BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2012 6:27 pm  #21

Re: Harry Potter

jimella wrote:

If I remember correctly, didn't JKR said she originally planned to kill off Arthur Weasley? Then she decided against it, but one of the Weasleys had to go...

What? NO. But... NO. NOT FRED! ARGH. HOW.

sorry, still emotional about this...

June 21, 2012 9:43 pm  #22

Sammy wrote:

jimella wrote:

If I remember correctly, didn't JKR said she originally planned to kill off Arthur Weasley? Then she decided against it, but one of the Weasleys had to go...

What? NO. But... NO. NOT FRED! ARGH. HOW.

sorry, still emotional about this...

Yeah--  In an interview, JKR  said she had considered killing off Arthur in OOTP  when he was bitten by that evil snake Nagini.   But then  she decided against it,  only to be able to put more deaths into the DH book.  that's my opinion anyway.   Poor fred.   even to this day,  I keep forgetting WHICH twin got killed. 

I have both parts of DH  now, and they are still unopened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 10, 2012 8:47 am  #23

And at that time too, I kept saying Fred is my crush (although I can't tell Fred and George apart). So I was really sad that he had to die.

Then there's Lupin and Tonks....

July 12, 2012 3:59 pm  #24

yeah,  sad that they had to die, too,  there could have been a whole new series  devoted to them and their son Teddy Lupin.  I can't tell the twins  apart either.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 12, 2012 3:59 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 12, 2012 6:01 pm  #25

It's really strange when you see the twins without their red hair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 27, 2012 10:54 pm  #26

The HP books are my favorite books of all time. I started reading the books before the movies came out. I was into the movies until the fourth one. I mean, I really like them and they're fun but they're still a little "meh" to me. I think my favorite movie is Chamber of Secrets. Possibly Prisoner of Azkaban. I think my favorite book is Goblet of Fire...or Azkaban. Hard to choose!

sherlockskitty wrote:

I've read all of the books.   took me 4  days  just to read Deathly Hallows. I stood in line for 5  hours,  at  midnight at Barnes and Noble, to get that book.   I  still can't believe I did that,  but that was my  FIRST  experience doing that.  It  was  fun  to see all the costumes.  Alas,  my  book was not one of the 1st editions, sorry.

Glad you went! I went to the midnight release parties for Phoenix, Prince, and Hallows. So fun. I dressed in costume the last two times. I went to most of the midnight showing for the movies as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 28, 2012 6:22 am  #27

I read all the books in English and then I read all of them aloud in German to my son. I love them. It's a wonderful universe and there's so much fun to be had for children and adults alike. And of course we own all the DVDs. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 4, 2012 10:01 pm  #28

SusiGo wrote:

I read all the books in English and then I read all of them aloud in German to my son. I love them. It's a wonderful universe and there's so much fun to be had for children and adults alike. And of course we own all the DVDs. 

Susi, I've read them all in six languages, but so far, not German. I suppose that's because I don't read German. But by now I should be able to figure it out, no?

Anyway, I went to a presentation about inter-generational communication a while back, and the speaker gave HP as a specfic example of something different generations can enjoy together.

October 5, 2012 10:35 am  #29

I saw the first three parts in German TV then I bought parts 1-5 on DVD and watched them in English and read the ebooks of all seven parts in English. So my Harry Potter world is English. I often have problems to remember the German translation of things or places.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 5, 2012 10:50 am  #30

lol, I have the same "problem" with movies. E.g. I talk to my colleague about "Love Actually". She goes: "Hm???"  "Err.. Tatsächlich Liebe." "Ahh! THAT movie! Now I know!" 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 5, 2012 11:06 am  #31

I read all the HP books in english and german and really love them,
also the english and german audio book editions.
There is always some more detail to be discovered.

But I stopped watching the movies with GoF,
as I felt they interfered too much with my own imagination of the characters and sets.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 5, 2012 11:35 am  #32

LOL, exactly. I call it Love actually,too.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 12, 2012 5:39 pm  #33

Is anyone going to tour the Warner Brothers London Harry Potter studios?

http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

Last edited by veecee (October 12, 2012 5:40 pm)

October 12, 2012 7:38 pm  #34

I plan to go to England/Scotland in May 2013 and this is on the MUST list!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 12, 2012 7:49 pm  #35

veecee wrote:

yes, my niece will. Hope she knows how lucky she is.

October 12, 2012 7:54 pm  #36

Mattlocked wrote:

veecee wrote:

Let's have a report back, can we?

We went to an exhibit in Chicago that had some set pieces, props, and costumes from the movies (about 3-4 years ago?). It was wonderful. I would love to go to the actual studio.

October 12, 2012 8:31 pm  #37

I live near London and I didn't even know this existed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 12, 2012 8:44 pm  #38

Davina wrote:

I live near London and I didn't even know this existed!

Just normal I think. I don't know many of the exciting things here where I live. 

October 12, 2012 11:28 pm  #39

OMG, ME, I love Harry Potter!! Another British epic!! I've read them all, and watched them all. My favourite film is Prisioner of Azkaban, but I can't choose a fav book. Which of you are on Pottermore?
P.S: For those who live in UK, I envy you so much ( ), you have 221b Baker Street AND The Wizarding World of HP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

October 13, 2012 7:38 am  #40

veecee wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

veecee wrote:

Let's have a report back, can we?

We went to an exhibit in Chicago that had some set pieces, props, and costumes from the movies (about 3-4 years ago?). It was wonderful. I would love to go to the actual studio.

I don't know exactly when she will go there, but of course I'll ask her all I can think about when she's back.

Pottermore? Another forum? I should try it one day, IF I find time for it! 
The whole Potter-thing started when reading the first book. The complete surrounding, all those beautiful ideas with Hogwarts, moving stairs, talking pictures and and and... Couldn't stop reading.
In the first movie I fell in love with Snape then - followed by the actor Alan Rickman. So now I own all dvds and all books of course. Read them in German and part of it in English, too.
Once we managed to watch an episode undubbed in cinema which really was an experience.

Board footera