BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2016 1:05 pm  #381

Re: The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

Amazing interview, he looks handsome, and nice to see more clips of this! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 3, 2016 1:08 pm  #382

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 3, 2016 1:12 pm  #383

Holy cow. 

How the hell did he manage to ride and all? My condition is barely visible and some days I can barely walk! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 3, 2016 1:17 pm  #384

Comment of my friend:
"I will be glad if he leaves his clothes on, for once."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 3, 2016 1:20 pm  #385

It is indeed astonishing that he was a skilled fighter who died on the battlefield. Not sure how realistic this condition is but Benedict says in the interview that Richard's scoliosis got gradually towards throughout his life. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 3, 2016 1:29 pm  #386

Untreated scoliosis usually does that... 

I saw a picture of the 'real' Richard III's spine and it looked very disformed... and I imagine horse riding etc. would worsen the curvature in a way too... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

May 3, 2016 3:48 pm  #387

I just saw the gifs come up on Tumblr and then came to see if you guys had seen it yet.  I was surprised, and it wasn't until the part where he starts saying the speech that I realised that this was Richard.  It did look rather shocking and uncomfortable, but the prosthetics are impressive.  It looks real. 

Clueing for looks.

May 3, 2016 3:49 pm  #388

I love the idea of showing him naked, of confronting the audience with his deformity. I have not seen this done before and it looks shockingly real. 

May 3, 2016 3:52 pm  #389

I haven't seen that before either, it is a surprising move.  But since in the text he mentions his deformity and its relation to what he is going to do in that opening speech, I can understand the choice.

Clueing for looks.

May 3, 2016 4:12 pm  #390

Wow, he looks amazing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 4, 2016 4:39 am  #391

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

*bows down to her knees* 

Heck, I'm bowing down to the floor…!      
And..  holy, cow, yes….  those gifs!  Alarmed amazement, to see those visuals used for emphasis, too.  And also wait a minute… seeing -that- in comparison to everything on horseback so far, and wondering how… except yeah, probably the passage of age, like you mentioned.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 4, 2016 7:12 am  #392

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 4, 2016 7:21 am  #393

This is amazing. 

Russell: Richard fought in battles on horseback until his death which is quite astonishing regarding his disability. 

May 4, 2016 8:39 am  #394

Well, one can understand why he could be ill-tempered. I am wondering whether B. wore the full prostethics in all the scenes, though. Surely there was no need for it when he was fully dressed?

May 4, 2016 9:33 am  #395

Maybe he wore a different kind of, less detailed prosthesis when he was dressed. But even then you need to see the deformation, so he surely wore something. I don't think you can show this just through acting and the way you move your body. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 4, 2016 4:40 pm  #396

Right, okay, and yes… definitely.   Not well-versed on Richard.  And from all the other pics we'd seen, he hardly looked hunched at all, hence wondering how fast progressed, and how they were choosing to show him (like the others said, seeing it physically even with clothes/armor).  Still….   wow.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 4, 2016 4:52 pm  #397

Years ago my parents saw Anthony Sher in the role, in live theatre...he performed the entire piece on crutches- I think he won awards.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 4, 2016 5:39 pm  #398

I gather that in real life it wasn't particularly evident and wouldn't have been very noticeable in clothes/armour.  Obviously Shakespeare's version refers to it, so I suppose the audience need to see it, and I wonder if they're thinking about the "real" son of York when showing it clearly when he's topless, but not so much when clothed. 

May 4, 2016 5:50 pm  #399

We know that because of Tudor propaganda Shakespeare painted him worse than he was. And the insistence on his deformed back may have been related to the belief that his disfigured body reflected his disfigured would. 

May 4, 2016 6:26 pm  #400

(And I say this as a Yorkist)
At the end of the day, he's the prime suspect in murdering 2 young boys.

Board footera