BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2014 7:40 pm  #1

Brilliant fantasy set in the modern world: The Bartimaeus Trilogy

I absolutely cannot recommend these books enough to anyone who likes a good fantasy book. They're nice and long so they'll keep you occupied, and some of the best written books I've ever had the pleasure to become addicted to. They're set in a modern day earth, though with a slightly altered history. They're set in a word where beings like djinn exists, and humans can perform magical feats by summoning them as slaves, the magicians who can do so ruling as a somewhat tyrranical upper class. The books are dark and serious in their themes, but also humourous and witty, especially the portions told from the point of view of the titular djinn, Bartimaeus. Anyone else read them?

March 21, 2014 8:36 pm  #2

Re: Brilliant fantasy set in the modern world: The Bartimaeus Trilogy

I heard a lot about it! I downloaded it a week ago (yeah I know, not good!) and it seems really endearing (but I only read 100 pages from the first book). 

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 21, 2014 9:00 pm  #3

I like to think of downloading as borrowing from friends across the world! If something turns out to be well worth buying I do as soon as I can, to support the people who make such amazing stuff. Hope you like them! They're definitely some of the best I've ever read.

March 21, 2014 9:23 pm  #4

Actually I bought a reader six months ago and unfortunately electronic electronic books are so pricey ! But I always buy the books I really like (especially comics and comics strips). My favorite books are like trophys, proudly exposed in my bookshelves haha. 

Yeah, I like it It's been a long time I haven't read a fantasy book (Lord of the Rings doesn't count I guess. My last fantasy book was the Call of Cthulhu!) and it's not difficult to read it (for a non-native, I mean). 

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 21, 2014 9:24 pm)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

Board footera