BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2014 6:44 pm  #21

Re: Fargo Discussion (WITH SPOILERS)

And now we have the supermarket king.  I gues Lorne is going to be doing other jobs while he's in town. 
Feel so bad for Molly.  Dude who took over as chief wouldn't know a clue if it walk up and bit him on the arse.

Just a side note, there's something very wrong with Lester's nephew.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 1, 2014 12:10 pm  #22

tonnaree wrote:

I think the brother explained that "he has the autism" .

What an amazing show. Fargo is one of my all time favourite movies and I had my doubts about them turning it into Tv series but I was absolutely blown away. Martin and. Billy Bob were incredible. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to Martin's voice and mannerisms not belonging to John but to Leister, but once the plot kicked in I was completely sold by his performance.

Love the Leister in his wife-beater (oh dear) shots girls!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

May 1, 2014 5:08 pm  #23

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I think the brother explained that "he has the autism" .

Yes, Lester's brother mentioned it in episode 1, in the scene when the two men were in the cellar and his brother showed Lester his weapons.

I am also hooked on the series. I don't know the movie though. But I suppose that isn't necessary to understand the series.

I wonder why Lorne repeatedly listened to a recording of Lester's phone call while examining the blackmail letter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 1, 2014 5:22 pm  #24

It's not necessary to be a fan of the movie to enjoy the tv show but if you are it just makes it that much better!  They captured the look and feel of the film perfectly!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 1, 2014 6:57 pm  #25

Exactly!   Not necessary, but makes certain 'nods' to it kind of awesome (pregnant wife!  pair of criminals, one of them 'silent'!  inept police!  all the 'aw jeez's!  the red ice scraper!!).

Was a little frustrated couldn't see what everyone was buzzing about for a while… no cable, and asked a friend with dvr to record it, suggesting she'd probably like it too.  Well, something happened to the recording, ended up breaking down and buying it to watch on Amazon, watching the movie that night with her instead (yay for refreshing my 90's memory), but now we're both all caught up.  And oh.. my… god.   Right from the start I was blown away by Martin and Billy Bob.  Favorite parts of the whole show.  Their demeanors, some of their lines, BBT's 'coldness', Martin's hapless, simmering anger.  He really does remind me of a classic trope 'trickster' type character, watching the chaos.  A little uncertain how far they're going to take him… Lester's now trapped by the aftermath, and maybe he'll end up joining Lorne again as he heads off to another job, shucking his old life?  I curiously looked up how far apart the towns were… by the way, tonnaree, 'in town' being a slight generality.  They live in Bemidji, but Lorne drives to his next 'job' in Duluth.  And then remember Sam was said to be involved with a criminal outfit out of Fargo, which is where the investigating pair was from?  ;)  Couldn't help it, I'm such a geek… neat to have a visual of where they're at: So basically, Lorne is a number of miles away now...

Can't wait to see where they go with.  By the middle of the third episode, was unfortunately starting to get a little tired of the repetitive trait of density through some characters, but unfortunately that's likely what you get when needing to string it out longer for reveals/the plot for a tv series.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 1, 2014 6:59 pm  #26

tonnaree wrote:

It's not necessary to be a fan of the movie to enjoy the tv show but if you are it just makes it that much better!  They captured the look and feel of the film perfectly!

Well, I'll put it on my "need-to-watch" bucket list then .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 1, 2014 7:12 pm  #27

Didn't read the thread... well where does it air and where can I watch it?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

May 1, 2014 7:21 pm  #28

Well, it's on FX on Tuesday nights at 10:00pm here in the states.  I think episodes are available on their website.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 1, 2014 7:24 pm  #29

I cannot even see their website . They block me right at the front page...

May 1, 2014 7:30 pm  #30

You can also watch it on the channel 4 website: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/fargo/4od
I use the firefox web browser with the add-on 'Media Hint'.

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 1, 2014 7:33 pm  #31

May 1, 2014 7:44 pm  #32

The "Hola" add-on for Firefox might also help.

May 3, 2014 6:03 pm  #33

It really took place like this it says?
Otherwise I would say, really strange story ;).

May 3, 2014 8:09 pm  #34

zeratul wrote:

Maaaaaybe….   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

May 3, 2014 8:27 pm  #35

zeratul wrote:

The Cohen Brother's may have taken ellements from real crimes but I highly doubt the whole story is true.  They did the same thing with the film.  For ages people thought it was a true story till they finally came clean.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 3, 2014 9:38 pm  #36

Okay... It was all plausible till the hammer scene... I totally thought he would wake up after the first hit and just dreamt it... it was quite surreal...

May 4, 2014 12:36 am  #37

zeratul wrote:

Okay... It was all plausible till the hammer scene... I totally thought he would wake up after the first hit and just dreamt it... it was quite surreal...

Surreal is a common trait in the works of the Cohen Brothers.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 4, 2014 2:43 am  #38

tonnaree wrote:

zeratul wrote:

This.   Plus, think about it.  All that stuffed emotion, for years and years, suddenly nudged awake by circumstances. 

May 4, 2014 11:17 am  #39

Everyone has a breaking point.

This weeks episode was fantastic!  Except for when Lorne killed the dog!!!  

Loved the scene with Lester and the "greiving widow"!  Who's sons really are idiots.

I find myself having such sympathy for Lester even though he did a horrible thing.  I mean, he murdered his wife in cold blood!  I blame Martin.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 4, 2014 11:40 am  #40

Russell wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

zeratul wrote:

This. Plus, think about it. All that stuffed emotion, for years and years, suddenly nudged awake by circumstances.

yeah but I mainly meant the way they showed it... Lester is quite cheesy... and the hit feels more like he hit her with a clown hammer made from plastic... only thing missing was a squeeek sound... and the way the wife rolls her eyes and stands there and there is no blood at first... this was quite... comedian... like a dream

On channel 4 there are only 2 episodes so far. Is there some delay?

Last edited by zeratul (May 4, 2014 11:42 am)

Board footera