BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2014 9:51 am  #181

Re: Let's talk all things lovely about Ben...

I knew there's a rub in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2014 9:52 am  #182

Thanks for that link, Susi.
Swantje Karich, I have to say, has some very interesting ideas about the characters Benedict played so far. Calling Sherlock "sanft" (gentle) and "verspielt" (playful) is quite something... I think I need to thing about this for a while...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 7, 2014 9:56 am  #183

Also read the whole article now. Solar, you are right. Gentle and playful? Sherlock?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2014 10:01 am  #184

Hmmm - if that's what they're taking from his performance as Sherlock then I think it's safe to say I won't agree with the interpretation of his characters!
I'm surprised that the article criticised his performance of Assange, though - most reviews I read and heard agreed that he put in a great performance, even though the Movie wasn't well received.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 7, 2014 10:03 am  #185

That's a beautiful passage, Susi.

One of the best and most accurate (IMO) descriptions of him out there. Thank you for sharing.

I'm clueing for looks

April 7, 2014 10:07 am  #186

Tinks wrote:

I'm surprised that the article criticised his performance of Assange, though - most reviews I read and heard agreed that he put in a great performance, even though the Movie wasn't well received.

That also is what I read most times about it. The film was "weak" but Benedict did at least proper acting.
But the critic also had a strange sense of Sherlock so ...

(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2014 10:08 am  #187

btw: Does anyone know which version they write about in general? Original or dubbed?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 7, 2014 10:09 am  #188

Tinks wrote:

Hmmm - if that's what they're taking from his performance as Sherlock then I think it's safe to say I won't agree with the interpretation of his characters!

Yes, I don't quite know where she sees the "strain" that it takes for Benedict to keep up the level of Assange's delusion to the very end. I'm sure it has been very demanding for him to be in (Assange's) character the whole time, but IMO this doesn't transfer onto the screen. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 7, 2014 10:13 am  #189

Perhaps she is one of the supporter of Assange's view of things. If she doesn't agree with the whole story of the film she also has problems with Benedict's performance then.

(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2014 10:15 am  #190

And that would be quite unprofessional, because she should be able to separate the movie as a whole from the performance of the actors.

April 7, 2014 10:24 am  #191

Right. Was just an idea ... a suggestion why ... I can't see a reason why she criticise Benedict's performance this way. Perhaps we are just dazzled and can't think straight. No we aren't.

(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2014 10:31 am  #192

Ahem, yes. This is a bit stranged indeed. And that was even before series 3. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 7, 2014 10:34 am  #193

And even then Sherlock was only a little bit "gentle and playful".

(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2014 10:36 am  #194

Yes. I really do not know how you can come to this conclusion after watched just series 1 and 2.
And this is maybe the only review I read that does not speak positively about Benedict' Assange. But if this is her opinion, fine. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 7, 2014 10:46 am  #195

Doesn't make things better or worse for Benedict or TFE so... who really cares?
But her first remarks ... brilliant and true.

This one was posted somewhere else in here before and it helped me to realise WHY I am addicted to Benedict. (When I was still confused about it ...)
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-07-30/why-benedict-cumberbatch-is-a-sex-god-according-to-body-language-experts

Last edited by gently69 (April 7, 2014 10:47 am)

(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2014 11:03 am  #196

Slightly off the current topic but there's a tumblr post from the con which is endearing and (IMO) intriguing....

"This man is fabulous and charismatic. After the panel(question and answer) he stopped to talk to a young boy and asked if he could borrow his lightsaber and started swinging it around saying Vroom Vroom Vroom.
This man said filming the Hobbit was ‘cool’ and spelt ‘thanks’ wrong on my autograph… The face he is pulling in the top right corner is him noticing his mistake.
Conclusion: Benedict is a 5 year old in a mans body."

Star Wars?!? Maybe a hint, maybe nothing!

I'm clueing for looks

April 7, 2014 11:21 am  #197

He's a manchild!
I dunno about Star Wars - it's gone very quiet generally as regards casting rumours.
I've a feeling J J Abrams won't cast anyone from the Star Trek Movies but I'm happy to be proved wrong
If he was in it, from what I've read, it could be a small role, moving centre stage in the next episode.
So, another small part, but I'd be happy for him because I think he'd love to have done it.
My gut feeling is, he's not going to be doing it, but then Richard iii came completely out of left field, so who knows what else he's got up his sleeve?!

Last edited by Tinks (April 7, 2014 11:23 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 7, 2014 2:29 pm  #198

It's now come out that they'd actually started some filming for Star Wars VII and casting is mostly complete.  But of course, no details.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 7, 2014 2:32 pm  #199

Wow! They kept that under wraps then!
Still not completely impossible, I suppose - a small role may not require him to join filming until later on, but I really don't think it's the case, sadly.
I wonder if Gary Oldman ended up being cast?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 7, 2014 3:56 pm  #200

clareiow wrote:

Slightly off the current topic but there's a tumblr post from the con which is endearing and (IMO) intriguing....

"This man is fabulous and charismatic. After the panel(question and answer) he stopped to talk to a young boy and asked if he could borrow his lightsaber and started swinging it around saying Vroom Vroom Vroom.
This man said filming the Hobbit was ‘cool’ and spelt ‘thanks’ wrong on my autograph… The face he is pulling in the top right corner is him noticing his mistake.
Conclusion: Benedict is a 5 year old in a mans body."

Star Wars?!? Maybe a hint, maybe nothing!

A link to that post would be nice.... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera