BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2014 9:01 am  #1

SH and CAM: Similarities

Why does Sherlock hate CAM?
There are in fact a lot of similarities to be found in their behaviour, environment and lines. I made a list:

Mind palace
Disrespect for boundaries
Sniffing;  commenting about the choice of perfume Mrs. H. in Hounds  (bit racy for a Monday morning) and Lady Elizabeth in HLV (too young for your age)
Napkin into glass of water: Sherlock in The Empty Hearse to wipe his fake moustache off CAM when being with Lady Smallwood to wipe the smell off his tongue
Some similar or identical lines: I was invited (SH to Sally in ASiP and CAM at the enquiry to Lady “Alicia” Smallwood.
Mind if I join you (CAM to Lady Elizabeth and and SH to Fletcher inHounds)
Repeating each other’s lines in the not-canteen I have been thinking of you
Peeing in the jar; peeing in the fire place
CAM’s mind palace looks a bit like 221B with the animal head skull of some kind and headphones and some odd combinations of things
Contact to the British government: the prime minister or a minister who owes him a favor in TGG
Having a connection to an inquiry with 12 judges CAM at the beginning of TLV and Sherlock in Many Happy Returns Sherlock being a member of the jury when CAM is what? A witness?
The whole world is wet to my touch (Mycroft: I am living in a world of goldfish) Sherlock can see through anything and anyone in seconds
Sherlock implies that CAM is Mycroft’s business. Mycroft implies that Sherlock could be his business in ASiP
CAM: Sorry, you were probably talking. CAM in 221 B Sherlock not listening to people.
SH: People were talking. None of them me. Must have filtered.
SH: I have an international reputation
CAM. I have interests all over the world
SH and CAM are known for their power to manipulate people.

March 31, 2014 9:38 am  #2

Re: SH and CAM: Similarities

Wow, I had not expected so many similarities apart from the mind palace. I agree in many points although I think that the disrespect for boundaries is handled in a very different way - with CAM it always is repellent while I cannot remember Sherlock ever doing something like that. 

As for your question: I think this is again a bit "on the side of the angels but being not one of them". Sherlock does indeed manipulate people like Janine but he usually does it for a good purpose - in this case, helping Lady Smallwood and her husband. 
And Sherlock is defensive of people that are different, people like himself and some of those near to him. Just think of the pressure points. Sherlock would never use Mrs Hudson's consumption of marihuana against her and he tries to protect Mary who is John's pressure point. He steps in to help where CAM chooses to threaten. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 31, 2014 9:53 am  #3

Sherlock uses John's fear of being alone against him when he threatens him to send him away to Baskerville on his own. Just to manipulate John to pass him the cigarettes.

March 31, 2014 9:54 am  #4

CAM′s blackmail in its essence is a really cowardly and lowly deed, unworthy of man and Sherlock despices this. Sherlock can be unpleasant and rude sometimes, but he is courageous and straightforward, very manly and gallant in his behaviour and he would never ever allow himself to sink to CAM′s level, even if there are some similarities between them.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 31, 2014 10:16 am  #5

From a psychological point of view one might say that you hate things in another person that you don't like in yourself either.

March 31, 2014 10:35 am  #6

As for Hounds: I agree. Sherlock's behaviour towards John is highly questionable. But in the end he manages to solve the case and help Henry by finally showing him what has been torturing him nearly all his life. 
CAM on the other hand uses his methods solely for making profit and gaining influence on international politics. 
We also had this discussion with regard to Mary. Sometimes Sherlock's methods may be similar to those of the baddies, but his ends are different. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 31, 2014 10:35 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 31, 2014 3:30 pm  #7

Well, for me the truly distressing similarity runs between CAM and Mycroft, Sherlock - CAM affinities don't go beyond superficial ones.

March 31, 2014 5:34 pm  #8

Yes, there is something strange about their relationship. Does he have leverage on Mycroft beyond Sherlock as a pressure point? Why does he warn Sherlock off from his investigations? And what about the whole Appledore plan?
We can open a new thread if this is too OT. 

April 1, 2014 1:53 pm  #9

miriel68 wrote:

Well, for me the truly distressing similarity runs between CAM and Mycroft, Sherlock - CAM affinities don't go beyond superficial ones.

I agree.

Concerning Sherlock villains, it is heavily implied in the story that Sherlock is a bit similar to Moriarty and that he feels an uneasy fascination with Moriarty as a result. In the depths of his Mind Palace Sherlock has Moriarty′s image, bound and chained, locked in a padded room, as a reminder of his own criminal tendencies that are kept in check by his strong will. As an audience, we are constantly aware of something disturbing that bounds those two geniuses together.

No such thing exist between Sherlock and CAM. Few similarities aside, there is no affinity between them – when on screen, they are like two polar opposites and nothing really connects them.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 1, 2014 4:20 pm  #10

I think we prefer not to think how "dark" is Mycroft, because well, he is S. brother and cares for him. But he is deeply cynical, just as CAM, while Sherlock is quite opposite - he is a "romantic" who fights the dragons.

