BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2015 1:31 pm  #1261

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

ukaunz wrote:

And then I made the mistake of reading some of the horrible comments and gossip about him on some websites. I just got this depressed, disillusioned feeling, but I kept looking and reading.

You´ve made a mistake to paying any attention to these hateful crazies blogs. They are created by people that are not just sinister, but bat-shit insane, so much so that it borders on criminal offence of threating behaviour. No sane perosn would ever write shit like this on hearing about the two strangers marriage:

http://thereversethings.tumblr.com/image/111095037038

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/news/a36561/benedict-cumberbatch-megafan-has-epic-meltdown-over-wedding-news/?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1440_145140572

I´m shuddering by the thought that one of these sickoes would be actually present in the one room with Benedict when he will be portraying Hamlet at the stage of Barbican. They are obviously dangerous to him (and to themselves also) and have the world of objective reality mixed up with their delusions.

Benedict´s true nature is evident in his behaviour in the outtakes from his work, his behaviour in certain dire situations (for example, his refusal to actually prosecute a similar sicko-stalker who spied on him in his own home and tweeted his every move, because she was too young) and his general politeness and pacifist nature. Nothing indicates that he is anything but a good-hearted, quite down to earth, pleasant man, wonderfully gifted in arts. But he is just a human being with an actual flaws of human being. If you can´t accept that and demand an absolute perfection, then no, he is not "worthy" of your obsession and never will be. Because he will forever remain normal human and for normal humans the achievement of perfection is impossible. Also, if you put people on too high a pedestal there´s only one way for them to move from that place - by falling down.

Centering on his art, which is always delightful, and on things that he actually does (not that are written about him) would help you find the balance, IMHO.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 16, 2015 1:42 pm  #1262

Very good post, nakahara.

I think you raise a good point in general about putting him on a pedastal. Yes, he is gifted, charming, nice, beautiful and seems all-around a lovely human being. But he is human, he has his flaws. If we start losing perspective of that, then we (and him in our eyes) will crash spectaculary at the sight of any kind of human flaw he is bound to have. And that won't be healthy for us nor will it be fair towards him.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 16, 2015 1:44 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 16, 2015 1:44 pm  #1263

Thank you for this post, nakahara, well said and true. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 16, 2015 1:44 pm  #1264

ukaunz, don't worry too much. Especially if your worries started with anything connected to Benny’s private life. It is something we know very little of. All we can do is admire (or not) how he presents himself in interviews and on the red carpet, and most importantly of all, his work. Everything else will probably always be 70% speculation and 30% truth, and it can be very hard to tell which is which.
Maybe it helps if you limit yourself to not more than one Benny-film/show/interview a day. If your feelings are just overexposure it should get better again. If not, maybe Benny is just a good actor to you, but not something that you have to commit a lot of your time and energy to. In the end, that might even be the healthier option, if I think about how much time I spend on this forum alone

Btw, I fear many of us have their hormones affected by Mr. Cumberbatch

nakahara, very good post, though those links are very worrying. I will never understand how someone thinks it is ok to talk in that kind of way about another human being. And why? Because he got married?

edit, because I am a slow wirter: nakahara, very good post, though those links are very worrying. I will never understand how someone thinks it is ok to talk in that kind of way about another human being. And why? Because he got married? Once more I’m glad that I limit my fan activities mainly to this forum. Thanks to all of you for being so respectful towards Ben and one another.

Last edited by Lola Red (February 16, 2015 1:57 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 16, 2015 1:52 pm  #1265

just coming back about the "posh" subject. it's obvious to me that an actor who plays Sherlock Holmes must be in a way a bit "posh looking". I mean, look at J.Brett, he did'nt exactly look like a working class guy ;)

I don't know if B.Cumberbatch himself is posh and i dont really ponder on it ( my only thougt about this,  when i saw the pictures was that his wife definitly does looks posh... my god, even Kate Middleton seems relaxed, compared to her  )

February 16, 2015 2:06 pm  #1266

Mod's note: Please let us not speculate on the possible character of Sophie Hunter or compare her to other people. We respect Benedict on this board and the same should apply to his wife. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 16, 2015 2:25 pm  #1267

nakahara wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

And then I made the mistake of reading some of the horrible comments and gossip about him on some websites. I just got this depressed, disillusioned feeling, but I kept looking and reading.

You´ve made a mistake to paying any attention to these hateful crazies blogs. They are created by people that are not just sinister, but bat-shit insane, so much so that it borders on criminal offence of threating behaviour. No sane perosn would ever write shit like this on hearing about the two strangers marriage:

OMG, it's the first time I have read one of those hate posts.

And surely the last time too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 16, 2015 2:53 pm  #1268

And to return us to the topic of this thread, isn't Ben lovely!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 16, 2015 3:47 pm  #1269

Newlyweds at the Heathrow. Quite lovely, indeed.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 16, 2015 3:54 pm  #1270

Lovely. And what a funny coat. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 16, 2015 3:54 pm)

February 16, 2015 4:01 pm  #1271

Awww, look how she's leaning in toward him! There's body language for you.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 16, 2015 4:27 pm  #1272

Awh! That really is body language... she feels so at ease with him. Bless them!

I'm so glad they found each other 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 16, 2015 4:48 pm  #1273

Blue is beautiful.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 16, 2015 5:59 pm  #1274

It suits Sophie like it suits Ben... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 16, 2015 6:59 pm  #1275

I read that yesterday, too. No words for that.
Just to say, thereversethings.tumblr.com is a sane person like we are, her blog is in defence of Ben. She just posted a screenshot of a very deranged person.

nakahara wrote:

Newlyweds at the Heathrow. Quite lovely, indeed. 

That's ring on this hand, isn't it?!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 16, 2015 8:00 pm  #1276

You managed to actually look at his hand? Wow...I was looking at an entirely different part....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 16, 2015 8:07 pm  #1277

Tight jeans, right?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 16, 2015 8:09 pm  #1278

I don't understand what you mean, Boss ... How can you look at his eyes? He is wearing sun glasses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 16, 2015 8:17 pm  #1279

But I know... it was so hard to take my eyes off of his shoes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 16, 2015 9:24 pm  #1280

Thank you Nakahara, Vhanja and Lola Red. I think I'll just hang around in this forum where the fans are sane, and nice  I like that it is moderated so that people can't say such evil stuff about people they don't even know!

I've never really obsessed about anyone since I was at Uni (I was mad for David Duchovny and The X Files), and the Internet was very different back in 1995. No Twitter for one! I was mostly just cutting pictures out of magazines in between episodes. So I guess all this is new and strange to me.

But yes... Back to the lovely Ben... He really is wonderful in the interviews I've watched on YouTube, especially the more serious ones where they don't tease him about his name or ask him stupid questions (although I love his dignified responses even to those). He is so passionate about acting. I wish I had the chance to see him on stage in a production like Frankenstein!

As for those photos... He does fill out those jeans nicely...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera