BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2012 1:26 pm  #1

What positive things have you learnt from Sherlock?

Such as...

The importance of friendship
Always be yourself
Be honest & tell the truth

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 17, 2012 1:46 pm  #2

Re: What positive things have you learnt from Sherlock?

I learn to observed not only just see, hardworking, confidence, and acceptance...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

April 17, 2012 2:04 pm  #3

I've learned that it's okay to be a bit odd. ;P And that someday, even if you think no one will ever accept you for who you are, someone will come along and prove you wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

April 17, 2012 2:07 pm  #4

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Still in an upbeat happy way here so continue smiling all - but how did you get that one from Sherlock?

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 17, 2012 2:30 pm  #5

m0r1arty wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Still in an upbeat happy way here so continue smiling all - but how did you get that one from Sherlock?

-m0r

Lol, specifically the scene in Great Game when Sherlock tells Molly that Jim is gay, then comments to John that it's best for her to know the truth now to save heartache later. But generally, I've noticed that (except when he's acting to get something he wants) Sherlock is always up front with people and tells people the facts and the truth rather than just what they want to hear. He doesn't tell "white lies".

April 17, 2012 4:40 pm  #6

To be more accepting of people who are different, especially those who are socially different.

Through this forum, which let's face it wouldn't exist we're it not for Sherlock, that people from many different cultures and countries can have a lot in common, more than we might initially think.

That persistence often pays off.

Not actually a complete revelation this but that we should all be wary of being manipulated by the press.

Again not a complete revelation but how quickly the public can turn (or be turned) from idolising someone to vilifying them.

That knowledge is never wasted. W may think that something is a waste of time (yes Sherlock, like the Solar System) but you can never be sure when it will come in useful.

That true friends are very, very important and that quality and not quantity of friends is the key.

'Honesty': this is dealt with in two very different ways in the series. Sherlock can be completely dishonest when it suits him (such as pretending to be an old friend of someone who has disappeared, turning on the tears and wobbly voice, just to get information) but can also be so bluntly honest in a social situation that it is positively cringing (e.g. Jim being gay or Xmas in the flat). Basically he does  what suits him. John, on the other hand reminds me a bit of Jimminy Cricket in Pinocchio (not that Sherlock equates to Pinocchio because the puppet lied continually). He gives Sherlock all the social cues he is missing. He understands the value of 'white lies' whereas Sherlock is, frankly, clueless. Sherlock would want someone to tell him the blunt truth and not namby-pamby (love that word) around afraid of hurting his 'feelings'. So although Sherlock 'cries' and does the wobbly voice at the end of Reichenbach Fall, he also lies to John, massively as it happens, so this actually fits in with his normal behaviour.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 17, 2012 6:49 pm  #7

I'm hugely late to get back to work, but I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea because of a delay in reply.  I'm not sure I even totally understand the situation, other than sometimes when someone works really hard on a project for 3 months they want to show someone, and it's frustrating when they can't show it to just anybody, because it might hurt somebody else.  John would never want to hurt Sherlock, or Mycroft.

April 18, 2012 10:16 am  #8

I don't really think I have learned any 'life lessons' from the show actually. I don't see it as that kind of show.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 18, 2012 10:19 am  #9

No, me either. But then, this isn't my first 'exposure' to Sherlock so....

It's more likely that I've learned a greater appreciation for directors (Paul McG), DOPs and Focus Pullers!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 18, 2012 10:44 am  #10

Yeah, if anything I have learned more about the technical side of making something so brilliant. It helps that we seem to have a running commentary of every move made, every camera angle, why this line was here and that twitch was there etc.

And I think that has been one of my 'problems' with this show. I hate myself at times for 'dissecting' something so beautiful. For that reason, I take 'time away' from the clinical observations & simply try to 'stand back & take in the beauty'.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 18, 2012 12:14 pm  #11

Oh yes. I keep meaning to watch Reichenbach for clues and ideas and I end up just enjoying the performances of all. I'll wait for Moftiss to show me the answer next year and it will be so simple and obvious and beautiful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 18, 2012 1:01 pm  #12

I agree about 'just' watching productions like Sherlock initially. It's the same with books, I prefer to 'just' read them at first before analysing them.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 19, 2012 9:21 pm  #13

Definitely to observe better.
And how some small things can lead you to deductions..

June 1, 2012 9:49 pm  #14

My lovely sister, along with just about every person I've ever admired has been a leftie. Artists, mathematical geniuses, etc. Except Sherlock Holmes. Now, I'm proud of my right-handedness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 1, 2012 9:54 pm  #15

And Moriarty is a leftie!

June 2, 2012 6:44 am  #16

And so's John.

June 3, 2012 12:58 am  #17

Gosh that's right!

From the story and character, I guess I should have tried to learn to try to notice more details  (like left-handedness)   (still pretty hopeless)

From the production, I've learned that there is some hope that TV can still offer some pretty high quality shows.

June 3, 2012 3:27 am  #18

Davina wrote:

And Moriarty is a leftie!

That's what I especially love about it: Martin and Andrew (and, by extension, John and Jim) are both lefties, so as far as main characters go, Sherlock is actually in the minority as a rightie!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

June 4, 2012 3:19 am  #19

I'm a budding novelist and through trial, effort and experience I have strived to create scenes and dialogue that "show" rather than "tell" a story. Just when I thought I had become quite clever, I discovered the writers of Sherlock and realized that Moriarty has been rightfully mocking me for being ordinary. The wit, intelligence and brilliant subtle references in this show's dialogue have taught me a lot about sophisticated storytelling. Hopefully these days I am observing and not just seeing.

Otherwise I have learned not to ride in taxis in London, not to look when a car backfires, that bedsheets are the new sexy, and that I hate Lara Pulver for making me feel I'm not as skinny as I thought I was

Disguise is always a self portrait

July 17, 2013 1:55 am  #20

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

I have strived to create scenes and dialogue that "show" rather than "tell" a story.

Hear, hear! Indeed, a fantastic learning and writing experience!

Board footera