BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2014 6:25 pm  #1081

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

SusiGo wrote:

Here is a nice article about season 3 and some ideas of Benedict's about his character but the most lovely thing is how he cares about his fans:

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/04/361217134/sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-shows-last-season-really-freudian?utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=news&utm_source=dlvr.it

I listened to it...   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 4, 2014 8:15 pm  #1082

I needed this interview.

I love how deeply he goes into his character, that is really why I'm a fan! He's so very talented!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

November 4, 2014 9:35 pm  #1083

I´m not sure about the interview to be honest.. I´d be interested to know if the sentence that Sherlock´s unique personality is revealed when he fires the shot at Magnussen is a direct quote from Benedict or made up by the interviewer.. because judging his personality by this one extreme moment seems a bit.. odd to me. 

November 4, 2014 9:42 pm  #1084

Except to say he'd kill to protect those he loves,.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2014 9:50 pm  #1085

Yes, but it didn´t sound as appreciative as this.. 

".. his unique personality, revealed in a climactic scene with the episode's villain that ends with a the detective declaring himself "a high functioning sociopath" before letting off a gunshot. "What he's resorting to at the end is violence," Cumberbatch says "It's the weakest, weakest thing to do. So, to me, I think that exposes more about Sherlock ... I think you get under the skin of every character with this last season ... This is a really Freudian drama."

November 4, 2014 9:53 pm  #1086

So Benedict is interested in the psychology of a character...excellent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 4, 2014 10:14 pm  #1087

Yes, it´s excellent.. but I feel it´s a bit unlucky to say Sherlock revealed his personality in the moment he kills a person, calls himself a sociopath and does the "weakest, weakest thing to do".. Benedict might not have intended it this way, but it sounds a bit like reducing Sherlock´s personality to the negative traits he shows in that moment. And again I wonder what stronger and better choices there would have been for him? Go to prison and let Magnussen have the family he swore to protect under his sweaty thumb?

Last edited by Zatoichi (November 4, 2014 10:15 pm)

November 4, 2014 10:17 pm  #1088

I think he did not have a better choice in that very moment. The problem was that he realised his error too late. Had he known about the mind palace, there might have been a better solution. Not sure which, though. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2014 10:26 pm  #1089

Exactly my point, Susi.. For me it was a controlled decision, he had to choose between two evils and chose the one that would keep his friends and brother safe. It´s horrible, but I think it was the only right thing to do in this circumstance. If he had snapped and resorted to violence although there would have been other ways to resolve it I´d agree, it´s the weakest thing to do, but like that..? 

November 4, 2014 10:39 pm  #1090

It is confusing - it's not really that different from the confrontation with Moriarty - he's prepared to use extreme methods for the power of good, in the end, and prepared to sacrifice himself to a great extent if needed.  I don't know if I'd call that weakness ... I suppose he means because the method involved resorting to violence and killing somebody who couldn't defend themselves, rather than using his wits.  Maybe it does show something about his personality in that moment - the lengths he will go to to protect people, his conviction, his "logical" thinking pattern, and his willingness to resort to the "weaker" route if there isn't a better way to go.  But I see what you mean about only the negative aspects being mentioned.

November 5, 2014 6:52 am  #1091

I just see it as Benedict giving a  refreshingly honest account of his character.

November 5, 2014 7:23 am  #1092

It's funny that he questions his writers so much!  He's talked before about having backstory for characters, but it sounds like he cross-examined Steven Moffat and insisted on it .

November 5, 2014 7:32 am  #1093

I don't blame him!

November 5, 2014 7:50 am  #1094

This seems to be from the actual Times of today so I can safely post it here. Congratulations, Benedict, such wonderful news:

https://twitter.com/Anythingbatch/status/529895940136923138

Last edited by SusiGo (November 5, 2014 7:51 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 5, 2014 7:56 am  #1095

GONGRATULATIONS!!!! That´s fantastic news!!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 5, 2014 8:01 am  #1096

About time, too!
Been waiting for this.
No surprise there.
It wasn't gossip.
It was obvious.
It has been so clear the whole of this year that he is desperately in love.
Marriage next year?
Babies soon after we hope.

November 5, 2014 8:02 am  #1097

Oh wow!!!
That's quick, but ALL THE BEST, BENNYBOY!!!
Sophie, you lucky girl....
And yesterday I had some thoughts about the two and thought oh well, be a bit warmer with each other.,,
LOL

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

November 5, 2014 8:09 am  #1098

It looks official, so.. CONGRATULATIONS!! 

November 5, 2014 8:13 am  #1099

Absolutely brilliant!
Congrats to Benedict and Sophie. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 5, 2014 9:22 am  #1100

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera