BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2014 8:14 am  #81

Re: Richard III

Yeah, must be really interesting to see Martin in this. But no way for me to make my way to London. I'm there in October. Too late ..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 8, 2014 2:18 pm  #82

Both Martin and Jamie Lloyd have refuted claims (via Twitter) that the audience has behaved anything less than perfectly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 8, 2014 2:21 pm  #83

Whoops sorry...you guys already covered that on the previous page.

Anyway, I'm going to see it on August 8th. Ridiculously excited. We should start a Spoilers Thread for people who've seen it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 8, 2014 2:24 pm  #84

Wow, I am jealous. 
Have a lot of fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

July 9, 2014 7:37 pm  #85

Here is an interview with Martin which should put every rumour to rest. 

http://jennaknowsash.tumblr.com/post/91276930453/dex5m-martins-comments-on-fans-ruining

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 9, 2014 7:57 pm  #86

Well, that are clear words. Thanks, Susi ... and Martin. 

And I like to add once more, that I don't need my doctors clean shaven. I really love the beard.

(Tony Hadley)

July 9, 2014 8:22 pm  #87

Awww, he's such a sweetie.

July 10, 2014 5:04 am  #88

gently69 wrote:

Well, that are clear words. Thanks, Susi ... and Martin. 

And I like to add once more, that I don't need my doctors clean shaven. I really love the beard.

Yeah, he really looks very handsome with the beard. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 10, 2014 11:46 am  #89

He does look handsome with it.  Which I don't understand because I usually do not go for facal hair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 10, 2014 11:51 am  #90

Normally it is my taste neither. But with Martin ... yes ... really nice!!!

(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2014 8:56 am  #91

I'm wondering whether I should re-read Richard III before I go. What do you guys think?

July 11, 2014 9:22 am  #92

Read at least a summary. I saw a production here in Germany last week and was glad that I could remember the complicated family relationships. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2014 11:46 am  #93

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I'm wondering whether I should re-read Richard III before I go. What do you guys think?

I always do a little reviewing of the text before Shakespeare.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 11, 2014 4:26 pm  #94

I'm going to see Richard III on July 19th - really looking forward to it!!  Sounds like it's going to be an exciting production.
Don't know the play at all - so thought I'd better read it.  Just got to Act III and I think it's going to be amazing.  I get a bit confused about what has happened historically leading up to the events in the play.  A lot of stuff is referenced about previous characters being murdered etc. but it's not really clear exactly what's happened.  I think it probably won't matter on the night though.

I've seen a bit of Shakespeare before - and I think it is definitely better to be a bit familiar with the play if possible - just to try and not miss out on stuff!

Last edited by DorsetDeb (July 11, 2014 4:29 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
"You get to see a guy who’s just slightly on the edge of being different, and he’s a hero for people who feel they are different or maybe slightly on the edge of society.” Benedict Cumberbatch

July 12, 2014 11:57 am  #95

I made a Richard III roleplay profile on Facebook last night. It's my head canon that he ran into the TARDIS during a battle and accidentally got brought to this time.

July 19, 2014 7:18 am  #96

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 20, 2014 3:18 am  #97

I loathe Brantley, so I hadn't even bothered reading his take on it.  Variety gave it a very good review, and I've seen a few other solid ones as well.  I haven't been paying much attention though since I'm not seeing it.

July 20, 2014 7:10 am  #98

I think there is either hate or love for this play. I saw some bad reviews  (guardian, Telegraph) and some very good (for example (spoiler galore!) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/10958942/Richard-III-Trafalgar-Studios-chilling.html and http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/theater-review-richard-iii-at-718971 ). Loads of people on twitter like it (inclusive Ken Follet), some few don't. 

Those expecting the same canon-Shakespeare Richard III just in 70 set would be dissapointed. No Olivier Richard, no Sher Richard. The choosen set has a great importance for the way Richard is played and those not knowing that era might not understand all decisions made by Lloyd.

I lived myself 14 under a dictatorship (partially in the set era), my family lived under 3 different ones, i so can see the symbolistic - it is spot on for the times i lived. And i would have been very disspointed had Lloyd choosen just to bring in the modern times the play but not the persons in the play. Lloyd had maybe too much symbols and that might be tricky to get if you lived for your whole life in a peacefully democracy and you are not interested in the european history of XX century - his interviews are very interesant if you want to understand his vision. It is a very particular one, not for everybody to like. It would been far easier if they have choosen to play in a conservative way the expected villain Richard, they went on other jurney - wenn you do that you have to be prepared you won't get only love.

For the people going to see it, may be helpful to look at the footage of the european dictatorships of that times and look a bit at those dictators to get it. 

July 22, 2014 9:22 am  #99

I'm not reading any of the reviews because I don't want anything to cloud my own judgement before I see it. Having said that, I am extraordinarily bias and seeing as Martin is one of my favourite actors I basically enjoy everything that he does, so I do realise that I'll probably end up loving it.

Quite a few of my friends have been to see it already and are going in for repeat performances to see it two or three or sometimes four times, so that's obviously a good sign. Even if you were a fan of the actor I think, if it wasn't that good, you'd still probably only see it once.

Apparently, if you want to get covered in blood, you should try and get A14 and A15.

August 1, 2014 8:11 am  #100

£15 Richard III tickets for August and 1st September go on sale at 10am this morning. Man, I'm so excited that I actually ended up having a dream I was in a play with Martin last night...and he let me stay at his house because it was nearer and we hung out together all day and travelled in to the theatre together every night and became best buddies.

Board footera