BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2012 6:02 pm  #21

Re: Hawking on BBC 4, 17.04.2012, 0:00 BST

It is, frankly, an astonishing performance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 7:06 pm  #22

52 minutes of downloading remaining...auuugh! May I hang out here to make the wait bearable?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 7, 2012 11:43 pm  #23

Very moving. BC's performance is very human and real; both painful and joyful to watch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

February 23, 2013 9:06 pm  #24

Thanks to Lily for pointing me to this thread.

I just finished watching Hawking on you-tube. I am still sitting here stunned by the performance. I can understand why Benedict won that prestigious acting award. (Saw that on you-tube as well) Not sure what it was called, but it sounded like a good one to have.

I know I'm rambling. Sorry. This dude can act! Seriously I am stunned and want to run out and find it on DVD to rent so I can share it with the family. I never really knew the story of Steven Hawking and did not know that his story was so tragic and so triumphant at the same time. 

I mean, yes I know who Steven Hawking is, but this was such a wonderful look at the journey he traveled. I want to say more but I need to get some distance first. I am reeling a little, and want to see it on something bigger than a laptop screen. This movie is going to stay with me for a bit. 

Point of interest: - I am feeling less obsessed with Sherlock at the moment! LOL

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 23, 2013 9:47 pm  #25

I understand your feelings. It's a breathtaking performance and a deeply moving film. This man can act.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 24, 2013 9:08 pm  #26

I have had a day to think about the film “Hawking”. The thing that affected me so deeply wasn’t just the stellar performance by Benedict Cumberbatch, but by the story itself. I knew who Stephan Hawking was, but didn’t know anything about his life or how he came to succeed even with his physical handicap.

After watching the film I went out and looked up as much information as I could find about this rather remarkable man. I found a message written by Hawking entitled Living with ALS. Reading this paper gave me the insight to realize that BC’s performance as Stephan Hawking was as remarkable as I thought even before I had a bit more information.

I already knew that BC’s portrayal of the progression of the disease was very well done, due to my work both in the medical profession as well as work I have done with severely handicapped individuals. It was the performance as a person grappling with this condition that stood out so strongly. In the film Hawking never seemed to allow his condition to affect his outlook on life. That seemed a remarkable thing to me, especially considering that early on in the film he asked the doctor for details about this disease and what it would do to him.

The doctor very plainly explained that he would slowly lose the ability to control his muscles and when that happened they would whither and atrophy. Stephan asked about his ability to breathe. The doctor explained that breathing is an automatic function and would take longer to be affected by the disease, but that eventually he would also lose that ability as well. Then he asked how this will affect his mind, only to be told that his mind would be unaffected. That is equivalent to telling a young man of 21 that he will slowly become trapped, a prisoner inside his own body before he essentially suffocates, all the while being completely aware of what is happening to him.

There are only a few instances where we see the fear and the anger that any human being would feel in this situation. The look on BC’s face after this conversation with the doctor, the frustration he feels when trying to remove his shoes at the end of a day, and the difficulty he had in trying to tell the cab driver to take him to Trinity Hall. It almost seemed as though this aspect of the film was underplayed, but after reading Stephan Hawking’s own words I realize that it was not underplayed at all, but played beautifully!

This paper is located here for any interested.
http://www.hawking.org.uk/living-with-als.html

I have since purchased the film so that I can watch it again on the television screen with proper sound. I am sure that this will be one of those films that I watch many times. Benedict Cumberbatch is to be commended for taking on a difficult role and doing it with enormous grace and intelligence. He was completely believable in every aspect of this role and it seriously showed his acting chops.

What a marvelous film. I am so very glad that I became a Sherlock fan so that I could find my way to this remarkable work. I will eagerly seek out any other roles that this exceptionally talented young man has done. I’m sure there are some things that I will never be able to see and that is truly a shame.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 24, 2013 9:40 pm  #27

Thanks for your detailed post and the link. He's done a lot of excellent work and many films are available on CD. As for his stage performances, you will find some of them on Youtube. There's one two-person play about Winston Churchill and the later Soviet spy Guy Burgess for example which is very good. You'll have a lot of fine things to discover. 
And of course I must recommend "Third Star", one of my favourites. A wonderful film but keep tissues at the ready. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2013 11:14 am  #28

What a fantastic movie..I've realised so many things. Thank you.

~ It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it.

August 28, 2013 2:28 pm  #29

"Hawking" will finally be released on DVD on 14 October. 

