BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2014 12:32 pm  #61

Re: Richard III

That's not good. That's Shakespeare ... not a concert. I certainly won't do that during Benedicts performance when he plays Hamlet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-news/10949592/Martin-Freeman-fans-ruin-Richard-III.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 7, 2014 1:25 pm  #62

Let me just add that I read that the new about overenthusiastic fans are quite exaggerated. I hope this is true. On the one hand it is great to get an audience to watch Shakespeare who are not in the "usual target group" and I think that Maureen Lipman's comment from the article sounds moren than a bit snobbish. On the other hand of course you should show enough respect so that the performance does not suffer. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 7, 2014 1:25 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 7, 2014 1:31 pm  #63

We will wait for other reviews. But apart from that ... the picture ... wow ... impressive!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

July 7, 2014 1:34 pm  #64

But look at his thin arms... almost loks as if he lost some weight...?

http://38.media.tumblr.com/69ea291681ae95901574ddf90e3a5d3f/tumblr_n88eo3DJg91s6lkf4o3_1280.jpg

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 7, 2014 1:42 pm  #65

Oops, oh yes, he seems to be really thin.

(Tony Hadley)

July 7, 2014 1:53 pm  #66

Yes, he is. And another strange thing - I saw the pic from the production linked above in b/w and did not recognise him at once. He looked much like Kenneth Branagh in it. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 7, 2014 2:17 pm  #67

gently69 wrote:

That's not good. That's Shakespeare ... not a concert. I certainly won't do that during Benedicts performance when he plays Hamlet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-news/10949592/Martin-Freeman-fans-ruin-Richard-III.html

The director of this production, Jamie Lloyd, has just tweeted that this story is not true, the fans have been very focused and respectful.

July 7, 2014 2:30 pm  #68

(Tony Hadley)

July 7, 2014 4:08 pm  #69

Some people are just uppity.

I also think some people forget that theater in general and Shakespeare in particular was originally for the masses.  Shakespeare is bloody and bawdy.  You've got melodrama, beheadings and toilet humor.  
Shakespeare is a damn good time.  And I wish more of the central population understood that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 7, 2014 4:58 pm  #70

You make good points, but I was embarrassed to read  the news stories of: Freeman fans ruin play for others...
I fear for Benedict in Hamlet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2014 5:51 pm  #71

BB, did you read the other reviews that denied the claim?   The "ruined" statement was one person.  Everyone else is saying it's exagerated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 7, 2014 9:43 pm  #72

Well to be fair, I'm not going to see it, so I'll shut up about it.
I will report back on Hamlet.. next year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2014 9:59 pm  #73

Amanda had also tweeted that the report about the disturbing audience is not true.

Has anybody already seen the play? I so desperatly want to see it but it's just to expensive to travel to London (flight, hotel, tickets)  .
Has anybody heard if the play will be recorded for the cinema?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

July 7, 2014 10:07 pm  #74

Yes, I just got to that, too!
Thanks, all.

July 8, 2014 7:16 am  #75

Interesting article and comments about how to behave during a performance: 

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/07/stop-clap-shaming-first-time-theatregoers-who-martin-freeman-tell

July 8, 2014 7:25 am  #76

Yes, that's really interesting. Now I know how to behave when visiting the Hamlet play next year... though I already know how to behave before ... I guess.

(Tony Hadley)

July 8, 2014 7:55 am  #77

Trying to breathe and watch and listen at the same time will be the most important thing, I suppose.

Last edited by SusiGo (July 8, 2014 7:56 am)

July 8, 2014 7:56 am  #78

The comments to that article are pretty interesting, too. Both 'sides' do have a point, I dare say.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 8, 2014 7:59 am  #79

SusiGo wrote:

Trying to breathe and watch and listen at the same time will be the most important thing, I suppose.

I will try, I will try ... though listen to and understand are two completely different things ... LOL

(Tony Hadley)

July 8, 2014 8:01 am  #80

Fascinating fuss about it!  Sighh….  wish I could see him in such a role (despite sheepishly not knowing that particular play of the bard's).  Loving these extra pics also just posted:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-07-07/not-seeing-martin-freeman-in-richard-iii-heres-the-next-best-thing

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera