BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2014 11:05 am  #601

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

gently69 wrote:

Because they don't have any new ideas of what they could ask. It's the worst interview starter I can imagine.

Benedict did so much brilliant work, to speak about.

Exactly - he has so much experience to speak about and so many things he can share with his fans... it´s a waste to persist with such an old unfunny jokes all the time.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 16, 2014 11:06 am  #602

Do people actually still talk to him about his name? It was funny at the beginning (though I never quite understand it. In my opinion Benedict's name is easy to remember and to spell, easier than Steven Moffat's for example, where it took me some time to remember it's two f's and one t ) but I thought the world moved on a long time ago. 

Some interviews aren't serious and I don't mind it but I really don't like questions about Benedict's face and him being a sex symbol. It don't think it should be discussed in his presence and he definately prefers talking about his job to talking about how beautiful he is or isn't.

Speaking of not good interviews, did you see the one when a woman asked him about Smaug's balls? This was the worst question EVER. And he tried to give a full, considered answer like he always does. Oh, Ben. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 16, 2014 11:11 am  #603

Marta wrote:

Do people actually still talk to him about his name? It was funny at the beginning (though I never quite understand it. In my opinion Benedict's name is easy to remember and to spell, easier than Steven Moffat's for example, where it took me some time to remember it's two f's and one t ) but I thought the world moved on a long time ago. 

Some interviews aren't serious and I don't mind it but I really don't like questions about Benedict's face and him being a sex symbol. It don't think it should be discussed in his presence and he definately prefers talking about his job to talking about how beautiful he is or isn't.

Speaking of not good interviews, did you see the one when a woman asked him about Smaug's balls? This was the worst question EVER. And he tried to give a full, considered answer like he always does. Oh, Ben. 

Did she really ask THAT?
My God, some interviewers are just.... unbelievable.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 16, 2014 11:17 am  #604

He takes it in such good part mostly too, because he's programmed to be polite, but sometimes it must drive him mad!
I'm surprised that Martin is so polite about all the daft questions he gets asked, too, because in his pre Sherlock days, he could sometimes be a bit prickly!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 16, 2014 11:22 am  #605

Bless them both, they must have the nerves of steel.

May 16, 2014 11:29 am  #606

nakahara, here's a link. The question popped put spontaneously so if she has changed the subject after Benedict's answers, it wouldn't have matter. But she didn't... Funny thing is, I still managed to learn a new English word from this conversation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 16, 2014 11:32 am  #607

Marta wrote:

nakahara, here's a link. The question popped put spontaneously so if she has changed the subject after Benedict's answers, it wouldn't have matter. But she didn't... Funny thing is, I still managed to learn a new English word from this conversation.

Thank you, it is a blast to read what some people are capable of!
At least it was educational for somebody, as you say.

May 16, 2014 12:10 pm  #608

nakahara wrote:

Marta wrote:

Did she really ask THAT?
My God, some interviewers are just.... unbelievable.

Oh yes I remember this. Wasn't that an uncomfortable question! But Ben took it in good stride, which is great! He has so much patience with these interviews, I've never seen him crack, especially when the questions just get incredibly repetitive and he patiently gives the same answers but answers them as if he's hearing them for the first time. What a gentleman.

So here's a question, what is, in your opinion, the best Ben interview you've seen? =)

May 16, 2014 12:34 pm  #609

nakahara wrote:

Marta wrote:

SHE is so stupid...! She also did interviews with the STID cast, did you see the one she did with Simon and Alice...? She also asked them about Benedict and at one point her facial expressions just made me want to punch her in the face. Seriously.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 16, 2014 12:38 pm  #610

I haven't watched this so far. That's unbelievable stupid!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 16, 2014 12:47 pm  #611

SolarSystem wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Marta wrote:

SHE is so stupid...! She also did interviews with the STID cast, did you see the one she did with Simon and Alice...? She also asked them about Benedict and at one point her facial expressions just made me want to punch her in the face. Seriously.

