BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2014 5:36 am  #741

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

Now I did see Out of Africa, but a long time ago!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 12, 2014 5:43 am  #742

But Martin has a BAFTA for his role in Sherlock..
I just don't think this is going to be the part that BC gets many "big" awards for; I was thinking recently that while I often read comments from people saying how great Martin's acting is in Sherlock, I don't see too many about BC's acting in this particular role (outside of this forum, that is).
I don't see Sherlock beating True Detective or Fargo in the Emmys, tbh, as they are the "hot" shows of this year.
Congrats to Mr Brandauer though, of course.

Last edited by Tinks (June 12, 2014 5:45 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 12, 2014 5:48 am  #743

Which is a shame actually... I know I'm biased because I effin' love that man... but he's really talented and I think he does an amazing job with Sherlock...

But I suppose he's not being taken seriously? *sigh of sadness* 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 12, 2014 5:57 am  #744

Possibly people think he's over rated.
Which is rubbish, when I think of those actors who are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 12, 2014 6:35 am  #745

Well, I think "Sherlock" would not have acquired its cult status and been sold to so many countries if not for Benedict's acting. Maybe for many critics it is self-evident that he is at the core of the show and that the good performances of the other actors have to be stressed. Moreover, as far as I know Benedict has been recognised for portraying serious dramatic characters before Sherlock while Andrew Scott was not so very well-known and Martin had often played in comedies. 
Therefore I would not say that he is not praised for his performance outside this forum. 

As for nominations and awards: I just had a look - 9 nominations plus 5 won awards only for "Sherlock" (and these are only awards given by a jury). That is not bad. 

As for Brandauer - if you want to see him at his best watch "Mephisto". An older film but maybe his most brilliant part. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 12, 2014 6:35 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 12, 2014 6:45 am  #746

Yeah I've seen comments that he's overrated but I'd like to know who overrates him?
His fans? Because within the industry people talk about how polite and charming he is or how unusual his face is(!), but rarely do you see anyone comment in his acting ability, so I think if anything, he's underrated sometimes.
In relation to Sherlock, I think he's been brave in the way he's played this part.
He's thought very hard about the way this character would behave and has brought all those traits into it.
He's also credited the audience with enough intelligence to understand what he's doing, without being over obvious, so, for example, when he's being theatrical, that's Sherlock the drama queen, not Ben being too hammy!!
I admire him for it and I think he's made the show a joy to watch.
I just don't think this particular role allows him to display the things that people are looking for when they're handing out awards; they're more likely to choose something like Martin's emotional scene in HLV, imo.

@Susi. Sorry, I cross posted with you - I'll definitely check out Brandauer.
Also Andrew Scott was brilliant in a Chekov play that was on TV recently, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called; I enjoyed his performance much more than in Sherlock actually.

Last edited by Tinks (June 12, 2014 6:49 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 12, 2014 7:01 am  #747

This thing about people thinking Benedict is overrated simply isn´t true.
He was already praised for his acting after "Hawking", at the very start of his career and I didn´t notice one bad performance from him ever since.
Even people who irationaly hate him never dare to comment on his acting - they usually attack his appearance or his name.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 12, 2014 7:06 am  #748

I fully agree. Even with TFE there was a hardy a negative comment about his acting although the film itself was often severely criticised. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 12, 2014 7:47 am  #749

I agree about TFE - I was glad his acting was praised in that.
Most of the comments I've made about the perceptions of his performance relate to his role in Sherlock, alone.
But Nakahara, in broader terms - believe it or not, I've seen and heard many comments about him being overrated, seen him referred to as "wooden" a "ham" actor and as being the same in every role!!!
All completely ridiculous accusations, imo.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 12, 2014 7:51 am  #750

If someone is NOT the same in every role, then it is him. Even here on the board we have people who did not recognise him at once when seeing him in a totally different part. 
I think there are people who just hate him as a person (please do not get me started on that class/posh/public school thing again). And they convey this irrational hate to his work. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 12, 2014 7:51 am)

June 12, 2014 7:56 am  #751

Those comments are only the proof that his haters never really payed any attention to his acting and watched his performance with the preconcieved motion that he is a bad actor.
Wooden and the same in every role? Before those people were aware that they are watching BC, they usually didn´t even recognise that he is the same person behind his various roles (for example, many people who watched Atonement and then Sherlock didn´t notice that the same actor was portraying Sherlock and Paul Marshall).

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 12, 2014 8:57 am  #752

I agree with both of you - 100%

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

June 12, 2014 9:26 am  #753

Wooden and the same in every role... Tom Cruise comes to mind, but certainly not Benedict. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great thing for an actor to receive an award for his work, because it means that the audience or your colleaugues or a jury full of 'experts' appreciate what you're doing. And I'm sure that's a great thing.
Then again: how do you compare an art like acting? He's usually up against actors who played completely different parts than his and whose roles offered them different (maybe even better) opportunities to show their talents. Seriously, how do you compare something like this? It might be compareable, but only to a certain degree.
So I think yes, being nominated is an honour already, and I'm sure Benedict, the professional actor that he is, knows this and also knows that it's almost impossible to compare the performances of different actors.

That being said: I'd love to see him win an Oscar one day, just because I'd love to see him up there, for the whole world to see, giving an acceptance speech that will certainly bring tears to my eyes. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 12, 2014 10:10 am  #754

Exactly my thought. 

And yes to the rest as well. 

June 12, 2014 10:11 am  #755

I have a strong feeling he will win an Oscar some day... Not sure when, but I know it will happen

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (June 12, 2014 10:12 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 12, 2014 11:14 am  #756

Tinks wrote:

Most of the comments I've made about the perceptions of his performance relate to his role in Sherlock, alone.
But Nakahara, in broader terms - believe it or not, I've seen and heard many comments about him being overrated, seen him referred to as "wooden" a "ham" actor and as being the same in every role!!!

"Being the same in every role"? Hahaha these are the last words that could decsribe him. But I think that people who say things like that have only seen him in one, mabye two films and they think they know everything about him and his acting style. Well I think it's not to smart to reach the conclusion about somebody with knowing only a part of his/her work.

And I'm absolutely sure that one day we will hear "And Oscar goes to Benedict Cumberbatch" and Ben will do some funny, crazy thing like photobombing U2

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 12, 2014 11:26 am  #757

Tinks wrote:

They obviously haven't been watching the same films I've been watching.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 12, 2014 12:06 pm  #758

I often wonder if such displays of hatred towards Benedict aren´t just cases of "sour grapes": of jealousy felt by some of Ben´s colleagues and of some members of the audience towards the man who got so popular and well-known so quickly. I imagine that there is much rivarly and competition among actors because the number of good roles is limited and therefore such malicious rumours and deliberate snubs of more successful colleagues aren´t that unusual in that branch of culture.

That´s one of the reasons why I don´t care one bit if Benedict will ever win BAFTAs, Oscars or similar prices or not. If his acting performance resonates with me and leaves deep impression on me then it´s unimportant that some other people (who may be motivated by infighting, inner politics of their Tv channels or movie corporations and similar things) didn´t awarded him a price.

June 12, 2014 12:17 pm  #759

I quite agree, nakahara.
Still... awards might bring on even more offers for him to chose from (then again, maybe not, there seem to be no rules in that respect).
I'm quite content that he knows pretty well about his talent and what a great actor he is. And we know, and lots of people in the industry seem to know, as well.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 12, 2014 12:38 pm  #760

True. And it is a fact that getting an award does not necessarily mean more and better jobs. Nevertheless it is a form of recognition either by your audience which is nice or by people from your own trade which may be important as well. 

On the other hand we get to see his work which is what really matters. And I am sure that pleasing and entertaining and moving his audience and make them think is what really drives him. 

Board footera