BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2014 9:08 am  #1

Benedict to play Ian Fleming?

Just saw this, apparently Benedict has been offered to play the role of Bond author Ian Fleming...!

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-benedict-cumberbatch-to-play-james-bond-author-ian-fleming/

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 17, 2014 9:11 am  #2

Re: Benedict to play Ian Fleming?

That sounds interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 17, 2014 9:12 am  #3

Interesting - but another role that seems to have been stuck in the development stage for some time?
Hopefully if it's true, it can get up and running quite quickly because he seems to spend a lot of time waiting for his projects to get underway!
I've a hunch that there might be some truth to this though.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 17, 2014 9:20 am  #4

I've got the same hunch, Tinks, don't know why. I think during one of the panels in Sydney someone asked him about playing Bond, and he gave a bit of an evasive answer... maybe he didn't want to run the risk of saying something he shouldn't say. I mean, it's not Bond, but it's pretty close... and the project sounds interesting.
It says in the article that shooting should begin at the end of the year... would make sense for "Hamlet", I'm not so sure about "Sherlock" though...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 17, 2014 9:25 am  #5

You were thinking the same way as me, Solar! I remembered the Oz Con too, when I saw the thread.
So it looks like things are starting to fall into place for him? That's good
As you say, though, I'm not sure where that leaves Sherlock; for the first time I'm thinking if rather than when to be honest.

Last edited by Tinks (April 17, 2014 9:25 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 17, 2014 9:28 am  #6

OOOOH THIS EXCITES ME!!!!

I'm clueing for looks

April 17, 2014 9:37 am  #7

Tinks wrote:

As you say, though, I'm not sure where that leaves Sherlock; for the first time I'm thinking if rather than when to be honest.

Ooohhh, don't say that...! I mean it's true, they are taking their time with officially commissioning S4, but it's just... unthinkable that they would stop now.
It could mean that Benedict (all of a sudden, so it seems) would have a lot of work on his hands again quite soon... I'd love that!

April 17, 2014 9:38 am  #8

May I make a very shallow remark?
This would of course, in all probability, mean lots of scenes with Ben in a suit!!!!
Happy Days!!!!!

Solar - sorry, didn't mean to scare you!
I love that Ben's getting busy again Martin seems to be too
You'd think the BBC would tie writers and Actors to a deadline for completion of each new series really, rather than have things always blowing in the wind like this - then everyone could work around that.

Last edited by Tinks (April 17, 2014 9:42 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 17, 2014 9:42 am  #9

Shallow remarks like the one you've just made are always very welcome...!

My boyfriend would love this, by the way. He loves Bond and I'm sure he'd be delighted if Benedict played Fleming...!

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 17, 2014 9:43 am)

April 17, 2014 9:45 am  #10

It's a win-win situation

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 17, 2014 9:49 am  #11

Tinks wrote:

You'd think the BBC would tie writers and Actors to a deadline for completion of each new series really, rather than have things always blowing in the wind like this - then everyone could work around that.

It's weird, really, because Sue Vertue said in January during the Apple Store Talk that they were already talking about schedules at that point. But how could they talk about schedules when the BBC hasn't even commissioned S4...? Why does everything concerning "Sherlock" always have to be so... complicated?

April 17, 2014 9:55 am  #12

Apparently, so I read on Twitter yesterday, that Martin was on Radio 4 or 2 I think talking about Fargo, and Sherlock came up in conversation. He said they had hoped to start filming THIS AUTUMN but that was looking unlikely now. So I reckon it will start filming this Christmas and early next year, ready for a Christmas/NY 2016 release. That leaves eight months for Madagascar voicing/LCoZ filming, and Martin and Benedict's incarnations of Richard III. Which is probably about right I would think, with careful scheduling.

I'm clueing for looks

April 17, 2014 12:21 pm  #13

Oooh that sounds like a great project! Awesome!

I hope it all works out with Sherlock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 17, 2014 7:25 pm  #14

clareiow wrote:

Apparently, so I read on Twitter yesterday, that Martin was on Radio 4 or 2 I think talking about Fargo, and Sherlock came up in conversation. He said they had hoped to start filming THIS AUTUMN but that was looking unlikely now. So I reckon it will start filming this Christmas and early next year, ready for a Christmas/NY 2016 release. That leaves eight months for Madagascar voicing/LCoZ filming, and Martin and Benedict's incarnations of Richard III. Which is probably about right I would think, with careful scheduling.

Wow. This just sounds so exhausting for Ben!  Yet at the same time I love it when he is busy.

Board footera