BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2012 5:00 pm  #121

Re: Things we will never know but are curious about

sherlockskitty wrote:

Ok  in  TRF   Molly says to Sherlock---,  "You look sad,  when you think he can't see you."    Who was she talking about?

I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that she was talking about John...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 14, 2012 5:16 pm  #122

sherlockskitty wrote:

Ok  in  TRF   Molly says to Sherlock---,  "You look sad,  when you think he can't see you."    Who was she talking about?

She was talking about John, I believe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 14, 2012 5:28 pm  #123

Molly means that Sherlock looks sad when he thinks John can't see him.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 14, 2012 8:18 pm  #124

hmmmm...I  thought she might have meant Mycroft.   thanks everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 15, 2012 3:04 am  #125

Most definitely John.  The camera lets us see that Molly's eyes turn toward John when she says "when he can't see you".  Sherlock is caught unaware that she has been perceptive enough to observed something so private about him.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 15, 2012 3:26 am  #126

Here's something I'm curious about but hopefully will learn because of the helpful people here.  I've only seen the chopped up Masterpiece versions of the shows.  In Hound I'm curious if something was cut out between the time Sherlock called Mycroft with his "Hello brother dear.....how are you?" line and when we see him and John being let directly through the Baskerville gate onto the base.  Was there some kind of exchange between them left out of our American version?  I'm curious why Mycroft would allow his loose-cannon brother access back onto the base.  What did Sherlock say to convince him?

June 15, 2012 4:21 am  #127

KeepersPrice wrote:

What did Sherlock say to convince him?

"Sorry I nicked all your Smurfs. Will you please forgive me?"

Oh, wait, wrong thread...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 15, 2012 5:38 am  #128

KeepersPrice wrote:

Here's something I'm curious about but hopefully will learn because of the helpful people here.  I've only seen the chopped up Masterpiece versions of the shows.  In Hound I'm curious if something was cut out between the time Sherlock called Mycroft with his "Hello brother dear.....how are you?" line and when we see him and John being let directly through the Baskerville gate onto the base.  Was there some kind of exchange between them left out of our American version?  I'm curious why Mycroft would allow his loose-cannon brother access back onto the base.  What did Sherlock say to convince him?

I  have the DVD's, (well worth buying)  and  yes,  some scenes were shut out.    Here is a   general  dialoque of what you SHOULD  have seen  during those times you specified;---- Also,  there was no further convo between Sherlock and Mycroft after that line--  My  guess is that Mycroft called Major Barrymore himself, and ordered him to comply with Sherlock's request.   

Hello, brother, dear. How ARE you?

(guard at gate) Afternoon, sir.    Can you turn the engine off?   Thank you.

(sherlock to John while in car)  I need to see Major Barrymore  as soon as we get inside.

(John) Right.

(sherlock)  Which means you'll have to  start the search for the hound.

(john)   OK.

(sherlock)    In the labs.    Stapleton's first.    It could be dangerous.    (They are allowed to go through,  and then Sherlock meets up with Major Barrymore while John goes off into the labs) 

(Major Barrymore)   Oh, you know I'd love to(!)    I'd love to give you unlimited
access to this place.

(Sherlock)   Why not?     It's a simple enough request, Major.

(Barrymore)    I've never heard of anything so bizarre.

Sherlock)  You're to give me 24 hours, it's what  I negotiated,

(Barrymore) not a second more.    I may have to comply with this order, but I don't have to like it.     I don't know what the hell you  expect to find here, anyway.

(sherlock)   Perhaps the truth.

(barrymore)      About what?   Oh, I see.    The big coat should have told me.    You're one of the conspiracy lot,
aren't you?    Well, then, go ahead, seek them out,    the monsters, the death rays,   the aliens.

(sherlock)    Have you got any of those?     Oh, just wondering.     (he smirks at Barrymore)   

(barrymore)     A couple.   Crash landed here in the '60s.    We call them Abbott and Costello   Good luck, Mr Holmes.

There you go!!     

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 15, 2012 5:41 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 16, 2012 12:57 am  #129

Thank you so much Sherlockkitty for posting that whole bit.  The missing dialogue explains a lot. It doesn't quite tell me why Mycroft decided Sherlock should be allowed back on base or why Sherlock was able to negotiate 24 hours from him (some unknown favor owed perhaps, or Mycroft curious himself what's going on there) but it does explain why poor John the Lab Rat came to be wondering around on his own.  I appreciate your help.  I've got to get the full feast versions of the DVD's!

June 16, 2012 5:23 am  #130

you can watch th  e  uncut dvds online.   I  know of several sites.   you  want me to PM  you those links?   

Sometimes the writers cannot or will not  put everything into a 90 minute show,  so they like to leave us guessing.  My  idea  is that sherlock told mycroft he thought it was a drug, and the drug was in the sugar,  which he'd given to John that morning  (when Lestrade was questioning the shop owners about the meat).   Mycroft may have owed his little brother a favor.  Mycroft may have just figured out the other parts himself, since he's seven years smarter.  So,  he arranged the lab usage.      that's what I think.

