BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2015 4:05 pm  #1461

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

Ivy wrote:

Good to know it was posted here, I was wondering why there isn't a posting in the "CBE" thread yet.
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=6383

He looked lovely, but I didn't like Sophies outfit and hat. she usually looks lovely too.

Well, I thought both of them were dressed very appropriately.  Sophie's choice of apparel was subdued without being humdrum to me.  The booties matched the black trim of the dress and the pale lilac colour complimented Ben's formal morning suit without drawing attention away from him.  Both of their outfits couldn't have been better IMO.   

Someone, who goes by the name of "Suez_BC_Canalplus", on IMDb made the most articulate comment about their appearances at the investiture IMO -

"... he looks immaculate and Sophie looking soignée".  I love the use of the term "soignée"!  So absolutely correct!  Although I would have subsituted "debonair" to describe BC instead of immaculate (although there is nothing incorrect in saying he looked immaculate, especially if used in the way that means impeccably flawless). 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

November 10, 2015 4:14 pm  #1462

Sorry, Ivy, I completely forgot we had a CBE thread. And I thought his political thoughts were well placed in here, too. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 10, 2015 4:19 pm  #1463

Need to read and watch all this when I am at home. But I am proud of him anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 10, 2015 4:58 pm  #1464

I am proud that Benedict's acting talent is now being recognised.
Of course this award is really for his charity work and that that is even better.
But best of all is his little interview about raising awareness for the Syrian crisis.
Shame he had to be at the palace to do it.
I am republican and personally would never accept any honour from any monarch, but Benedict is of that class.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2015 5:53 pm  #1465

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, Ivy, I completely forgot we had a CBE thread. And I thought his political thoughts were well placed in here, too. 

Don't be sorry, I was just wondering and wanted to post them there and then I thought maybe I visit the "...lovely..." and "favourite pics" threads first  Sometimes one is so excited to post pics or other stuff, there is no time to check if there's already a thread. And I sometimes even don't know where to post stuff because there are is more than one threads possible.

besleybean wrote:

I am republican and personally would never accept any honour from any monarch,

I agree.

Last edited by Ivy (November 10, 2015 7:39 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 10, 2015 5:57 pm  #1466

Oh that´s brillant, Congratulations Benedict! It´s a pleasure to see him honored and acknowledged like that, and hearing his thoughts on the Syrian crisis highlights once more what a fine, generous and kind-hearted individual he is.  Sophie and him looked absolutely stunning and lovely together, the pictures just made my evening.

November 10, 2015 6:01 pm  #1467

LOL  I guess that was everyone first thought today

----------

November 10, 2015 6:14 pm  #1468

So happy and proud on his behalf! Well deserved!

He and Sophie looked stunning.

I hope to get to see the videos soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 10, 2015 7:20 pm  #1469

besleybean wrote:

I am proud that Benedict's acting talent is now being recognised.
Of course this award is really for his charity work and that that is even better.
But best of all is his little interview about raising awareness for the Syrian crisis.
Shame he had to be at the palace to do it.
I am republican and personally would never accept any honour from any monarch, but Benedict is of that class.

"of that class"???  Respectfully, that is a bit harsh, isn't it? 

The only "class" that I think Ben is truly a part of is the type of "class" that it takes to have a wide enough view of the world not to act sanctimonious when someone acknowledges you for work you have done and to accept traditional honours like this with humility and grace, as well as utilise occasions like this to further his passions (be they in promoting the arts or acts of charity).  And that kind of "class" has nothing to do with social stratification.

And I think this honour was also equally given for his contributions in the dramatic arts and not just for his work in charity.  I am glad to see him deservedly recognised in both fields with this CBE.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

November 10, 2015 7:28 pm  #1470

I fully agree, Ah-chie. Well said.

Last edited by SusiGo (November 10, 2015 7:30 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 11, 2015 11:23 am  #1471

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 11, 2015 2:54 pm  #1472

And here is the Cumbercupcake:

----------

November 11, 2015 3:21 pm  #1473

And here is another one

November 11, 2015 8:10 pm  #1474

JP wrote:

And here is another one

Stolen ashtray! Wonderful! 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 11, 2015 8:12 pm  #1475

The conversation between Benedict and the Queen - true, precise rendition:

http://ivyblossom.tumblr.com/post/132979769745/cumberbatch-your-majesty-elizabeth-ii-before-i

November 11, 2015 9:56 pm  #1476

LOL   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 12, 2015 1:35 am  #1477

The Queen is one of us!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 12, 2015 5:03 am  #1478

Lmao!! I knew it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 12, 2015 6:39 am  #1479

Yeah, sadly we don't get to choose our company!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 12, 2015 10:18 am  #1480

LOL, that was hilarious! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera