BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2014 9:44 pm  #121

Re: Fargo Discussion (WITH SPOILERS)

Hmm... well actually this scene is something which is put to my head as a clichee about american police... by the media of course... that's my excuse for that....
actually I was wondering what Lorne did that duct taping for... then there came the scene and I was like wtf...

btw the police conversation was saying "suicide by swat team"... well like he taped himself to a gun?

Last edited by zeratul (May 27, 2014 9:45 pm)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

May 28, 2014 5:34 am  #122

We all have issues with our police forces and I see no problem with filmakers referring to this.

Last edited by besleybean (May 29, 2014 7:29 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 29, 2014 7:26 pm  #123

besleybean wrote:

We all have issues with oue police forces and I see no problem with filmakers referring to this.

Agreed.  Just interesting how reaction can vary based on the context and how exaggerated they're making it?  In this show, Molly and Gus tend to come favorably far ahead of the others to be the main good/smarter token pair, and (heads up warning, for those finding it tiring) the latest episode plays with that exaggeration of intelligence again.  All for the story?
Heck, even Lester's exaggerated sharp turn into maliciousness gave us several awkward 'whoah' reactions!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 29, 2014 7:36 pm  #124

While I'm here, 2 funny incidents at work...
1 a few weeks ago:
My colleague was playing tennis wirh one of the kids.
He belted the ball real hard.
It whacked said colleague right in the middle of the forehead.
She swayed and I honestly thought she was gonna keel over like Lester's wife.
" That was all a bit Fargo!" I said to her!

Then today, I walked into our office and there was a hammer, sitting right in the middle of the unit.
I grabbed it and headed for the door, just as said colleague walked in.
I brandished it at her.  
She laughed and said. "yeah, but where would you hide it?!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 1, 2014 1:25 pm  #125

Finally caught up on last weeks Fargo.

Lester you sly dog.   How far you've come from that stuttering wuss in the first episode.

Is it wrong that Evil Lester is dead sexy...........

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 1, 2014 2:00 pm  #126

tonnaree wrote:

No, not at all. Though it's kinda amazing that they're making you sympathize with a man who deliberately killed his wife. Very clever TV-making, that.

June 1, 2014 2:20 pm  #127

TeeJay wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

No, not at all. Though it's kinda amazing that they're making you sympathize with a man who deliberately killed his wife. Very clever TV-making, that.

I do wonder if I would sympathize nearly as much if anyone other than Martin was playing the part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 7, 2014 2:56 am  #128

So just throwing this out there preemptively, wondering how many of you have seen this week's yet (or for when those of you do on Sunday)?  Anyone else curiously surprised in a 'wait a minute' way at the time jump in the story?  But then, it did make sense… without any further developments and each character's spot fairly wrapped up, they could move it ahead.
Boy, after a year of 'back to normal' or smooth sailing (or being stuck), though, I'm probably not the only one who can't wait for the police people to cross paths with the case again, and a confrontation between Lester and Lorne!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

June 7, 2014 7:37 am  #129

I really loved the link back to the movie and how Molly turned into Marge, with Gus as a postal worker now! 
Lester is just delicious (how hot does Martin Freeman look with that haircut and the glasses OMG!).  Most of me wants to see Molly bring Lester down- but there is a small part of me that wants to see him indestructable as Malvo the Second.  Can't wait for the next episode!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

June 7, 2014 2:02 pm  #130

Have now got my hubby watching this, although I'm to sure he really 'gets it'. He was a bit confused by the flashbacks. I thought the scene with the FBI men outside the building and Lorne going in and the ensuing mayhem, all being filmed externally, with the panning across the windows, was just a fantastic piece of work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 7, 2014 2:05 pm  #131

I sickly laughed in parts of that scene...

June 8, 2014 12:05 am  #132

Yes, and yes, to all of the above with the highlights I didn't mention. 
I noticed and loved that movie link, too!  After my viewing-friend and I got over our 'wait a minute, what?' curious surprise at the time jump, they give you a laugh throwing you right into that, and she got it right away too.  Clever variation of haircuts for several of them to show time passing, as well.
That choice of panning across the building with just the sounds of mayhem was the best.  One of the most 'whoah' moments, other than Lorne's scenes in the hospital (Mr. Wrench!), and suddenly seeing him again at the ending.  Oh, Lester, how you've changed!
Did anyone else realize who played the two hapless (again!) stakeout agents in Fargo?  I don't watch many comedians, but read later that it was the duo Key & Peele.

Also still love how, in keeping with the style, lots of the titles are philosophy/riddle metaphors.  Can't believe there's only two left, but next is 'A Fox, A Rabbit, And a Cabbage', then 'Morton's Fork'… one being a logic riddle about careful pairings most of you probably know?  And the other referring to a "specious piece of reasoning in which contradictory arguments lead to the same (unpleasant) conclusion"… kind of love the implications that gives.   

June 11, 2014 4:19 pm  #133

Critics have Fargo as a front runner for Emmy awards for a miniseries, including some of the cast. Just LOVE this production!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2014 4:42 pm  #134

Me too.

June 11, 2014 5:27 pm  #135

Me three!  I knew it would make waves, with all those people involved.  Still inwardly exclaiming when recall certain scenes from last night!!

June 13, 2014 7:16 pm  #136

Damn it Lester! Whyyyyyy. (Has everyone seen Ep 9 now? Because HECK)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 13, 2014 7:21 pm  #137

Er...which was that?!
I haven't seen this week's yet.

June 13, 2014 7:43 pm  #138

*grins ear to ear at your response*   'Aww jeez', right?  I KNOW!!!!   
besley- yes, I'm pretty darn sure she means this week's, considering what our twisted boy Lester did.

(on the other side of things, SH, how happy are we with the shift for Molly, huh?) 

June 14, 2014 9:07 am  #139

Best episode yet!  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time waiting for Malvo to appear and shoot the hell out of Lester.  The orange coat thing really got me- I'm still thinking about it!
Who do you think is more evil, Lester or Malvo?  Lester's breed of evil is distrubing me more somehow...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

June 15, 2014 2:28 am  #140

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

Best episode yet!  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time waiting for Malvo to appear and shoot the hell out of Lester.  The orange coat thing really got me- I'm still thinking about it!
Who do you think is more evil, Lester or Malvo?  Lester's breed of evil is distrubing me more somehow...

I know!!  Whole thing was a whirlwind leading up to a heck of an impending ending!
And I don't know… most of the time, Malvo's 'evil' was simply being a cold/matter-of-fact 'nobody crosses me or I'll get them' type (hey, he was willing to give up his current con, after trying to warn him off once, to possibly work with Lester, and only killed those he needed to).  Lester's various 'evil acts' so far was being outright deviously avengeful (right word?) to his wife, his brother, his nephew (!).  That bit with the coat was a mix of cowardly selfish saving-his-butt type reaction that made us exclaim at the screen, knowing exactly what was coming!  Possibly more disturbing because you aren't quite as sure when he'll try to twist things for his own ends (or what is willing to do)?

Board footera