Darn it,  why do I always think of somerthing else to say  after I've posted?    Here's my  question---With the money  Sherlock gets from his clients who pay him, why doesn't he have a car of his own?    Seems to me that cabs are VERY expensive.    thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 16, 2012 5:26 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 16, 2012 5:50 am  #131

As we saw, if he needs a car he can get one.
Why have a car that could be targeted? It's also environmentally better that way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 6:10 am  #132

sherlockskitty wrote:

Darn it,  why do I always think of somerthing else to say  after I've posted?    Here's my  question---With the money  Sherlock gets from his clients who pay him, why doesn't he have a car of his own?    Seems to me that cabs are VERY expensive.    thoughts, anyone?

Driving around London in a car? After all Sherlock isn't THAT mad.
And: Sherlock getting around by cab is canon.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 16, 2012 7:49 am  #133

It is definitely canon with him driving around in a cab, plus he does occasionally take a horse and carriage/trap etc. when he needs to. Occasionally they travel by train, we haven't seen that in the series so far but I think we will in future.

As for driving around London in a car of his own? As tobe says he isn't insane! Where would he park it overnight? Where would he park it when he was on an investigation and...most importantly...who would pay the congestion charge? For the amount of time that he needs a car it is definitely better, and cheaper, to take a cab. I suppose he could go by bus (unlikely!) or by tube (which he did after harpooning the pig).

He does drive that nice black Range Rover in Hounds though.

In real life Benedict drives a motorbike around town.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 16, 2012 9:10 am  #134

Wow, a car in London...total nightmare....and yes, cabs are canon.

I've often wondered about their journey to Dartmoor. They obviously got the train there, but then where did they get the vehicle from?

I think Mycroft probably allowed Sherlock access because he understands his little brother does actually do some good by investigating all these little problems and mysteries, and that if Sherlock believed there was something worth investigating in there then he was probably right. He's had enough experience with him in the past to cut him some slack in these matters.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 17, 2012 4:33 am  #135

sherlockskitty wrote:

you can watch th  e  uncut dvds online.   I  know of several sites.   you  want me to PM  you those links?   

Sometimes the writers cannot or will not  put everything into a 90 minute show,  so they like to leave us guessing.  My  idea  is that sherlock told mycroft he thought it was a drug, and the drug was in the sugar,  which he'd given to John that morning  (when Lestrade was questioning the shop owners about the meat).   Mycroft may have owed his little brother a favor.  Mycroft may have just figured out the other parts himself, since he's seven years smarter.  So,  he arranged the lab usage.      that's what I think.

I was annoyed when I found out that our PBS in the US version had cut some things out, but figured I had gotten it all on the season 2 DVD. You mean there's more somewhere else? Is there a reason you can't just share the links with all of us and have to PM them instead?
NOTE: But I still love PBS and I am very grateful that they bring us Sherlock and other great shows.

Lots of people in big cities don't own cars. Parking is very difficult to find and very expensive. When my close relative lived in New York City, she had to park her car at a friend's in New Jersey. And even when I lived near NYC myself, I never drove in. I always took the commuter train and then walked or cabbed around town. It was actually much faster and easier.

June 17, 2012 4:36 am  #136

I believe the DVDs are full versions of everything.
It was only the TV showings that had cus to them.

Please let me know anyone , if this is wrong. But I am sure I have read Moffat saying the DVDs have it all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 17, 2012 3:41 pm  #137

I bought both series' DVDs from Amazon (their US website).  When they arrived, they had stickers on them that said "As seen on PBS" so I called Amazon to find out if they were the uncut versions.  The customer service rep checked and said yes but when I asked, he also said I could return them if they weren't what I wanted, even if I'd already opened them.  So, with trepidation, I opened and watched.  I couldn't tell what the additional scenes in Series 1 were--so much for my observational skills.  However, it was very obvious that Series 2 contained the uncut versions of each episode.  So I am assuming that Series 1 is also uncut.  It's well worth buying the DVDs!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 17, 2012 4:39 pm  #138

Sorry for picking up a question from page 1 of this thread, but I am quite curious about the boy in the pool. We assume that Moriarty poisoned him, because of some insult or other. But why did he keep his shoes?
Even for a highly intelligent psychopath (teenager?) it seems a bit far fetched that he would steal the shoes from the locker just to find out if anyone would notice, let alone keep them for 20 years in case they might come in handy one day.
Any ideas?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

June 17, 2012 4:55 pm  #139

hypergreenfrog wrote:

Sorry for picking up a question from page 1 of this thread, but I am quite curious about the boy in the pool. We assume that Moriarty poisoned him, because of some insult or other. But why did he keep his shoes?
Even for a highly intelligent psychopath (teenager?) it seems a bit far fetched that he would steal the shoes from the locker just to find out if anyone would notice, let alone keep them for 20 years in case they might come in handy one day.
Any ideas?

I believe he kept the shoes because there was evidence in them that Carl had been poisoned. That's why Sherlock finally finds out the boy was killed and did not just drown. 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 17, 2012 5:30 pm  #140

It is possible that the shoes/ trainers were to do with the insult for which Moriarty killed Carl Powers. Perhaps Carl had laughed at his footwear. They were kept as some kind of trophy, not that an unusual thing to do for a psychopathic killer.

Board footera