April 6, 2014 1:35 am  #11

And don't forget Irene. I don't know how much sexual attraction Sherlock was feeling but he certainly didn't show the revulsion toward her that he did toward CAM (there was some suggestion he had to fight hard to not let her seduce him), yet she had a rather similar M.O. to CAM - and rather similar motivation, in that she was all about power.

Also, I didn't think CAM's shooting was actually much of a stretch beyond other things Sherlock, John, and Mycroft have done (or had ordered), and yet it was treated as some big crossing of a line.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (April 6, 2014 1:35 am)

April 6, 2014 6:50 am  #12

CAM was about power. Irene was about protection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 30, 2014 11:32 am  #13

I've been thinking about this lately.

When Sherlock, in HLV, expresses his hatred for Magnussen (in his Christmas conversation with Mycroft outside their parents' house), he says he hates him "because he attacks people that are different and preys on their secrets". And the way he says it and the way we all love him anyway, of course we feel that that's a knight in shining armour speaking up in defence of all the defenceless and innocent.

But then isn't that exactly what Sherlock does himself, or used to do?

The similarity really doesn't stop at "both manipulate people for their own ends". I really feel that while Magnussen's ends are always despicable (gaining power and political influence, making money from his papers) and include a great deal of perverse voyeurism on his own part, too, Sherlock's ends are not always so much purer.

It's part of the attraction of Sherlock as a character that he believes to a shocking extent that the ends justify the means. Like drugging John in THOB to test the effect of the drug; like drugging his entire family (and pregnant Mary!) to get away from the Holmes' house in HLV.

Usually the ends are noble, so we readily forgive him. But they aren't always. Sometimes he just does it because he's lazy or because he wants to look smart. And it's particularly the really below-the-belt comments, the really insufferable intrusions into people's privacy, that tend to have no noble end in view at all.

Couldn't he have got into the Lauriston Gardens house in ASIP without publicly humiliating both Anderson and Sally with his way-below-the-belt comments about their affair?

Couldn't he just have shut up about Molly dressing up for the Christmas party in ASIB?

Couldn't he have got into the engagement restaurant in TEH without intruding on the waiter's pregnant wife's privacy by commenting on the state of her labour?

None of this was justified in terms of helping solve a crime or save a life.

And I find it slightly disturbing how much fun he thinks it is. Is that so much better than Magnussen taking disgusting pleasure in knowing people's most intimate secrets? If this isn't prying on people and preying on their secrets for your own satisfaction, what is?

So when Sherlock expresses his disgust at that sort of thing in HLV, is he aware of the fact that he does it himself at times? Or has he consciously decided to stop doing that sort of thing, and instead starts to actively fight his former tendency when he sees it in other people? (As converts often do...) Or is it a big inconsistency in his character?

Last edited by La Jolie (August 30, 2014 11:37 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 30, 2014 1:58 pm  #14

I wondered about the "people who are different" comment, because I'm not sure it's exactly true (of Magnusson).  We're not given enough examples, but he seems to work by finding people's weak spots and blackmailing them, but they don't need to be "different" people.  In fact, they're most likely to be people in some position of power (like Lady Smallwood).    Yes, the people we see him trying to get at (Mycroft, Sherlock, John, Mary, Janine, etc.) are all different their way, but that's not why he's getting at them. 

And I'm not sure I've seen Sherlock as on a crusade to protect "people who are different" either.  People in general, yes. 

Couldn't he have got into the Lauriston Gardens house in ASIP without publicly humiliating both Anderson and Sally with his way-below-the-belt comments about their affair?

Yes, I thought that was pretty bad.  What Sally says about him is worse, though.  I think Sally has some justification (she really believes he's dangerous), whereas Sherlock is being vindictive.  Funnily enough, I find it hard to believe.  I don't see the chemistry between Sally and Anderson.  But I suppose if you're working long hours and seeing awful things, you might sometimes fulfil a need without waiting for chemistry .  Anderson could be described as "different" I suppose, but I don't know about Sally.  I

Couldn't he just have shut up about Molly dressing up for the Christmas party in ASIB?

I think there was no intention to hurt her there.  He was just showing off.  He looks contrite when he realises his mistake.  It might have been a little tactless if the present hadn't been for Sherlock but probably not hurtful (Molly might have been quite happy for people to know she was going on a date).

Couldn't he have got into the engagement restaurant in TEH without intruding on the waiter's pregnant wife's privacy by commenting on the state of her labour?

I didn't think that was too bad either.  In fact it might be a little helpful, in that the guy only checks his phone after Sherlock tells him about the contractions.

August 31, 2014 8:06 pm  #15

Be wrote:

Sherlock uses John's fear of being alone against him when he threatens him to send him away to Baskerville on his own. Just to manipulate John to pass him the cigarettes.

John has a fear of being alone??? Since when?

Board footera