BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2014 8:53 pm  #1

They don't hang out in real life

I really wasn't sure what section to post this article. Or what title to give it!!

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/martin-freeman-i-don-t-hang-out-with-benedict-cumberbatch-092711919.html

April 25, 2014 9:04 pm  #2

Re: They don't hang out in real life

Honestly, why should they hang around in real life just because they play best friends in Sherlock? This is their job and they have an amazing chemistry. And for me this is enough. I think e.g. James Rhodes is a much closer friend and I am absolutely fine with that.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 25, 2014 9:06 pm  #3

"It’s a hard one to talk about because as soon as I say “we don’t particularly hang out”, that’s a lot of people disappointed or whatever."

He knows us so well. I don't know but I got a bit sad, I thought they hung out more. But I understand what he means.

April 25, 2014 9:07 pm  #4

Totally agree, Susi.  Both have been incredibly busy in recent years.  And do they really think us fans assume Ben and Martin are hanging out 24/7?  We're not that naive.

Last edited by SpiralStaircase (April 25, 2014 9:08 pm)

April 25, 2014 9:10 pm  #5

But I think there ARE quiet a few fans who are disappointed about this fact. Because they don't realise the difference between the show and reality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 25, 2014 9:15 pm  #6

Yes. Maybe they are very, very young. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 25, 2014 9:25 pm  #7

Well that's another illusion shattered.

But the main thing is that they get along when they work, and that shows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 25, 2014 10:41 pm  #8

I honestly wouldn't have expected them to hang out outside of work...it amazes that Ben finds time to see any of his friends actually! But with he and Martin - well they clearly work together very
well. And I'm sure they're friendly while filming together, but apart from work schedules keeping them busy, they seem completely different from each other, too - I can't imagine them having that much in common!!
Anyone who gets upset by this must be very young, as Susi says.

Last edited by Tinks (April 25, 2014 11:17 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 26, 2014 1:41 am  #9

I was quite sure they wouldn't hang out in real live because that would've been just too much. I mean, some actors get along with each others really well during their work but that just doesn't mean they have to stick together in real live as well because that would maybe even spoil the chemistry they have on set. They need to be very close when they are working together and then I guess they need to separate for a while and it's alright. As long as they get together to make any more Sherlock, it is defenitely fine for me!

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

April 26, 2014 4:18 am  #10

At least when they are at events together you can see there is an obvious warmth and affection.  There have been stores of co-stars in other shows that absolutely hated each other regardless of their on screen chemistry.  You can tell this is not the case with Ben and Martin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 26, 2014 7:50 am  #11

You mean to tell me they don't live in a flat together?!?!?!?! Ruined!!

================================================================

April 26, 2014 9:04 am  #12

Michele wrote:

You mean to tell me they don't live in a flat together?!?!?!?! Ruined!!

You made my day. 

April 27, 2014 3:33 pm  #13

Michele, my thoughts exactly...!
I can't tell you how disappointed I am by these news...
There I was, thinking that they share a flat, together with Amanda, of course... Martin has to prepare breakfast on mondays and thursdays, Amanda on tuesdays and fridays, Benedict on wednesdays and saturdays... and on sundays they get up at the same time and prepare breakfast together. And now you're telling me none of this is true...??? I'm devastated. Totally crushed. Damn you, Benedict and Martin!!!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 27, 2014 3:43 pm  #14

And they all like dogs. Isn't that reason enough to share a flat? 

April 27, 2014 3:44 pm  #15

And Benedict is lovely with kids 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 27, 2014 3:56 pm  #16

And it's just meant to be, isn't it?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 27, 2014 3:58 pm  #17

Yes! I strongly suggest they throw their things together immediately 
And for a welcome gift I suggest a webcam 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 27, 2014 4:03 pm  #18

With a direct feed to this board. 

April 27, 2014 4:11 pm  #19

Benedict ha his lovely done up house for his own family...though it would be nice if he had pals over!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 27, 2014 4:17 pm  #20

Well, they should just change houses once a month then... they all live together in Benedict's house in the odd-numbered months and in Martin's and Amanda's house in the even-numbered months. It's as simple as that.

Board footera