BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2014 1:15 am  #1

Richard III

Broadway World is running a story that says Martin will be starring in Richard III at Trafalgar Studios this summer.  Broadway World is normally a very reliable source, but their information as of now comes from The Daily Mail.  So, grain of salt at the moment, but possibly something else to look forward to.  It would be lovely to see him return to the stage.  

EDIT: The director has confirmed on his twitter page.  Martin's doing Richard III this summer!

Last edited by asyouwish (April 4, 2014 1:18 am)

April 4, 2014 7:12 am  #2

Re: Richard III

Oh wow, that is amazing, it's one of my favourite Shakespeare plays. So, big question: Is Martin going to play bloody Richard?  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 4, 2014 7:16 am  #3

I was just buying tickets to watch the play here in Germany and now Martin is in it as well … wow. Very exciting. 

According to the tweet he will be Richard. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 4, 2014 7:25 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 4, 2014 7:27 am  #4

I would never ever have thought of Martin for the role of Richard. Could be very fascinating.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 4, 2014 12:04 pm  #5

I really need to move to the UK..............

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 4, 2014 1:18 pm  #6

You're not the only one, tonnaree. Flat share, anyone?

April 4, 2014 2:18 pm  #7

Count me in. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 4, 2014 3:34 pm  #8

SolarSystem wrote:

You're not the only one, tonnaree. Flat share, anyone?

Come on girls.  We can do this!  Or maybe all go in on a time share condo?  It could be a forum thing!

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 4, 2014 10:09 pm  #9

Yessss, we would have to. Living in London is seriously expensive, ha.

Anyway, this is great news about Martin. We're gonna be getting so much Shakespeare. Richard III AND Hamlet!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 4, 2014 11:57 pm  #10

It makes me happy that people who aren't necessarily into Shakespeare will want to see these and perhaps gain a new appreciation for the Bard.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 5, 2014 5:08 am  #11

I'm scared about my bank account with all these Shakespeare plays I must see! I'm looking forward to seeing Martin play Richard III, likes been said, it should be fascinating as it's not someone I expected to play the role!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

April 5, 2014 7:40 am  #12

Am I the only one who is not fully convinced of this choice? I think MF is a wonderful actor but I have difficulties picturing him as Richard III. Physically, a bit, but above all because of his voice. Of course actors can change their voice to a degree, but still, Martin's voice is as far removed from a villanous king as I could imagine - of course I could be wrong.

April 5, 2014 8:58 am  #13

I've never seen Martin perform badly - I think he's a superb Actor, his success has been a long time coming and is well deserved.
I don't get that thing with him though, where I forget it's him, and see only the character - I think there are certain characteristics that he brings to all of his roles, to a greater or lesser degree.
So I think that he'll maybe be a little different from the perception of how Richard should look and speak; it will be very much Martin playing Richard, if that makes sense.
But he will give you every inch of emotion that Richard feels, so in that respect, I think it should be great.

Last edited by Tinks (April 5, 2014 8:59 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 5, 2014 2:54 pm  #14

Amanda tweeted this earlier:

Shakespeare: Ahhh Mr Freeman would you like to be Richard III and that...?
Martin: ... Yeah. All right..

And this:

Shakespeare: ahhh Benedict. Do you want to play Hamlet and that...?
Ben: gosh, yes, um, of course, yes...!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 5, 2014 2:59 pm  #15

April 7, 2014 6:12 am  #16

Tinks wrote:

I've never seen Martin perform badly - I think he's a superb Actor, his success has been a long time coming and is well deserved.
I don't get that thing with him though, where I forget it's him, and see only the character - I think there are certain characteristics that he brings to all of his roles, to a greater or lesser degree.
So I think that he'll maybe be a little different from the perception of how Richard should look and speak; it will be very much Martin playing Richard, if that makes sense.
But he will give you every inch of emotion that Richard feels, so in that respect, I think it should be great.

Yeah, I agree. There's always something very 'Martin' he brings along into his parts, and I love it, because it gives the characters he plays a very distinct note and it really doesn't take away from his acting, if you get what I mean.
I think it is going to work very well for Richard III, just as it works very well for John Watson.
So I'm very much looking forward to this.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

April 7, 2014 1:48 pm  #17

I am afraid I won't be able to visit London this summer, I would love to see him in the part, although I continue to have my doubt. Sometimes even an excellent actor simply doesn't fit given character. Also, MF has almost no theatrical record, or am I wrong? I mean, Benedict has a long and solid theatrical background, so he arrived to Hamlet after a period of "apprenticeship" so to speak. I am really curious whether this experiment is going to work.

April 7, 2014 3:01 pm  #18

miriel68 wrote:

Also, MF has almost no theatrical record, or am I wrong?

You're very wrong.  Martin has done loads of theatre.  I've seen him seven times, and those are just the shows I was able to travel to the UK to see.

April 7, 2014 3:38 pm  #19

Oh, that's interesting! What plays he did? I was trying to google some information, but couldn't find anything. Can you tell more about it? 

April 7, 2014 4:35 pm  #20

Lately there's been a group of pictrues from some of Martin's stage work going around tumblr.  Will have to see if I can find it again.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera