BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2015 1:25 pm  #1361

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

Wow, that's... random? Not from you, but describing how someone smells?

Not that I would mind that first-hand exerience myself... 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 16, 2015 1:54 pm  #1362

I adore Chris Hardwick and his sense of humor.  GoofyBatch gives me the squees. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2015 2:25 pm  #1363

So, he's moved on from cinnamon then... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 16, 2015 3:04 pm  #1364

I had to google what you meant about B. smelling like cinnamon and found this lovely story

http://wabbitwanderer95.tumblr.com/post/15782615973/meeting-benedict-cumberbatch-the-full-story

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 16, 2015 3:33 pm  #1365

Wow, what a lovely story. To be honest, I do feel a bit sorry for him. Being asked by a teenager what aftershave he wears and if he was naked under the sheet seems a tad personal and awkward. And even though I of course understand her wanting to hug him and sit close to him (I would want the same), it can't be fun having to be that close to strangers as much as he has to when it comes to fans (Being grateful to your fans doesn't mean you are comfortable having strangers in that close proximity).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 16, 2015 3:46 pm  #1366

That was exactly what I was refering to! Thank you for finding the link! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 16, 2015 3:54 pm  #1367

Vhanja wrote:

Wow, what a lovely story. To be honest, I do feel a bit sorry for him. Being asked by a teenager what aftershave he wears and if he was naked under the sheet seems a tad personal and awkward. And even though I of course understand her wanting to hug him and sit close to him (I would want the same), it can't be fun having to be that close to strangers as much as he has to when it comes to fans (Being grateful to your fans doesn't mean you are comfortable having strangers in that close proximity).

I see what you mean but one should keep in mind that this was not an everyday fan encounter. The girl is suffering from a very serious disease and had her wish fulfilled by a charity. So the outing was planned and Benedict could prepare himself for the meeting. I am sure he did not mind being asked curious questions by a teenager with a limited life expectancy. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 16, 2015 5:17 pm  #1368

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

So, he's moved on from cinnamon then... 

I think of John when I think of cinnamon.  

But on a less shallow note, bless Ben for making that wish come true.  He has such a kind and generous heart.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 16, 2015 6:00 pm  #1369

That reminds me of that "Great people about Cumberbatch" post on tumblr
http://moriartysskull.tumblr.com/post/113435657242/hes-mercurial-shear-talent-a-genius-one-of

Here are some of them, for the others see link above

“Hands down, I believe that he’s the most versatile, surprising and charismatic actors of our time.” Christina Bianco, actress

"Even as a 13-year old, he was obviously an outstanding actor - a combination of intuition and intellect. It’s probably once in a lifetime that you find a boy actor as magnificent as this. I don’t think I had to speak or work with him in any way when I was directing him. I felt like I was working with a fellow professional rather than a schoolboy.” Mr. Tyrell, Cumberbatch’s acting teacher in Harrow

“Cumberbatch is a remarkable actor. He can quietly project the inner turmoil that more animated actors can only mimic.” Matthew Gilbert, TV critic

“He’s a genius. There are certain actors who have the ability to take a line of dialogue and add a ring to it that you didn’t even know you put into the dialogue, into the line. And he’s one of those really brilliant actors. Just listening to him talk…you could enjoy him reading the phone book.(…) And he’s an incredibly formidable presence. He’s amazing.” Alex Kurtzman, screenwriter

“I would like to officialy declare my love for Benedict Cumberbatch. Yes, that’s right. I’m in love with him.” Paul Feig, director

“I think he’ll be one of the guys who lasts, that’s my take. It’s what George [Clooney] said to me ten years ago: If you can pull off ten years in this business, then you’ve done something, and we both kind of agreed that that was kind of the benchmark. And I think [Cumberbatch] is of the new crop.” Matt Damon, actor

“Benedict Cumberbatch is truly one of the greatest actors I’ve ever seen. And my favorite thing about him in this movie is that instead of his bad guy being adorned and wearing some crazy mask and costume and hair… he is just a simple man standing in a black shirt and black pants, just a common man… and his performance is so powerful in it’s simplicity… and that to me was an incredibly exciting thing to see: how little he needed to be that powerful.” JJ Abrams, director

@Paul Feig: welcome to the club 

Last edited by Ivy (April 16, 2015 6:01 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

June 30, 2015 9:52 am  #1370

Very quiet in here. 

In another thread we spoke about there being no news and news coming at the wrong moment. I remember last summer. I was sitting in a Berlin restaurant and my phone battery was nearly empty and then, just then, they released the first TIG trailer. All in here getting excited about it and I had to wait until the evening when I could get to my laptop. 
But then I could finally watch it and still have fond memories of sitting on a hot summer evening on a balcony and my husband just hearing the sound of the trailer and asking: "Is that Frankenstein?" 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 30, 2015 9:59 am  #1371

Really, he thought it was "Frankenstein"...? Because of Benedict's voice? 
I seem to remember a similar occasion (and I know, how could I forget..?) with one of the trailers for S3... or was it that first BBC-drama-trailer with those two short moments from Sherlock in it? I'm not sure, but I know that I wasn't able to watch it for some reason and saying to my boyfriend "That's typical, finally something's happening and I can't see it!". The horror! 

But I remember that when I was on holiday in Berlin last year in April I was pretty much the first one among the German fans who caught the trailer for "Sherlock" on German television. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 30, 2015 10:01 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 30, 2015 10:01 am  #1372

Yes, he could not see the monitor. I was quite proud of him. 

At least I will be home on 9 July when we maybe get a tiny teaser for the special. And of course it is silly but the feeling that "everyone" else can watch something and you are the only one left out, is quite annoying. 

June 30, 2015 10:03 am  #1373

We will get a teaser for the Special next week...???????? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 30, 2015 10:08 am  #1374

I read some rumours. Steven, Sue, and Rupert will be at SDCC. I cannot imagine that they would go there without anything to offer. And now we will have to move thread again. 

June 30, 2015 10:12 am  #1375

Ah, I understand. Hopefully they won't do it like last time, when we only got some audio and they wanted it to be kept top secret. Remember?

June 30, 2015 10:14 am  #1376

Oh, yes, the "proposal scene". Of course I could not resist and read the reports. 

June 30, 2015 10:20 am  #1377

Well, I think that for a tiny moment there even was something on YT... but I 'only' listened to the audio.

June 30, 2015 12:12 pm  #1378

In my house it's got to the point where my kids can recognise Benedict's voice from whatever I happen to be watching or listening to, even when they can't see him on a screen But it's not really a surprise, with a voice like that, is it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 30, 2015 1:04 pm  #1379

SusiGo wrote:

I read some rumours. Steven, Sue, and Rupert will be at SDCC. I cannot imagine that they would go there without anything to offer. And now we will have to move thread again. 

I agree.  If they are going to do Comic Con they have GOT to give us something!

ANYTHING!   *sob*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 30, 2015 1:18 pm  #1380

ukaunz wrote:

In my house it's got to the point where my kids can recognise Benedict's voice from whatever I happen to be watching or listening to, even when they can't see him on a screen But it's not really a surprise, with a voice like that, is it?

I wonder why everybody is mentioning his voice. What's so special about it?

Just kidding...
Without THE voice I wouldn't be here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera