BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2014 10:24 pm  #201

Re: The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses (was "Richard III")

tonnaree wrote:

Russell wrote:

*gives tonnaree a 'Look'* I was going to add that, but then thought I should go with a more proper shoulder rub!

You know I don't have moral conflicts like that Russell.

*innocently darts a look around, whistling, goes to warm up the towels for his majesty*

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 13, 2014 10:47 pm  #202

What I wouldn't give to see this thing right this minute after reading that quote... GIMME!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

December 14, 2014 12:36 am  #203

I just read on IMDB that this series will star Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons and Benedict Cumberbath.

*dies fangirling*

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2014 8:22 am  #204

I think you might be misunderstanding.
Jeremy and Tom were in the last series.
Benedict is in the new series.

Last edited by besleybean (December 14, 2014 8:22 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 14, 2014 10:11 am  #205

It's a pretty amazing cast (the last series and the new series). 

December 14, 2014 11:02 am  #206

Other than Sherlock(naturally), the last series of Hollow Crown is the best TV I've seen in a very long time...so I have high hopes for the next round.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 14, 2014 12:06 pm  #207

Oooh, well, that's not bad either. Makes it worth to see both seasons. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2014 12:28 pm  #208

Definitely.   They're very, very good - quite traditional in a way in that they're filmed "historically" - no fancy modern reinterpretations.  That, and the acting, seem to make them easy to watch just as films, rather than have to sit there with Spark notes or something.  I was particularly struck by Ben Whishaw (Richard II) and Simon Russell Beale (Falstaff), but they are all outstanding.  And also an interesting bit of history which I knew very little about (I grew up in Scotland and we didn't do English history) - obviously it's not historically accurate, but it was interesting to read more.  And also to think about how heavily Shakespear and other popular works influence our historical view.   We were talking about that in terms of TIG recently - about how historical facts were changed for the film because some things worked better in terms of entertainment - but that I could easily have come away from the film believing forever that those things were true.   I know my idea of Richard III is based on Shakespear rather than history.   It has been interesting reading about their findings since unearthing his body a while back. 

December 14, 2014 3:04 pm  #209

I had no idea you were from Scotland...whereabouts?!

December 14, 2014 3:32 pm  #210

Glasgow, originally, but moved away in my 20s to Wales, then England.

December 14, 2014 3:42 pm  #211

Your journey was almost exactly the opposite of mine and both us via Wales! Whereabouts in Wales?!

December 14, 2014 3:59 pm  #212

I'll PM you before I totally derail the thread!

March 9, 2015 7:11 pm  #213

There's an interview with Judi Dench at the Boston Herald website (it says it's from US Weekly, but I can't find it on the US Weekly website): There's nothin' like a dame! Judi Dench talks about Maggie, Benedict and her future (Retirement? Heck no!). In it is a bit about Benedict, with whom she worked in The Hollow Crown: 

You're busy! Tell Us about working with Benedict Cumberbatch on BBC's The Hollow Crown.

I've known Benedict since he was a little boy. His mother and I went to school together. I send him and his new wife huge love. I've been thinking of him, and his ma and pa.

(Not exactly an in-depth analysis, but perhaps there will be more in the US Weekly piece. Or perhaps not, as she's out promoting a different movie!)

Last edited by REReader (March 9, 2015 7:11 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

March 10, 2015 5:36 am  #214

I'm trying to work out whether the first series of The Howllow Crown was ever shown on TV here in Australia, does anyone know? If it did, I obviously missed it. I can't seem to find the DVD available locally either. I'm definitely tempted to buy it...

Just looking through the photos of Benedict filming his scenes... Wow, he looks good in armour. Must have been so exhausting galloping around on a horse and waving his sword in the air for take after take! I love those brooding looks in those other photos, and the shots of him with short hair and crown 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2, 2015 6:32 pm  #215

Sorry (not sorry), don't recall this pic being among the ones we were sharing from the set a bit ago?  I know it's similar to other shots, probably was floating around in links around the same time, but just saw it on my pinterest and immediately thudded.  Just loving the particular shot of him looking all cheekbone-y majestically 'grr'.  Figured the only thing to do was be courteous and share.    Was wanting to see a bit of fierce king-ly Ben again anyway…      Be so cool to see this when it comes out!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 13, 2015 3:36 pm  #216

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a poster:

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 13, 2015 3:41 pm  #217

Oh dear goodness

I think I've fallen and I can't get up 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 13, 2015 3:54 pm  #218

He is not amused.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 13, 2015 3:57 pm  #219

Looking for his horse, I suppose. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 13, 2015 4:01 pm  #220

I'll probably get flamed and chased away with planks for this but somehow I don't like it that much. It's too fierce for my likes, those blood stained, the helmet, the teeth as if he wanted to bite the audience...hmmmm..

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera