BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2014 11:02 pm  #121

Re: Richard III

There will always be idiots.  I use to usher at one of our most popular theatres here in Atlanta and I had to call out many people to put their cameras away no matter how many times it was announced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 1, 2014 5:12 am  #122

A lovely light wrote:

I know, i don't condone that. 

But what makes me angry, really really angry is to relate that to Hobbit-fans / Sherlock-fans/ whatever fans.How do they know that? How do they don't know that they are not simple some star-strucked persons who have no quite idea about fandom? It puts a bad light on the theater experience as it would be only for fan-girling, it puts a bad light on fandom as such as they would be , i don't know how to say it, brainless? 

For some people, being a fan is to a be a brainless screaming fan-girl unfortunately...  it's so easy to reduce an entire fandom to that

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

September 1, 2014 6:07 am  #123

I think the Daily Mail is exaggerating massively again, I just thought yesterday that the audience is actually rather disciplined and respectful. I was really surprised that no one took a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch or Andrew Scott when they were in the audience. I mean I think it's absolutely great that they could be there in private and weren't bothered at all by fans. When the actors from my other favourite tv show go to the theatre, there are always secretly pictures taken and fans even come up to these actors and want to take pictures with them. So I think for some reason the Daily Fail just doesn't like Martin Freeman and is always eager to say something negative about him.

September 1, 2014 5:40 pm  #124

I didn't see anything negative about Martin in the article?

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

September 18, 2014 6:47 pm  #125

These two look like they are reports from the same talk, interview, or event (it's not clear from the articles): 
From The Telegraph: Martin Freeman: Playing Richard III has done me in
From Digital Spy: Martin Freeman laughs off 'screaming girls' Richard III reports

Last edited by REReader (September 18, 2014 6:48 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

September 18, 2014 8:31 pm  #126

When I saw the play, there was no inapprobiate fan behaviour at all, no clapping or cheering in the scenes and  at the end I found the applause rather short, I wished the audience had clapped much longer, but it´s probably a different tradition in Germany, here people tend to clapp for a long time, making the actors, singers, dancers come out again and again.
The audience was completely mixed, all ages and not significantly more women, mostly middle age couples or whole families.
And I can totally understand why Martin Freeman finds the role rather strenuous, the staging is quite physically and of course emotionally demanding and he is in almost every scene. And having only one day to recuperate and having to do two shows on 2 days per week must be exhausting. And then he´s addittionally doing stage door 2 or 3 nights a week and he is so lovely, so polite, friendly and patient with the fans.

September 21, 2014 3:25 pm  #127

Just because i love Monty Phyton, i have to put this here:  https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/513704426117533696 
"Went to see the brilliant Martin Freeman in Richard 111 at Trafalgar Studios. Superb production, amazing performance."

Last edited by A lovely light (September 21, 2014 3:25 pm)

Board footera