August 28, 2013 3:36 pm  #30

This was loooong overdue!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 28, 2013 3:47 pm  #31

Fantastic news.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 8:07 pm  #32

I just watched it for the very first time, and I'm still a bit speechless. What a wonderful, amazing, breathtaking and moving film...! I had tears in my eyes several times because it was so easy to truly feel with Stephen. When he was writing this huge formula onto the blackboard I almost lost it completely... you could really feel how devoted he is to this, how he needs this like other people need to breath.
This movie actually made me wish I had a better understanding of physics and natural sciences. It's probably just romantic thinking, but I got the impression that there lies so much beauty in it...!
The music was perfect, and I loved how they visualized the idea of Stephen going against the tide when he was shown walking in one direction while all those cyclists were coming right towards him.

And Benedict, well... another amazing and brilliant performance. I sometimes can't believe how talented he really his. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 8, 2014 9:11 pm  #33

I love the film as well and agree with you in all respects. After having known Stephen Hawking only in his present state is was moving to see him as a young man who could still go to parties, lie in the grass and watch the sky and develop his ideas about the universe. I imagine that Benedict captures his early self quite well. There are many wonderful scenes and I was stunned at how precisely Benedict showed his physical deterioration whilst establishing his groundbreaking theories. Just look at the way he tries to move his hands. Not to mention the speech difficulties.
And the scenes with the two Nobel prize winners which baffled me at first are well done in showing how they finally proved what Stephen had recognised years ago.  

February 8, 2014 10:08 pm  #34

Right, I was quite confused by the scenes with the Nobel prize winners. I mean, I knew there had to be a reason, but I had no idea what it might be. And then it made total sense and I absolutely love the fact that with their discovery they helped to prove that Stephen was right.
Benedict's acting reminded me a bit of his creature in "Frankenstein"... very physical, very precise and probably very exhausting for him to accomplish.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 16, 2014 9:16 pm  #35

I watched this earlier today; I'm in love!

Stephen Hawking has always fascinated me; and so has physics and astronomy... I failed physics myself in school but I just have a love for people who have such passion to find out such essential answers! 

Benedict played this brilliantly; I felt like I was watching the real Stephen Hawking fall apart physically on screen. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like to play that; the gait, the hands and then the speech!

Another thing I loved is that Stephen Hawking himself had a cameo in this! And in the most perfect scene too! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 3, 2014 8:49 pm  #36

SolarSystem wrote:

I just watched it for the very first time, and I'm still a bit speechless. What a wonderful, amazing, breathtaking and moving film...! I had tears in my eyes several times because it was so easy to truly feel with Stephen. When he was writing this huge formula onto the blackboard I almost lost it completely... you could really feel how devoted he is to this, how he needs this like other people need to breath.
This movie actually made me wish I had a better understanding of physics and natural sciences. It's probably just romantic thinking, but I got the impression that there lies so much beauty in it...!
The music was perfect, and I loved how they visualized the idea of Stephen going against the tide when he was shown walking in one direction while all those cyclists were coming right towards him.

And Benedict, well... another amazing and brilliant performance. I sometimes can't believe how talented he really his. 

I agree with this post. I watched Hawking on You Tube last weekend. I found BC's performance very moving and he is fantastic in it. I wanted to hug him because he was struggling to do things. I loved this film.

Last edited by Bronte89 (May 3, 2014 8:57 pm)

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

May 3, 2014 8:51 pm  #37

One of his best performances.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2014 9:42 pm  #38

This film is certainly in my top 5 of Benedict's films. It somehow reminds me of antoher great film which was "My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown" with Daniel Day-Lewis.

It was sometimes difficult to watch "Hawking" becasue seeing how main character is struggling with his illness was so painful and yet he was so cheerful, so passionate, so devoted to his work that most healhty people could envy him. I think Benedict perfectly showed developement of Hawking's disease, how it was complicating his life and how young Hawking was astonishingly fighting with it. Absolutely worth watching.

Last edited by MartaSt (May 3, 2014 9:44 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 3, 2014 9:43 pm  #39

And still is!

May 3, 2014 9:56 pm  #40

besleybean wrote:

And still is!

Of course. Hawking is really great man, I love his books and I admire him because he is so smart and even with his disease he had done and he is still doing so many marvelous things. I think most of people, if they were in the same situation as him, would be complaining about their hard life and would turn illness into excuse to do nothing at all, but he is not like this and for that I appreciate him.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

Board footera