BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2012 8:27 am  #1

"I don't think so, do you?"

I don’t know yet what to make of Irene’s sentence.
How do you understand it?
What does it refer to?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 14, 2012 8:41 am  #2

Re: "I don't think so, do you?"

I've always thought that was a weird line too.

They both hear Sherlock's text tone go off, and both realise that he must be in the building. John automatically goes off to try and find him, Irene stops him. But why? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 14, 2012 8:54 am  #3

Because she knows, and so does John, that Sherlock neither wants nor needs comforting from John just then. It's always been a straight forward line to me. Demonstration, I guess, the she also knows Sherlock well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 14, 2012 9:10 am  #4

What like...he just needs to be on his own right now kind of thing??

April 14, 2012 9:25 am  #5

Yup, exactly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 14, 2012 11:29 am  #6

He has also heard John deny he is gay and Irene assert that she is gay. He also overheard John declare that 'we are not a couple' and Irene refute that with ' yes you are!'. Apart from learning that Irene is alive, which must be a shock, even for Sherlock, he also hears other things that may be a surprise to him. He also hears Irene say about look at the both of 'us', showing the effect Sherlock has had on both of them. Frankly this may also be a surprise to him as most people remember just tell him to 'Piss off!'

Irene clearly understands that Sherlock needs to be left alone to sort himself out over what has just happened.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 14, 2012 2:46 pm  #7

There would be no purpose in going after him. He's pretty angry at being fooled.
Irene may also think Sherlock may be upset over what he heard, but we know that's not really true. She may be in love with him but he doesn't fall in love.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 14, 2012 6:35 pm  #8

He doesn't really have much time to think about it though because when he gets back home he has to deal with the Mrs Hudson situation.

April 15, 2012 8:33 am  #9

How much time does a high functioning sociopath need to think about something so mundane anyway?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 15, 2012 1:23 pm  #10

Quite helpful to the CIA guys that both John and Sherlock are out of the building. Bet they wish Sherlock didn't come back!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 6, 2012 8:17 am  #11

Excuse me?
They are sitting WAITING for his return.
Oh, did you mean afterwards?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 9, 2012 11:29 pm  #12

Well, they were in the middle of torturing Mrs Hudson, I'm not sure they were waiting for Sherlock...he just turned up at the right time.

October 10, 2012 7:08 am  #13

Wow, am I really so out of kilter here?
I assumed they set everything up, awaiting Sherlock's return?
So the door was just randomly left open, they just happened to hear/see Sherlock return, so they assembled themselves into a tableau, until he appeared?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 18, 2012 11:55 am  #14

During this episode which involves the flight of the dead the conspiracy theory surrounding the bombing of Coventry during the second world war by the Luftwaffe is mentioned.

Last edited by brittlee (March 10, 2015 5:53 am)

December 18, 2012 12:27 pm  #15

besleybean wrote:

Wow, am I really so out of kilter here?
I assumed they set everything up, awaiting Sherlock's return?
So the door was just randomly left open, they just happened to hear/see Sherlock return, so they assembled themselves into a tableau, until he appeared?

They broke in,  probably one or two went straight upstairs & the other went to 'neutralise' Mrs Hudson's interference in their searching. They then dragged her upstairs, and started interogating her as to where the phone was. If they were simply ;aying in wait for Sherlock, why hit an old woman & traumatise her the way they did?
Now not knowing any thugs personally, I would assume the door being left ajar was not something they paid too much attention to; their thoughts were on finding the phone.
I don't recall them being in any 'set' positions when he entered; the main guy was standing over Mrs Hudson, one of the 2 thugs looking out the front window the other standing beside the main guy. Yep they probably heard Sherlock on the squeaky step but by no means is there any indication that they were waiting for him for any length of time.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

February 19, 2013 6:07 pm  #16

tobeornot221b wrote:

I don’t know yet what to make of Irene’s sentence.
How do you understand it?
What does it refer to?

John says, "I don't know about Sherlock, but..." and goes on to say he isn't gay.
Irene says that she is gay.
Then the phone goes off and she says, "I don't think so, do you?"

She's obviously talking about the question of Sherlock being gay.

February 19, 2013 6:11 pm  #17

No, she doesn't want John to follow Sherlock.

February 22, 2013 6:48 pm  #18

I don't really understand why there is any speculation about that line.
I simply thought that Irene knew that Sherlock must be upset after when he had just heard. He'd thought Irene to be dead and John had just told Irene about Sherlock not eating and hardly saying a word for days - she knows how her apparent death had affected him, then she notices that he's there and has probably heard everything they had said, and then he just storms out of the building. He clearly is in shock, probably angry, disappointed, confused - Irene sees that and understands that he now would need some time for himself. So she tells John to give Sherlock some time to calm down.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 22, 2013 6:49 pm  #19

Quite so.

February 22, 2013 7:09 pm  #20

I agree with you, Lily. Well said. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera