BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2014 12:27 pm  #141

Re: Fargo Discussion (WITH SPOILERS)

Russell wrote:

I know!!  Whole thing was a whirlwind leading up to a heck of an impending ending!
And I don't know… most of the time, Malvo's 'evil' was simply being a cold/matter-of-fact 'nobody crosses me or I'll get them' type (hey, he was willing to give up his current con, after trying to warn him off once, to possibly work with Lester, and only killed those he needed to).  Lester's various 'evil acts' so far was being outright deviously avengeful (right word?) to his wife, his brother, his nephew (!).  That bit with the coat was a mix of cowardly selfish saving-his-butt type reaction that made us exclaim at the screen, knowing exactly what was coming!  Possibly more disturbing because you aren't quite as sure when he'll try to twist things for his own ends (or what is willing to do)?

No I definitely still think Malvo is the embodiment of Evil, a satan figure. He does give innocents choices, but it think it's more because he enjoys the challenge of corrupting the good and drawing out the evil like he did in Lester.  Lester is the worst kind of evil though- he is such a gutless wonder.  You are completely right about the coat thing - it was this horrible combination of seeing what was coming but still being in complete disbelief that someone could actually plan and do such a thing. I'm worried he would have no problem killing a pregnant Molly if he had the chance. Hopefully Malvo will get him first...

Last edited by NotYourHousekeeperDear (June 15, 2014 12:28 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

June 15, 2014 6:56 pm  #142

Yeah, and you can never ever trust what Lorne Malvo says or does. I mean, look at the way he treated the guy who was supposed to be his accomplice/assistant in the blackmail incident. Even if Lester had played by his rules and did exactly what he'd said in the aftermath of the elevator incident instead of running off (being purposely vague here for those who haven't seen it), who's to say that Lorne wouldn't still come after him and kill him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 15, 2014 11:36 pm  #143

Oh jes' I dunno why I still watch this... I can't stand watching it, I was so hoping that nothing happends to Molly and her family...
And Lester, oh what did you do?
But I still wonder, what was he up to? Why did he talk to Malvo and run after him in the first place?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

June 16, 2014 5:37 am  #144

I had nightmares after last night's episode!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 16, 2014 5:52 am  #145

zeratul wrote:

Why did he talk to Malvo and run after him in the first place?

I've wondered that too, and the only explanation I have is that a) Lester was a bit drunk, and b) he got too cocky after he had turned a new leaf in his life. His newfound confidence got the better of him, and the alcohol in his system effectively stopped the warning signs that should have come up. Also, I think he was pissed off at being made a fool in front of the people in Malvo's company, and he did it because he wanted to prove he was not that spineless little guy anymore.

June 16, 2014 7:36 am  #146

Yeah, I guess he didn't think it till the end...
He wanted to show how cool he is (even the salesman of the year sounded like someone showing off some school work) and then the situation slipped away from him... because there wasn't really a point to go to...

June 16, 2014 9:48 am  #147

TeeJay wrote:

zeratul wrote:

Why did he talk to Malvo and run after him in the first place?

I've wondered that too, and the only explanation I have is that a) Lester was a bit drunk, and b) he got too cocky after he had turned a new leaf in his life. His newfound confidence got the better of him, and the alcohol in his system effectively stopped the warning signs that should have come up. Also, I think he was pissed off at being made a fool in front of the people in Malvo's company, and he did it because he wanted to prove he was not that spineless little guy anymore.

That's the way I saw it too, yeah.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 16, 2014 11:50 am  #148

So there is only one episode to go, right?
I am curious what they are gonna do there, but I still wonder why I keep watching it, as I can hardly stand it...

June 16, 2014 11:58 am  #149

Found that recently - any guess?

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 16, 2014 11:58 am  #150

lol ;)

June 16, 2014 1:14 pm  #151

To me Malvo is pretty business-like about everything he does. It is not as if he actually enjoys the killing, more like 'well, heck, it's a job someone's gotta do'. I love that he never, ever rushes. always walking, always matter-of-fact. That he is decidedly 'odd' is unarguable. Did we get hints as to why, when he spoke about the photo on the diner wall (the kid with the black eye, the parent's). Also why mention that he had been with the PD but not worked for them. Was he hinting to Sorensen's dad that Lester is mixed up with dodgy people?

