BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2012 2:11 am  #21

Re: Things we will never know but are curious about

He wanted a piece of gum.
Also illustrates his sleazy side quite well, just gives a bit more to dislike about him.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 3, 2012 12:13 pm  #22

Something I'd like to know is:
Why are Sherlock and John still handcuffed when Kitty Riley enters her flat?
What have they been doing in the dark while waiting for her to arrive? Just drumming their fingers onto their respective knees? (Fortunatly they haven’t been in darkened swimming pool after all…!  )
One might assume that if they were able to break in Kitty’s flat by means of a picklock or something they also could have managed to get rid of their handcuffs!
Hmmm…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 3, 2012 12:51 pm  #23

Well time would have been of the utmost importance to get somewhere out of sight, such as Kitty's dark apartment.
They picked the lock in a lighted hallway.
Once inside, they sat quietly in the dark so that she did not suspect they would be in there. They would not have waited long, the night had been filled with much action as it was, so it was getting late. Kitty is a lowly reporter, not as if she'd need to be working very late in the night.
Have you ever picked a lock? Not easy in the dark and awkward when you are attached to another person. Much easier to wait until the lights are on.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 3, 2012 12:56 pm  #24

There was so much time and they have mobile phones, haven't they? I'd use the light from the phone screen as a torch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 3, 2012 1:07 pm  #25

We cannot say for certain how much time there was. They had to get there first, pick the lock and get inside. Now they have just escaped custody, ran around a few streets etc and ran in front of a bus. Kitty is a reporter with a more than passing interest in what Sherlock is doing, wouldn't you agree?  I am sure that had she known Sherlock was arrested and then went 'on the run', she wouldn't be toddling off home for the evening; she would have been out  and about trying to get the dirt on this latest development.
But she wasn't. She too has a mobile and would have been alerted asap. But the story hasn't got to the press yet, so not very much time at all had passed between their escape and her arrival at her flat. So I would be quite happy in saying, they hadn't had time to pick the lock on the handcuffs yet.
Using a phone would still be a light source that could have been seen from outside. It is not as if they knew the layout of the apartment, so hard to tell what can be seen from outside.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 3, 2012 1:33 pm  #26

kazza474 wrote:

We cannot say for certain how much time there was. They had to get there first, pick the lock and get inside. Now they have just escaped custody, ran around a few streets etc and ran in front of a bus. Kitty is a reporter with a more than passing interest in what Sherlock is doing, wouldn't you agree?  I am sure that had she known Sherlock was arrested and then went 'on the run', she wouldn't be toddling off home for the evening; she would have been out  and about trying to get the dirt on this latest development.
But she wasn't. She too has a mobile and would have been alerted asap. But the story hasn't got to the press yet, so not very much time at all had passed between their escape and her arrival at her flat. So I would be quite happy in saying, they hadn't had time to pick the lock on the handcuffs yet.
Using a phone would still be a light source that could have been seen from outside. It is not as if they knew the layout of the apartment, so hard to tell what can be seen from outside.

Very clever deductions - Sherlock would be proud!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 3, 2012 1:37 pm  #27

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 7:36 am  #28

In Study in Pink, would the next victim of the taxi driver have been the American tourist?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 5, 2012 7:53 am  #29

No.
The other victims were 'lost' or 'late' or in some way willing to put their fate in the hands of a cabbie during a few moments when they needed their help.
The tourist was simply a straightforward fare.
Businessman was running late, the young guys was stuck in the rain, the lady in pink was wet & bedraggled and wanting to get to a hotel fast.
'Jeff' preyed on those who reached out to a stranger for help in some way.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 8:39 am  #30

What about the woman at the party. Why did she get a cab?

March 5, 2012 8:46 am  #31

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I knew there was another one. Because her 'minders' took her keys from her so she couldn't drive.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 8:54 am  #32

Oh yeah, cause she was drunk right? So we can assume the cabbie picks on vulnerable and/or desperate people?

March 5, 2012 9:10 am  #33

I think so. That was his reasoning in the unaired pilot and I think it carries on in this version also.
To him, they are 'stupid/weak' so the perfect targets and expendable.
Someone in a strong point in their life would not be as vulnerable.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 9:14 am  #34

That's true, and they might be in a better position to notice his gun was just a cigarette lighter.

March 5, 2012 9:21 am  #35

That was so corny; but funny.

It made me think, I've never laid eyes on a real gun, as old as I am! I have no interest in ever doing so. So I doubt I would know a real one from a fake one anyway!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 10:27 am  #36

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I think her friends took her car keys because she had been drinking too much. So, if she wanted to go anywhere, she had to take a cab o ask someone for a ride.

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 5, 2012 11:39 am  #37

A tourist on their own would be quite vunerable though. They wouldn't know the city, hence the cabbie could conveniently wait for a while at the address Sherlock, via John, had texted him All the people were on their own. The business man, the teenager, the politician, the lady in pink.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 5, 2012 11:48 am  #38

Yes but the tourist wasn't feeling vulnerable. All the others had unexpected hazards pop up and they needed to sope with them as best they can.
He was an average everyday tourist, had it been otherwise he would have said something in that line to Sherlock once he thought they were police.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 5, 2012 11:58 am  #39

That's true. Just testing an hypothesis to destruction, me. Although the tourist & cab did go straight to a uniformed police officer after this incident so it would be unlikely that the cabbie, if he had an intent to play the game with the tourist would have cancelled his plans after this, especially as he recognised Sherlock.

March 6, 2012 12:16 am  #40

I think the fact that he did report Sherlock & John to the police proves that the tourist wasn't stupid - he wasn't taken in by their act and thought they were behaving suspiciously enough to report them...so he wouldn't be good prey for the cabbie either.

Also, if he did the same trick to every fare he picked up, then presumably he would have killed a lot more than 4, unless he was just a real slacker who couldn't be bothered picking up fares.

Board footera