I really don't like that interview with Simon Pegg and Alice Eve for so many reasons...I find it embarrassing.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 16, 2014 12:58 pm  #612

Hmm, I didn't mind her so much. I thought that's just her personality; who knows, she may be putting on an appearance just for the interview. But yeah, I agree with you that was a rather stilted interview. The one with Daniele Rizzo, though, was nothing short of awesome. XD

May 16, 2014 1:06 pm  #613

Well, to me she comes across as being totally non-professional.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 16, 2014 1:15 pm  #614

In the STID interview, if I'm honest, I don't like the way either she or Alice come across.
But yeah, her interviews are far too "bubblegum" for me!!! Just no substance to them whatsoever.

There's a nice audio interview somewhere on YouTube where James Rhodes is talking to Ben about classical music, Sherlock and Frankenstein (although even James asks about his name!!) - it's short but nice and the ending is very sweet!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 16, 2014 5:25 pm  #615

That's why I think that most interviews are good only to learn a new word in English ( like Marta said ) or listen to Ben's beautiful voice. It's so annoying when you're looking for good, professional interview and most of them contain only talking about beeing sexy, having funny name and lots of other rubbish that most people are tired of or simply not interested. There are some good interviews, for example BAFTA in conversations, but sadly these stupid ones are outnumbered. Although I love Ben for giving so complex answers to any question that he was asked ( even this silly or idiotic ones). That's really rare talent.

Btw, recently I watched his speach after receivnig Britannia Awards and my first thought was "What a class this man has, it's unbelievable." He was so modest, charmful and funny ( in that intelligent way ) that I could watch this speach all day

If you haven't seen that, here you have - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMdN2J5buU

Last edited by MartaSt (May 16, 2014 5:26 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 16, 2014 5:57 pm  #616

Yeah, that acceptance speech is just mind-blowing.

May 16, 2014 6:04 pm  #617

Certainly my fave to date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 17, 2014 2:24 am  #618

I agree with you about the English learning benefits of listening to Ben, MartaSt. He uses such interesting words that I don't normally use in everyday English (catharsis, esoteric, specious, to name a few off-hand) and I scramble to find their meanings! He has a beautiful range of vocabulary and expressions and it's just so much joy listening to him. =)

There are very few instances when a rare interviewer comes along and asks a question that actually makes him stop and think carefully, and he would gush, "gosh, that's such a good question." and he really gives 100% in his answers rather than just parroting whatever he said from a previous interview. I love those moments.

A good example would be these two interviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yBRLngIcI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY9lcIHzREc

Last edited by Le Bear Polar (May 17, 2014 2:41 am)

May 17, 2014 6:09 am  #619

MartaSt wrote:

That's why I think that most interviews are good only to learn a new word in English ( like Marta said ) or listen to Ben's beautiful voice. It's so annoying when you're looking for good, professional interview and most of them contain only talking about beeing sexy, having funny name and lots of other rubbish that most people are tired of or simply not interested. There are some good interviews, for example BAFTA in conversations, but sadly these stupid ones are outnumbered. Although I love Ben for giving so complex answers to any question that he was asked ( even this silly or idiotic ones). That's really rare talent.

Btw, recently I watched his speach after receivnig Britannia Awards and my first thought was "What a class this man has, it's unbelievable." He was so modest, charmful and funny ( in that intelligent way ) that I could watch this speach all day

If you haven't seen that, here you have - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMdN2J5buU

Just wanted to say yes to the BAFTA in conversation interview and the posted acceptance speech. There also are part of my favourite performances of Benedict. And I would say the Q&A from Poland is brilliant as well.
It's just unbelievable how he presents himself in that occasions. What he mostly says are well thought and highly educated answers which are impressing. If I sometimes see other actors doing this ... it's a difference like day and night.

Last edited by gently69 (May 17, 2014 6:12 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 17, 2014 6:07 pm  #620

I finally found the time to watch that QA from Poland! What an amazing watch that was! To be allowed to see him talk about something he's so passionate about, and like it's been said, only that for a chance and none of the weird questions etc...

Him showing off his generosity made me giggle, see that's why I love him. He has an awesome sense of humour!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera