examine in which aspects the individual versions of subtitles differ. 

I see no problem in filling 15 pages. What matters is that you really like the subject so that you have fun in working on this. 

If you have any questions I can answer do not hesitate to send me a PM. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 29, 2014 9:35 pm  #12

You may be right, Harriet... I really don't know (like I said - indecisive). I'll think about it in the train tomorrow (if it works for Moftiss, it will work for me). Thanks for your ideas, I knew you wouldn't disappoint me. I'll try to choose an extract or to find enough language problems - things like hound/dog, cell phone/mobile phone, I'll be mother, IOU, I am Sherlocked...

April 29, 2014 9:40 pm  #13

Well, we might as well collect ideas we'd like to write about... like what we had in Germany, how does dubbing change the character of a person or a relationship?

I think Susi's offer is great. At least she knows what she is talking about - unlike me 

April 29, 2014 9:55 pm  #14

I agree, thanks for the offer, Susi. I'll either PM you or I will seek advice in this thread. It's a pity you can't speak Czech.

Harriet wrote:

... like what we had in Germany, how does dubbing change the character of a person or a relationship?

Too philosophical for me.

April 29, 2014 9:57 pm  #15

Okay, go ahead. And, yes, it is a pity, I can only offer German, English and French. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 29, 2014 9:59 pm  #16

No, it's not. If you choose certain words for a person, it is also a description of the character. So you could research a British John compared to a Czech one.

April 30, 2014 5:01 pm  #17

I took your advice and I thought of my favourite episode (Scandal) and of my favourite scenes and I think I will use the scene in Buckingham Palace as there are many things to comment - I'll be mother, Commonwealth, pants, laters, The Woman... However, I'm not fully decided yet.

April 30, 2014 7:16 pm  #18

Sounds like a good idea to me - not too much to get distracted, and enough to write about. What do you think?

April 30, 2014 7:25 pm  #19

Sounds very good to me. Wonderful scene. And "Here to see the Queen"? 

April 30, 2014 8:53 pm  #20

"Apparently yes"... I always giggle even though I have seen the scene a million times. I love this scene so much... I have watched it again and now I'm fully decided I will start writing on Friday.

Board footera