Lester, to me, actually seems to be more of a classic psychopath. He never emotionally engages with anyone, everything revolves around him. He just happens to be a gutless psychopath. He also has no moral compass. He coldly does what he has to do, for his own selfish ends, all the time.

I loved the farce like nature of the scene in the diner, one walks out one door as another walks in a different door and then two others just miss the first one as they walk in. Everyone just missing the vital person. Loved this part.

I wonder what series 2 will bring?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2014 2:14 pm  #152

Is there a series 2? I thought I read there won't? Or at least not with Martin?

June 16, 2014 6:27 pm  #153

MartaSt wrote:

Everyone dies. By Malvo. The End. 

June 16, 2014 8:31 pm  #154

zeratul wrote:

Is there a series 2? I thought I read there won't? Or at least not with Martin?

I've read that Coen brothers want to do Fargo 2 but with new characters.

TeeJay wrote:

Short and concrete

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 17, 2014 7:50 pm  #155

Bloody hell! I was laging a bit behind with the episodes but tonight I was finally able to watch episode 8 and 9. Heck!
Until ep 9 I felt a bit pity for Lester and somehow could live with the fact that he got away (always have a heart for the loosers ) but not now any more. No! That was too far. "Pull the hood on. I don't want your face got freeze" Grrrrr, what a devious bastard! And the scene at the diner! I sat in front of my computer whispering "Oh no! Oh no!" . I am really looking forward to episode 10 although sadly I won't be able to see it until monday.

Last edited by stoertebeker (June 17, 2014 7:50 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 17, 2014 9:12 pm  #156

TeeJay wrote:

MartaSt wrote:

Rocks fall.  Everyone dies. 

But really, Lorne and Lester get involved in a shoot-out wherein they kill each other, Molly and the FBI agents at station hear the emergency calls and start to rush to scene.  Unfortunately Molly goes into labor, agents drop her off at hospital while calling Gus, Lou, and Greta to hurry over.  Agents delayed, so hurry a little too fast, have a fatal car accident on the way to the scene, with Bill, who heard what they were doing and was trying to be 'in charge' again.  All other side characters languish innocently in prison for previous/future fiascos they got themselves into, and the last shot is Wrench walking away into a blizzard.
(although I like TeeJay's answer better)  ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 17, 2014 9:18 pm  #157

Also, a little belated, but loving the above banter… totally took the words out of my mouth with some of the responses.

>But I still wonder, what was he up to? Why did he talk to Malvo and run after him in the first place?
I agree with TJ's answer… definitely Lester being 'whoah, it's him' for a moment, then just plain arrogantly wanting to stand up to.

> who's to say that Lorne wouldn't still come after him and kill him?
Malvo enjoys creating chaos, but still very business-like in his dealings, as others said.  Going after someone would just be a job, or a matter of principle if they crossed him first (or covering tracks, like the exercise guy).  All bets are now off with Lester, after this.  Anyone else can't wait to see what happens between them? 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

June 18, 2014 9:46 pm  #158

Well, without spoiling too much, I think I can say... turns out I was 26.6% right. No rocks fell, though.

Last edited by TeeJay (June 18, 2014 9:47 pm)

June 18, 2014 11:18 pm  #159

TeeJay wrote:

Well, without spoiling too much, I think I can say... turns out I was 26.6% right. No rocks fell, though.

Ha!  That's at least 16.6% more than me!  I loved Lester skating on thin ice at the end!!!!

Overall, I liked the finale, but have to say the penultimate episode was better in terms of tension and build up- probably one of the best TV episodes of anything ever...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

June 19, 2014 6:39 am  #160

TeeJay wrote:

Something fell, though...      

Turns out I was only partially right about a couple things, too.  Ha.  And I agree, NotYour!  The whole thing was....  strange.  And yes, I know, 'strange' is the show's style (and surprising us).  And overall, it was a pretty decent show finale with giving viewers conclusion and fascinating insight to the journey all of them were thrown on from the first episode.  Just, aside from already figuring the 'good' people would end up happily and the 'bad' people wouldn't, really didn't expect any of that!

...Huh!  And in retrospect (and without spoiling), it only occurred to me afterwards that I'm pretty sure Lorne didn't make any vocal reaction to the ...thing... that Lester left on the floor!  And even still got off a couple shots??       Holy crud, that character.   (how amazing were those two's acting, btw?)

Board footera